Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Got a text from Uber yesterday:

UBER: We are excited to be possibly launching Iowa City in the next couple of week [sic] and we will be at the Sheraton in downtown Iowa City - Conference Room Johnson 3 - to offer in-person support on Wed & Thurs from 10a-6p! Come see us if you have questions or need help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hopefully they let Cedar Rapids and Iowa City drivers drive in both places. Would be really nice if they could figure out a way to connect Iowa City drivers to passengers in CR looking to get back to Iowa City and vice versa. I'm thinking if I take someone to IC from CR then do a few rides in IC it could try to attach me to a rider looking to go to CR. Not sure how that would work.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Is there a lot of potential traffic between Iowa city and Cedar Rapids? That could be some good surge fares after games...
Is there a lot of potential traffic between Iowa city and Cedar Rapids? That could be some good surge fares after games...
It stinks right now from CR to IC. Mostly pickups from the CR airport where no surge allowed and then on down to IC. Too many dead miles coming back. Other runs from CR to IC have been non surges as well. Stopped doing them after the Jan rate cuts because there is no profit going there anymore. If there isn't any decent surges in IC then going there and back will still be a money loser and I will still refuse to go there.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
There's probably not as much business now because they have no way to uber back from Iowa City. You may see an increase. I've done many Des Moines to Ames rides but have never gotten lucky enough to get one from Ames back to Des Moines. Iowa City is a lot bigger than Ames though.

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep getting emails from uber about iowacity. I just email them back and said I will only drive uber if they are regulated. I'm not that desperate for the money, but if they play their little games, they I simply won't drive for them.
And I am well aware that uber doesn't care about their drivers, so uberites spare me the "I don't care nonsense".

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Today is the day. UBER launches in Iowa City today at 11 am.
Any idea anyone if CR drivers can pick up riders in IC.
What the boundries are? Coralville as well?
Can someone in IC ping a driver who's car is sitting in CR at the time/
Probably not but do CR drivers get paid IC rates working down there which are higher?

I emailed Uber these questions but no reply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good questions.
CR rate: Base: $0.85 and $0.70/mile; $0.11/min with a minimum ride of $3.95
IC rate: Base: $1.00 and $1.00/mile; $0.15/min with a minimum ride of $4.00

Seems like CR drivers should be paid the same since the areas are so close. I also wonder if CR drivers can drive there because if you pick up at the airport and go to Iowa City it would be nice to get fares there instead of driving dead miles back to CR. I really think they need to find a way to get drivers matched with riders that want to go to the same place. Probably won't happen but it would be good for riders and drivers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rate difference is crazy. For a trip from my home to specific location in Iowa City the estimated fare is $29-30. For a trip from that location back to my home the fare estimate is $40-54. The rates in CR need to be raised to match IC at least.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rate difference is crazy. For a trip from my home to specific location in Iowa City the estimated fare is $29-30. For a trip from that location back to my home the fare estimate is $40-54. The rates in CR need to be raised to match IC at least.
The current IC fare structure is there to attract both drivers and riders to Uber. When there are enough drivers on the system and new drivers are signing up at a high enough rate, Uber will reduce fares.

The inverse is true for CR. As long as there are enough new drivers signing up to replace those of us who quit going online, it would be stupid for Uber to raise fares in CR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like there is a shortage of drivers in CR today so far. Surge has been on a lot. I'm guessing some drivers are in IC instead. I only drive 1 or 2 nights a week and haven't in over a week. I may try it out again next week for a night or two.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The maps are up and they do not overlap. There is some dead space on 380 in between.

https://www.uber.com/cities/iowa-city/
https://www.uber.com/cities/cedar-rapids/
Golly. The cars are clustered around downtown IC like a swarm of ants on the PAX app already. With no surge I dont see it as being real profitable even at a $1 a mile.
The maps are up and they do not overlap. There is some dead space on 380 in between.

Looks like there is a shortage of drivers in CR today so far. Surge has been on a lot. I'm guessing some drivers are in IC instead. I only drive 1 or 2 nights a week and haven't in over a week. I may try it out again next week for a night or two.
Just did a run from the CR Airport to IC. Normally wouldn't do that run but curiosity got me.
Took a nice college kid down to the heart of IC. No tip of course. Logged off briefly. Logged back on and had to click an agreement from Uber to log in. Fought through detours and heavy traffic for 45 minutes getting out of there. No pings the entire time down there. No surge showing . Tons of drivers on the map. Total dud run. Still not sure with IC's regulations if a CR driver can pick up there. Once was enough for me.

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm with iowacity yellow cab. Screw uber and the measly $1.00/mile. I'll make more on the bar rush then uber because I can charge for additional pax. Uber drivers can pick up all the "1100 Arthur st, and lakeside apts etc pax for I care. lolol. I may not get as many fares, but uber will save us cabdrivers many headaches.

Do you really think you make a profit on $1/mile? Please. lol and before long it'll be about 50/mile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts