·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happens without fail.

How long you been driving?
You like it?
What don't you like?

It's like that old job application question: what's your biggest weakness?

I go with "I would like if uber allowed for people who had a bad experience and rated low would be allowed to explain so we can learn from mistakes"

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It happens without fail.

How long you been driving?
You like it?
What don't you like?

It's like that old job application question: what's your biggest weakness?

I go with "I would like if uber allowed for people who had a bad experience and rated low would be allowed to explain so we can learn from mistakes"
Ugh the answer is ALWAYS tips. Every. Single. Time. Or the pax will never be educated. Too many drivers still telling pax we aren't allowed to accept tips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh the answer is ALWAYS tips. Every. Single. Time. Or the pax will never be educated. Too many drivers still telling pax we aren't allowed to accept tips.
I have a dry erase board in between the front seats that says "Tipping is not mandatory nor is it included in your fare, they are always appreciated however!"

Followed by a cutesy tip sign. My most popular was:

Coming Soon
UBER: Get tips or drive trying
Featuring : A couple bucks.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Even tips are secondary. I mean maybe a close second but the reality is if Uber paid enough we wouldn't have to depend on tips.

I love it when pax ask what I like and don't like about the job.
I am quick to tell them that I love driving, I get along great with people, and it is awesome to be able to make your own schedule (although in reality, you really don't have much choice but to work long shifts on Friday and Saturdays to make any real money)

And then I go on to explain that the only lousy part about Uber is the flat rate is just too low. So basically our choices are to work the busiest six or eight hours a week to try to make 20 or $25 an hour.... but then even at $25 an hour six or eight hours a week is not enough. Or we can work 50 hours a week at $8 an hour and murder our cars for less than minimum wage. So in the end I personally choose to work all of those busiest hours and enough low-rate hours to supplement it. So I end up working about 35 hours for $350 after gas ..... or in other words minimum wage..... and when the car is dead I'll just be ass out.

Yes I literally tell the pax word for word what I just said above......

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I've never had a pax ask me a negative question like that. The question is usually "How long have you been driving Uber?" or "How do you like driving Uber?"

I keep it positive, no one wants to hear a whiner and no one wants to hear a sob story, this is the golden opening I take to solicit a tip in a positive re-enforcement manner:

"I enjoy doing Uber, I do it part time to bridge the gap in my bills and expenses, and it's definitely an interesting experience. I've met some great people while doing it. The only down side about Uber is that they are making it harder and harder to earn as the years go on, they seem to always be cutting their rates. Thankfully, Atlanta is a very generous city (which is a general lie, but getting better as more pax are educated!) and many tip me well so that helps pay for the extra expenses that most people don't realize Uber drivers have to pay for..."

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I have a dry erase board in between the front seats that says "Tipping is not mandatory nor is it included in your fare, they are always appreciated however!"

Followed by a cutesy tip sign. My most popular was:

Coming Soon
UBER: Get tips or drive trying
Featuring : A couple bucks.
That's a mouthful man, I would keep it short and simple. My philosophy is that if you say doing something is apprecaited, you are implying that it is not mandatory. Don't give them an easy out. "Tips are greatly appreciated!" and if you do want to make a side note below that "Tips are not included in your fare" is also sufficient.

Everything. The horrible rates, the no tipping policy that uber refuses to get rid of.
There is no longer an official "No Tipping" policy with Uber since July of 2016. You just need to educate the pax, even if it's one at a time...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a mouthful man, I would keep it short and simple. My philosophy is that if you say doing something is apprecaited, you are implying that it is not mandatory. Don't give them an easy out. "Tips are greatly appreciated!" and if you do want to make a side note below that "Tips are not included in your fare" is also sufficient.

There is no longer an official "No Tipping" policy with Uber since July of 2016. You just need to educate the pax, even if it's one at a time...
Yeah but I found myself repeating it over and over whenever tipping came up so I just wrote it.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Yeah but I found myself repeating it over and over whenever tipping came up so I just wrote it.
Why are you verbally giving them an out?

They read a sign that says "Tips are appreciated!" if they ask about it, asking if tipping is allowed or whatnot, just say "Yes, any little bit is helpful!" why re-enforce a negative that gives them an out? "Yes, but you don't have to tip me though" is basically what you are telling them. You might as well sell your tipping pitch exactly like that if you're going to predicate your tipping statement with the fact that it's not mandatory.

Soliciting tips is sales, you are selling the notion of being tipped. The best sales method is positive re-enforcement to encourage the idea of buying what you are selling. We know you don't have to buy my product, but that doesn't mean a good salesman would ever say "My product is great, but you don't have to buy it..."

That is basically what you are doing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
1- Rates are too low
2- No tipping
3- Too much liability pushed off on the driver
4- Uber is a super shady company and due to the lack of regulation can do essentially whatever they want while I have no recourse short of hiring a lawyer and suing them.

I generally tell people that I like the job itself, but feel that Uber (and to a slightly lesser but still considerable extent Lyft) are not good or reliable companies to work with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why are you verbally giving them an out?

They read a sign that says "Tips are appreciated!" if they ask about it, asking if tipping is allowed or whatnot, just say "Yes, any little bit is helpful!" why re-enforce a negative that gives them an out? "Yes, but you don't have to tip me though" is basically what you are telling them. You might as well sell your tipping pitch exactly like that if you're going to predicate your tipping statement with the fact that it's not mandatory.

Soliciting tips is sales, you are selling the notion of being tipped. The best sales method is positive re-enforcement to encourage the idea of buying what you are selling. We know you don't have to buy my product, but that doesn't mean a good salesman would ever say "My product is great, but you don't have to buy it..."

That is basically what you are doing.
Because I feel I have a pretty good read on people and I don't want to act like I'm trying to psych them into tipping me. People hate when they think your mind ****ing them. They do love when they think they got over on you though, so I'd hate for some a hole to contact uber and say oh so and so is soliciting

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Because I feel I have a pretty good read on people and I don't want to act like I'm trying to psych them into tipping me. People hate when they think your mind &%[email protected]!*ing them. They do love when they think they got over on you though, so I'd hate for some a hole to contact uber and say oh so and so is soliciting
Im fine with them telling uber i was soliciting for tips because this is ubers official stance on tips

DRIVERS MAY REQUEST TIPS AT THEIR DISCRETION.

If my pax hate me or my "mind [email protected]$!ing" it doesn't show with my high tip % and 4.92 ratings.

I also have a dash cam so if they try to say i was soliciting for cash fare, which is different than tips, im covered.

I never tell anyone to tip me.

I just dont tell them not to!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im fine with them telling uber i was soliciting for tips because this is ubers official stance on tips

DRIVERS MAY REQUEST TIPS AT THEIR DISCRETION.

If my pax hate me or my "mind [email protected]$!ing" it does show with my high tip % and 4.92 ratings.

I also have a dash cam so if they try to say i was soliciting for cash fare, which is different than tips, im covered.

I never tell anyone to tip me.

I just dont tell them not to!
Maybe but the customer is always right and I don't want to deal with some bullshit just because protocol says they just investigate.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Maybe but the customer is always right and I don't want to deal with some bullshit just because protocol says they just investigate.
Im telling ya, stop selling yourself short. Im not telling you to just say "Tip me!" Im just saying, dont sell yourself poorly by basically saying "I like tips, but you dont have to give me one".

imagine if a waitress were to come up to you and started her introduction by announcing that "Tips are not mandatory but i do appreciate it if you were to offer one" it would give cheapskates an easy out and her tips would more than likely suffer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im telling ya, stop selling yourself short. Im not telling you to just say "Tip me!" Im just saying, dont sell yourself poorly by basically saying "I like tips, but you dont have to give me one".

imagine if a waitress were to come up to you and started her introduction by announcing that "Tips are not mandatory but i do appreciate it if you were to offer one" it would give cheapskates an easy out and her tips would more than likely suffer.
Ahh good analogy. I'm going to change it tonight.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Everything. The horrible rates, the no tipping policy that uber refuses to get rid of.
It's not that. Lyft allows tips via its app, but tips are consistently 2% - 3% of gross. That's just 2 or 3 bucks for every $100 spent by pax. That money makes no material difference to my earnings at all.

Diners in a restaurant tip becuase they feel social pressure to. They would feel guilty not leaving cash on the table and writing $0.00 on the tip line on the check. But on rideshare, there's no visibility - pax can refuse to give a tip within the total privacy of their smartphone, when the car has already disappeared from view.

It could be argued that Lyft should remove this private tip feature, and drivers should be able to only accept cash tips. Tip signs bring back the social pressure to tip and not be a tightass.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
It's not that. Lyft allows tips via its app, but tips are consistently 2% - 3% of gross. That's just 2 or 3 bucks for every $100 spent by pax. That money makes no material difference to my earnings at all.

Diners in a restaurant tip becuase they feel social pressure to. They would feel guilty not leaving cash on the table and writing $0.00 on the tip line on the check. But on rideshare, there's no visibility - pax can refuse to give a tip within the total privacy of their smartphone, when the car has already disappeared from view.

It could be argued that Lyft should remove this private tip feature, and drivers should be able to only accept cash tips. Tip signs bring back the social pressure to tip and not be a tightass.
I dont drive lyft so i cant speak from experience but Chauffeur_James has and he agrees with you. Since weve improved on our tablet tipping signs, he gets far more tips on Uber than lyft and has even gone so far as to say he doesnt want uber to add in app tipping for the reason you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts