Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Idk, but please don't go to Tires Plus, they charged me $852 for wheel bearings replacement and that was on top of the supposedly 10% discount they gave me. Make sure you get at least 3 quotes. I learned the hard way...from experience

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean hubs? Get them on ebay. Bring them in to local repair shop. Parts and labor should be under 200$ each
My fronts are wheel bearing hub assemblies, but the rear which is shot is not. It needs to be pressed out and a new bearing pressed in.

I was quoted $400 to have it replaced. This is just for one right rear bearing. Is that a good deal? Sounds too much to me.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
My fronts are wheel bearing hub assemblies, but the rear which is shot is not. It needs to be pressed out and a new bearing pressed in.

I was quoted $400 to have it replaced. This is just for one right rear bearing. Is that a good deal? Sounds too much to me.
For both its reasonable. If its just bearings not the entire assembly i would say 150$ each side for labor and maybe 25$ for the part is a premium price.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Thanks. I don't mind $250 for one, but where can I find this deal?
Its not a deal. Its less than 2 hours of labor per side. Someone well qualified should do it in under an hour. Keep searching. Pepboys has front wheel hub assembly at 2.5 hours. I can do that in less time without a lift. Unless you have to remove the differential i dont see why it would be more than 2 hours of labor

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I know 2 very honest and reasonable price mechanics, one in Rockville, the other in Lorton. Both do awesome work and won't overcharge you.

I send my mom to them I trust them so much. I'll PM you their info.

Anyone else need their info shoot me a PM. Honest mechanics are extremely rare these days.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know 2 very honest and reasonable price mechanics, one in Rockville, the other in Lorton. Both do awesome work and won't overcharge you.

I send my mom to them I trust them so much. I'll PM you their info.

Anyone else need their info shoot me a PM. Honest mechanics are extremely rare these days.
Thanks. I sent you a message.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
When you said Pepboy have it at 2.5 hours, means that the job will pay 2.5 labor hrs regardless how long it take.

All techs use the same reference to get paid.
What it change is the labour rate.

If the guy that offer to do it for in 1hr , it is usually a carpenter.

Find an small local shop or gas station , with a recomendation.

No dealer or franchises chains if yiu are the one paying.

Where is you base area, or where you live?
I can reccomend you someon in NW DC that is serious, good and reasonable.
Also will work with your schedule.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where are you located
dc proper?
Yes

When you said Pepboy have it at 2.5 hours, means that the job will pay 2.5 labor hrs regardless how long it take.

All techs use the same reference to get paid.
What it change is the labour rate.

If the guy that offer to do it for in 1hr , it is usually a carpenter.

Find an small local shop or gas station , with a recomendation.

No dealer or franchises chains if yiu are the one paying.

Where is you base area, or where you live?
I can reccomend you someon in NW DC that is serious, good and reasonable.
Also will work with your schedule.
Please do. I am from DC, but don't mind to drive to VA or MD

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd try the OpenBay app. Been using that for some time for my car, you'll get plenty of quotes from mechanics all around the dmv area who are part of the openbay network. I've usually gotten good prices.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
If you want to take a chance there are many mechanics that do part time work. Look in craigslist. Some will come out to your home or office and do the work. They will undercut repair shops drastically. Obviously you are taking a chance with a lot of unknowns, but if you can get the person to give you some references or you get a reference from a friend, that's an option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts