Uber Drivers Forum banner

Are you more likely to put up with bad behavior from pax if they're physically or mentally disabled?

• Yes, I recognize those individuals require additional patience and I'm happy to give it to them.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • No, I'm not required to put up with abuse regardless capacities of the person giving it.

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Take the ride, but at the first sign of attitude/ aggression, cancel.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Take the ride and put up with it. We drive the general public. It comes with the territory.

Votes: 18 22.2%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had something pretty shitty happen while ridesharing the other night and would like some feedback on the situation. I picked up two young male passengers, and one appeared to be "special needs" seeming both physically and mentally disabled.

As he was walking to my car he was walking really weird, it was obvious something was wrong. When he entered my car and sat in the back, both his legs were between the front seats and laying on the center console. He had to physically pull his legs with his hands off the center console and move them back where they should be. So he must’ve had some condition where he didn’t really have much control over his body, but he was talking normal.

The ride was supposed to only be 15 minutes long but halfway through the special-needs guy insisted that I take different directions that made the ride change to 25 minutes long instead. As I realize the more I kept following his directions the longer it would take us to get there, I decided to go back to taking the original directions and his anger escalated. I tried to calmly tell him that wasn’t the right way but it didn’t work.

Honestly I was really scared. I was almost going to stop at a gas station and drop them off. The way he got angry over directions wasn’t even necessary. Unfortunately the closest gas station was 10 min away and it was probably closed. I felt helpless. His friend who booked the ride had to calm him down and convince him to let me take the original directions.

Eventually I decided to ignore the angry guy and just continue driving. It wouldn’t have made a difference if I canceled because they could still rate me. Sure enough I got a 1* and it wasn’t even my fault. I don’t know if he was purposefully giving me the wrong directions so he can complain and get a free ride.

Then when I dropped them both off, the special needs guy had the nerve to ask me to drive him home and he would pay cash. I lied and said I had a ride after. I heard him chewing gum too and I noticed after he left there was gum sticking to the seatbelt. He did it in a way where it’s easy to remove with ice.

Honestly the whole thing really upset me and I took a break from driving. I’ll be driving tonight though. I just needed a break after that. I called Uber support right after it happened but the only thing they could tell me is they won’t match me with him again.

Of course.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I had something pretty shitty happen while ridesharing the other night and would like some feedback on the situation. I picked up two young male passengers, and one appeared to be "special needs" seeming both physically and mentally disabled.

As he was walking to my car he was walking really weird, it was obvious something was wrong. When he entered my car and sat in the back, both his legs were between the front seats and laying on the center console. He had to physically pull his legs with his hands off the center console and move them back where they should be. So he must've had some condition where he didn't really have much control over his body, but he was talking normal.

The ride was supposed to only be 15 minutes long but halfway through the special-needs guy insisted that I take different directions that made the ride change to 25 minutes long instead. As I realize the more I kept following his directions the longer it would take us to get there, I decided to go back to taking the original directions and his anger escalated. I tried to calmly tell him that wasn't the right way but it didn't work.

Honestly I was really scared. I was almost going to stop at a gas station and drop them off. The way he got angry over directions wasn't even necessary. Unfortunately the closest gas station was 10 min away and it was probably closed. I felt helpless. His friend who booked the ride had to calm him down and convince him to let me take the original directions.

Eventually I decided to ignore the angry guy and just continue driving. It wouldn't have made a difference if I canceled because they could still rate me. Sure enough I got a 1* and it wasn't even my fault. I don't know if he was purposefully giving me the wrong directions so he can complain and get a free ride.

Then when I dropped them both off, the special needs guy had the nerve to ask me to drive him home and he would pay cash. I lied and said I had a ride after. I heard him chewing gum too and I noticed after he left there was gum sticking to the seatbelt. He did it in a way where it's easy to remove with ice.

Honestly the whole thing really upset me and I took a break from driving. I'll be driving tonight though. I just needed a break after that. I called Uber support right after it happened but the only thing they could tell me is they won't match me with him again.

Of course.
You lost me at "his legs were through the front and resting on the console".

Disability is no excuse.
Never tolerate abuse.
Never EVER relinquish authority of "your" vehicle.

If you're afraid, end the ride, call 911, drive to the police dept, stay in an area where you have witnesses. You had options.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
I've done 5,000 rides and I've never got in an argument with a pax. You want to go ten miles out of the way to get to your destination? Sure! I get paid by the mile and minute, I don't care.

Looking back, there were one or two drunk groups I should have kicked out. But I just sucked it up and drove. Kept my mouth shut. Once they're out it's over.

But I don't drive the drunks anymore. So I rarely get abusive riders.

·
Administrator
6,731 Posts
Are you sure he wasn't just a disabled jerk? Or a disabled jerk high on drugs?

I know many people in the special needs world and have seen all kinds of behavior but your description of the pax sounds like he had more going on - like drugs. In the end, it doesn't really matter though. I'm glad you're okay.

I don't care if the pax is fully able or missing all arms and legs, I am not putting up with abusive behavior from anyone.

And yes, send the footage to Uber.

·
Banned
4,826 Posts

Disability is no excuse.
Never tolerate abuse.

If you're afraid, end the ride, call 911, drive to the police dept, stay in an area where you have witnesses. You had options.
I mean I get your frustration

But you gotta understand they're not as reasonable or logical as we are right
So it's not intentional ?

You just gotta deal with it best as u can

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
me hot headed x repo driver. i would keep taking the way the app says tell them sorry im following the app ! if you were sure its quicker then the way he directed you. Sit back listen to the stereo. Drive.
if pax says something offer to pull over where ever you are even in the middle of the freeway ! drop them off if they dont like your directions.
If they calm down continue the drive .If they get shitty kick them out i dont give a ..... where were at my car my rules disabled so am i get the ...... out ! No i wont put up with attitude from anybody except my wife . lol. big bosses always b! its normal.

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
It's really easy to say it in the moment but not everyone in the moment can react like that.

the disabled pax probably sensed that about OP.

@Clarity i hope this doesn't turn you off from picking up the next passenger that appears or is disabled, and hopefully this helps you if there is a next time, to do as others have suggested and pull over and cancel the ride, ask the passenger to pls get out, order another ride, etc.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked Uber support if they wanted footage of the incident and this is the response I got:

Thank you for following up.

We appreciate that you have a video of this trip, however, we do not require any further evidence to decide on the outcome here. As previously discussed, we are further reviewing this rider's account as a result of your report.

If you feel this matter needs to be reported to the police, Uber can cooperate fully within providing any information they request regarding the incident. You can have the reporting officer reach out to us at lert.uber.com for further information.

We hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's really easy to say it in the moment but not everyone in the moment can react like that.
I'm not sure what you mean by "say it in the moment" since I don't know what "it" is, but I felt very scared in the moment. I thought that was going to be the first time I had to call the cops. I am glad I remained calm and I didn't say or do anything that could be used against me. If Uber does happen to review audio since they automatically record audio, they'll hear all the nasty things that guy said.

·
Banned
7,360 Posts

Disability is no excuse.
Never tolerate abuse.

That's when you cancel the ride and 1 star the pax. As much as I empathize with people who have disabilities I never allow them to disrespect me or my property

·
Banned
7,360 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "say it in the moment" since I don't know what "it" is, but I felt very scared in the moment. I thought that was going to be the first time I had to call the cops. I am glad I remained calm and I didn't say or do anything that could be used against me. If Uber does happen to review audio since they automatically record audio, they'll hear all the nasty things that guy said.
Uber doesn't give a 💩, never contact support, they're worse than any passenger.

·
Banned
3,088 Posts
Uber probably gets a thousand reports a day of misbehaving pax or misbehaving drivers. What are they reasonably supposed to do with them all?
Investigate, and handle appropriately like a company that has some sense of good business.. if they cant handle it then get out the damn business...sorry ass company ..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts