Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Have you received a ping from Uber that turned out to be significantly farther than the app quoted?

When a driver gets motivated enough to document the deception (Screenshots)

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Manotas 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this.
A ping comes in and claims the rider is 1 minute away.
The driver cheerfully accepts the close ride, only to discover moments later that he has embarked on a 15+ minute unpaid journey, most likely to take the rider a short distance.
A total loss for the "independent contractor" driver who has no viable recourse when it comes to these money-losing situations that Uber inflicts on them.
See the 2 examples I got from a couple of days ago.
Ecoregion World Product Map Organism
Map Product World Slope Font

Feel free to share your experience & insights.

See less See more
#2 ·
The driver cheerfully accepts the close ride, only to discover moments later that he has embarked on a 15+ minute unpaid journey, most likely to take the rider a short distance.
A total loss for the "independent contractor" driver who has no viable recourse when it comes to these money-losing situations that Uber inflicts on them.
See the 2 examples I got from a couple of days ago. View attachment 28272 View attachment 28273

Could have been a glitch meant for Uber1.

#10 ·
I cancelled 3 in a row like this (these 2 and the first one that prompted me to start these screen-captures), and of course, got a time out for choosing (as an "independent contractor") to refuse to drive at a loss. And on top of it, my acceptance rate took a dive.

But that's besides the point.
The point is that Uber:
1. quotes false time estimates
2. does not provide actual distance to pickup
3. obscures distance rider wants to travel when everyone knows it's already entered in their system most of the time
4. threatens, punishes, & manipulates drivers who would like to avoid money-losing rides

And these screen captures are there to document these practices.
Sorry, they happen all too often to be brushed off as glitches.

#6 ·
They are doing it intentionally to prevent Lyft from picking up pax even when Lyft is close ser. Those who have a Lyft and uber apps can turn both on. Then from uber and Lyft try to request a ride. Uber will tell you it is the nearest of the two as much as they run on same device.

#8 ·
Happened to me.
I have both uber and Lyft apps on my iPad.
I was in the middle of nowhere as the only driver.
I got an uber request.
Pax told me she checked both uber cars and Lyft cars and nearest one was uber. I knew I was the only car and there was no other driver around.

#14 ·
Uber most certainly is manipulating the min to 1! they do it all the time on pool rides.
if its 1 min away, its a pool ride. you will make $1 less per fare or 20% less.
Its unbelievable really how bad uber treats drivers. Pool is a money losing drive for drivers.
the Pax app doesnt show pool anymore, just asks how many riders. and then pool is selected when they choose share the ride.
uber tells them they can save 50% by choosing this option.
you drive around town all day(10 hrs on app plus) with 15 pings and get paid $50 minus a tank of gas.
$4 hr seems about right. And now all we get is pool requests, since the pax app change. I decline all of them NOW.

#16 ·
See the 2 examples I got from a couple of days ago. View attachment 28272 View attachment 28273

I agree it's bullshit and likely intentional but if you're hip to the scam shouldn't you be suspicious when you're definitely not a minute from the beach and it's obvious that the pax is?

#18 ·
I think it was a bug. It existed for about a week and then it was gone. What is so stupid though is that the tech team does not communicate with support. So when you contact support instead of them reassuring you it is a KNOWN bug they try to walk you through how to fix the issue, which is a complete waste of every ones time.

#19 ·

4.6 Pax on an UberFool request???? I would cancel even if it was 1 min. away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.