The self driving car will run over and kill a few humans before it's perfected. So pax might still not feel safe with the self-driving car and until it's 100% proof, yellow will still be there. Sometime in the 2020's until we see one in NYC but definitely not anytime soon
Here're some reason why an autonomous car will never work in a major city like NYC.
1) An AI will be programmed to yield to pedestrians and bicycles. Have you tried making a right turn on 36th Street from 6th Ave in the morning?
2) I doubt they will program autonomous cars to double park or stop at bus stops to pick up passengers.
3) Dumb passengers, people are going to hop on wrong car a lot
4) Luggage, not sure how it will manage to let passengers to load and unload their bags.
5) GPS accuracy and tunnels. City will have to install antennas inside every tunnels and areas without LOS (line of sight)
6) Liability, God knows what these passengers are going to do inside these cars without a driver present. Eat, drink, smoke, sleep, fight, pee, poop, etc
7) Occupancy, people are not going to get out of the car to give other passengers ways to the 3rd row seats. Also, riders can and will abuse the system by bringing more passengers than claimmed, if you drive a XL or SUV you know it very well.
List can go on and on but those are some of the reasons why I doubt it will ever work in NYC
Plus the liability from people looking for a payday. There are people out there who will make it their day job to try and get hit by these cars. So these cars will be designed to run at no more than 20 mph in the city. And every time they detect movement ahead they will stop until the pedestrian has crossed the other side of the road. Can you imagine the traffic. I don't think we have much to fear from self driving cars.
A forum community dedicated to Uber drivers and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about taxes, documents, visas, travel, car care, finances, banking, maintenance, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!