Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened to me a few nights ago and I thought I'd share what happened because if I knew then what I know now, I would have handled it differently. Pax and friend get in in Old Town with 2.0X surge, UberX, destination around Belmont and Pulaski. A few blocks from destination, a trip request comes in from the next pax a block away from the drop off, I accept. Then, when we get to pax1's destination, he tells me that was to drop off the friend, now he wants to change destination to his place which is another few miles. I tell him that's a problem because I accepted the next trip and I need to pick up that person. While still parked at destination 1, he put the new destination in through the app and navigation started directing me towards that location, but I'm thinking about pax2 and how I don't seem to have the option to cancel his ride, only navigate to pax1's second destination, so I tell him I have to end the trip and he'll have to request another Uber. He was cool about it and I tried to make him feel better that it'd probably be cheaper since he wouldn't be on the surge pricing, but I still felt bad (for kicking him out and missing out on surge miles). Anyway, once I cancelled his ride and he got out, I was expecting directions to pax2's location but there was nothing...so I think what happens in a situation like that is that when a second pax is in queue but pax1's destination is changed, Uber automatically cancels pax2's ride. Lesson learned - before accepting a "next trip" request, and you have multiple pax in the car...make sure they're all getting out at that destination.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
That's all on the PAX. You should have known ahead of time that you were doing regular taxi service. However, as I understand the new pricing of the updated app roll-out, they will get up-front pricing so taxi service will be a no-go anymore on UberX.

Today Uber tried pushing two South Loop fares on me some 10 minutes before I dropped off a McCormick Place PAX while I was still on the I55. I didn't accept because I knew it would be 20+ minutes before I made it over that way. Sometimes they're a little TOO aggressive with those fare assignments.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I tell him I have to end the trip and he'll have to request another Uber. He was cool about it and I tried to make him feel better that it'd probably be cheaper since he wouldn't be on the surge pricing, but I still felt bad (for kicking him out and missing out on surge miles).
Why do that? Take the pax to their second location - the stacked requester can wait. They've already been told by Uber that you're finishing up a trip. You'll just take a bit longer to get to them; that's all.

If the new pickup complains when you get to him/her just follow custom and blame Uber. "Yeah, I know... Uber's been making riders wait a long time lately. I contact them to complain, but they don't listen to me; I'm just a driver. I know they're making it tough on riders" etc.

And if you get taken too far away from the stacked request, just get them to cancel. Again, blame Uber. "I don't know why Uber assigned me to you; my dropoff was 1/2/5/10/etc miles from you" etc. The stacked pax will often cancel when they see you driving far away anyway.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
So this happened to me a few nights ago and I thought I'd share what happened because if I knew then what I know now, I would have handled it differently. Pax and friend get in in Old Town with 2.0X surge, UberX, destination around Belmont and Pulaski. A few blocks from destination, a trip request comes in from the next pax a block away from the drop off, I accept. Then, when we get to pax1's destination, he tells me that was to drop off the friend, now he wants to change destination to his place which is another few miles. I tell him that's a problem because I accepted the next trip and I need to pick up that person. While still parked at destination 1, he put the new destination in through the app and navigation started directing me towards that location, but I'm thinking about pax2 and how I don't seem to have the option to cancel his ride, only navigate to pax1's second destination, so I tell him I have to end the trip and he'll have to request another Uber. He was cool about it and I tried to make him feel better that it'd probably be cheaper since he wouldn't be on the surge pricing, but I still felt bad (for kicking him out and missing out on surge miles). Anyway, once I cancelled his ride and he got out, I was expecting directions to pax2's location but there was nothing...so I think what happens in a situation like that is that when a second pax is in queue but pax1's destination is changed, Uber automatically cancels pax2's ride. Lesson learned - before accepting a "next trip" request, and you have multiple pax in the car...make sure they're all getting out at that destination.
In a nutshell once pax 1 change his destination it automatically kicks out the 2nd request which is sent to someone else. Have had same thing happened to me.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
That's all on the PAX. You should have known ahead of time that you were doing regular taxi service. However, as I understand the new pricing of the updated app roll-out, they will get up-front pricing so taxi service will be a no-go anymore on UberX.

Today Uber tried pushing two South Loop fares on me some 10 minutes before I dropped off a McCormick Place PAX while I was still on the I55. I didn't accept because I knew it would be 20+ minutes before I made it over that way. Sometimes they're a little TOO aggressive with those fare assignments.
Seems a computer wouldn't do that, huh?

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
If the dropoff destination gets changed and it's going to increase the pick up of the stacked rider significantly, they get put back into the queue and most likely get another driver.

If it happens again, just change the destination in app.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts