Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this last weekend was my first time out and about. On my second night (Saturday), a customer ordered an Uber pickup. It turned out the ride was for a friend in their group. They changed the destination twice because their friend was so drunk he couldn't even walk straight nor without assistance. When I asked they said they were pretty sure of this guys address and loaded him into my car. During our 15 minute ride I tried to keep him interactive with me so he didn't either pass out or throw up all over my car. Once to his apartment he did recognize it and I saw someone exiting the gate so I asked to have it held. I then had to assist the guy from the car and asked his apartment number. I walked this guy up 3 flights of stairs and once to the door I stayed until he was able to unlock his door, I got him through the threshold (I never entered), made sure door got shut and he locked it. I left a voicemail for the uber contact letting them know he was home safe.

I apologize for the long message, but I'm curious as to whether or not I should contact uber, have not accepted the request or was doing this the right thing to do? I wouldn't have been able to rest easy if I was unsure of his safety as I'd like to have someone do the same for me. TIA

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
So this last weekend was my first time out and about. On my second night (Saturday), a customer ordered an Uber pickup. It turned out the ride was for a friend in their group. They changed the destination twice because their friend was so drunk he couldn't even walk straight nor without assistance. When I asked they said they were pretty sure of this guys address and loaded him into my car. During our 15 minute ride I tried to keep him interactive with me so he didn't either pass out or throw up all over my car. Once to his apartment he did recognize it and I saw someone exiting the gate so I asked to have it held. I then had to assist the guy from the car and asked his apartment number. I walked this guy up 3 flights of stairs and once to the door I stayed until he was able to unlock his door, I got him through the threshold (I never entered), made sure door got shut and he locked it. I left a voicemail for the uber contact letting them know he was home safe.

I apologize for the long message, but I'm curious as to whether or not I should contact uber, have not accepted the request or was doing this the right thing to do? I wouldn't have been able to rest easy if I was unsure of his safety as I'd like to have someone do the same for me. TIA
So he passed out alone in his apartment and is now dead from alcohol poisoning or choked on his own vomit?

If he's that drunk his friends should have stayed with him. And to answer your question, with a vomit possibility that high I probably would have driven off. I have vomit bags but the pax have to look capable of using them IMHO.

I'm also not going to risk some drunk guy falling on me as I help him up stairs. No work men's comp, remember?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Fuzzy. I appreciate your reply and also your opinion. Other drivers' opinions are what I'm seeking, whether it's agreed or disagreed. I definitely feel this was more of an ethical/do the right thing call. Unfortunately Uber doesn't prepare one for this situation.

And absolutely, there is no workers comp. his friends were pretty drunk as well but headed off to another place to party. My mom/ethical part of me is why I took on the ride. He lived fairly far away from where they were and the last thing this guy needed was to keep partying. I feel they made the best possible decision yet not the best means. Considering their state as well, it was more beneficial to get the guy home rather than risk him abandoned or passed out some where.

I agree with your entire statement. I am hoping someone could shed light on the uber policies or rules behind this and whether I should report this matter to uber. If so, how do I go about it?

·
Premium Member
4,537 Posts

I would never accept an egregiously lone drunk offered to me by his friends. You got lucky this time, but often those types of riders never end well. There are liabilities you can't even imagine that might occur if something went wrong. I would have laid on heavily a guilt trip on those so-called "friends" for pushing him off to you when it was their responsibility to see their friend home safely. Who are these people?
What I do is ask him/her to sit down, try and sober up, and call back in 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Thank you Fuzzy. I appreciate your reply and also your opinion. Other drivers' opinions are what I'm seeking, whether it's agreed or disagreed. I definitely feel this was more of an ethical/do the right thing call. Unfortunately Uber doesn't prepare one for this situation.

And absolutely, there is no workers comp. his friends were pretty drunk as well but headed off to another place to party. My mom/ethical part of me is why I took on the ride. He lived fairly far away from where they were and the last thing this guy needed was to keep partying. I feel they made the best possible decision yet not the best means. Considering their state as well, it was more beneficial to get the guy home rather than risk him abandoned or passed out some where.

I agree with your entire statement. I am hoping someone could shed light on the uber policies or rules behind this and whether I should report this matter to uber. If so, how do I go about it?
Uber doesn't give a s***. You took the ride and they got their money. You can email them and get their "Great job" cut and paste reply if you want. No point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would never accept an egregiously lone drunk offered to me by his friends. You got lucky this time, but often those types of riders never end well. There are liabilities you can't even imagine that might occur if something went wrong. I would have laid on heavily a guilt trip on those so-called "friends" for pushing him off to you when it was their responsibility to see their friend home safely. Who are these people?
What I do is ask him/her to sit down, try and sober up, and call back in 30 minutes or so.
Great advice. Thank you. I will keep that in mind. Picking up complete strangers that can be in any type of inebriated state (or even sober) is always going to come with its risks and being a female can increase those risks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I never get out of my car,unless I have to open the trunk and no matter what never ever touch the pax. While ubering it's very easy to get caught up in the moment and forget that these are complete strangers who you will probably never see again.. at all times be in control of the situation.. no matter what good you do,it's never appreciated nor compensated,however, if something went wrong,you can't imagine how stupid you will feel for being a good samaritan. Your safety comes first. Avoid making other people's problems your own. Enuff said

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never get out of my car,unless I have to open the trunk and no matter what never ever touch the pax. While ubering it's very easy to get caught up in the moment and forget that these are complete strangers who you will probably never see again.. at all times be in control of the situation.. no matter what good you do,it's never appreciated nor compensated,however, if something went wrong,you can't imagine how stupid you will feel for being a good samaritan. Your safety comes first. Avoid making other people's problems your own. Enuff said
Thank you Digits. This is definitely good advice for me to take with me. You make a very valid point. I have a family to take care of and though this was definitely a judgment call, your opinions proves a good point that could potentially put me in a criminal type case/situation.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Personally I would never allow a person who is not capable of being alone in my vehicle... IN MY VEHICLE. As a woman as well and as previously stated, so many things could go wrong in that situation. I, too, do not get out of my vehicle other than to clear the seat if I have personal belongings where a rider needs to sit (happened just once so far). I, too, do NOT touch a rider at all. Good luck with Ubering around JRoberts!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You should get a mod to change your screen name here. Uber might deactivate you if they can match you to an account.

Reactions: Digits
1 - 11 of 11 Posts