Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me tell you all what happened to me, which made me look for either a rideshare or commercial insurance.

While I was waiting in Que at the Jacksonville airport for a ride request, I finally got the ping and accepted a ride request. I thought the person would be at the airport, but found out they were in the queue area at a local car parking business where they paid to park their car. I thought that this was going to be just a normal ride and drop-off. There destination was the Jax Port on the river where they were to aboard the Carnival Cruise.

I made it to the destination with a couple that just got married a week ago. We ride up to the gate and I found that we were in the most hostile place against Uber and Lift drivers that you all could imagine.

The security at the gate kept asking me if I was an Uber or Lyft driver. Yes, I answered. She looked as if she was trying to save me by hinting to me not to let anyone know that I was an Uber driver. I sensed that she knew it was my first time at this location. She loudly spoke "Uber doesn't cover you all" "none of you all are covered" "They tell you that your covered, but your not." I felt so ashamed, because I'm thinking all is well before hearing this. Uber was a flexible blessing for me before this. After pleading to her that this was my first time and I never had come there before, she tells me to take my phone down from the windshield and I had to put one of my passengers in the front. However, the only thing was that I was an AA (African American) driving with two Caucasian people, I think someone was going to notice something (keep in mind this was my first time ever visiting this place).

I began to proceed through the gate until I got to a fork in the road. I asked my passengers if they just want me to drop them off over by the walkway instead of going further, they thought this was an excellent idea. As we proceeded to do so, I hear whistles all over the place, a security officer came and screamed "Are you Uber, are you Uber" I replied "Yes." He radioed a sheriff deputy, and told him I was an Uber driver and trying to drop passengers off by the walk way, as well as holding up traffic.

After the deputy found our location, he drove over to where we were. However, I can't complain because he gave me a verbal warning instead of giving me a citation or fine. He asked me if I had my Medallion, license from the city, as well as "commercial insurance." I told him "No sir," he told me driving-for-hire was illegal in Jacksonville (I guess without these things). He told me that I was an independent contractor (please be warned that you do not work for Uber but just use there apps). He told me he could give me a 250 dollar fine or "66 days in Jail." He asked again if I had these items and tells me "Don't ever come to the Jax Port again without them." (you don't have to tell me twice lol). I was out of there before you could blink.

I contacted Uber to see if this was true, they first replied with airport que directions. I replied that they answered none of my questions. They then responded, that they were sorry that this had happened and if they gave me anything, for me to send them a copy. I also asked if my passengers were coverged with the Uber insurance, they responded by telling me as long as they are on the trip.

I also asked if I needed anything from the city of Jacksonville. they responded that my account and status was active and documents are fine. It was kind of a beat around the bush thing. However, I get the jist. So, I feel that the guy knows what he's talking about. I know you may need to be registered or licensed by the city because your an independent contractor and not an employee of Uber. Your just using their app.

· Registered
922 Posts
Your experience with the Jacksonville Port Authority is not unusual. The transportation administration (TSA) is particularly prudent about making sure that ground transportation providers are commercially insured, licensed, and operating legally in Jacksonville. You were lucky. Uber does not give drivers accurate information about licensing and regulations and for the most part if you are ticketed, towed and thrown in jail you are on your own. (Uber may pay the tickets when you are eventually caught.) The rules for vehicle for hire that apply at JAXPORT, apply at all official events in Jacksonville, including the Airport & Jaguars games. The airport is not as keen on catching illegal drivers. The City of Jacksonville has been unable to reach a consensus on what to do about Uber X in the city and until they do, you are operating an illegal vehicle for hire - although you generally won't catch any shade on the streets from the every-day cops. Special Event Cops are different and will ask you for a medallion to get access to the pickup areas around the local events and especially at Everbank Field. See the search bar at the top of this forum? Use it.

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Its the same for everyone, they are the worst. Even legitimate drivers. Jaxport has a contract with one of the large taxi companies and it is strictly enforced.

During the Jacksonville Superbowl in 2005, all the limitations were eliminated and anyone could pick up or drop off anyone from the cruise terminal or airport. I picked up and dropped off at the cruiseport with no problems. Shortly after the superbowl I dropped off at the cruise terminal in a legitimate taxi and one of the guys came over and said I couldn't be there. I had all the qualifications but I wasn't with their contracted company.

· Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Your experience with the Jacksonville Port Authority is not unusual. The transportation administration (TSA) is particularly prudent about making sure that ground transportation providers are commercially insured, licensed, and operating legally in Jacksonville. You were lucky. Uber does not give drivers accurate information about licensing and regulations and for the most part if you are ticketed, towed and thrown in jail you are on your own. (Uber may pay the tickets when you are eventually caught.) The rules for vehicle for hire that apply at JAXPORT, apply at all official events in Jacksonville, including the Airport & Jaguars games. The airport is not as keen on catching illegal drivers. The City of Jacksonville has been unable to reach a consensus on what to do about Uber X in the city and until they do, you are operating an illegal vehicle for hire - although you generally won't catch any shade on the streets from the every-day cops. Special Event Cops are different and will ask you for a medallion to get access to the pickup areas around the local events and especially at Everbank Field. See the search bar at the top of this forum? Use it.
The city of jacksonville just wants there payoff from uber.Once uber send some money to the politicians,they will be legal.

· Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Its the same for everyone, they are the worst. Even legitimate drivers. Jaxport has a contract with one of the large taxi companies and it is strictly enforced.

During the Jacksonville Superbowl in 2005, all the limitations were eliminated and anyone could pick up or drop off anyone from the cruise terminal or airport. I picked up and dropped off at the cruiseport with no problems. Shortly after the superbowl I dropped off at the cruise terminal in a legitimate taxi and one of the guys came over and said I couldn't be there. I had all the qualifications but I wasn't with their contracted company.
Because the city was getting paid.Same reason there was no open container law during the two weeks the superbowl was there.Once the superbowl was over,you better not be driking a budweiser anywere.

· Registered
415 Posts
Uber lies to its x and xl drivers about being legal to operate, plain and simple. One reason why the city couldn't reach a consensus on new regulations was that uber lobbyists have influenced several council members to resist approving any regulations uber opposes. That's why the committee never reached a consensus and disbanded . FYI I was told this by a current councilman. Uber has no one's back except theirs. Sad but true.

· Registered
4 Posts
I may have missed an update here, but JAXPORT now allows free drop off at the port. They want $10 to pick up, and you pay on the spot. I don't know if Uber automatically reimburses the $10 or not, do you?

New port access fees for commercial vehicles beginning June 1, 2017:

All other taxi companies and commercial traffic (Vans, limousines, mini-buses with fewer than 25 passengers and transportation network companies such as Uber or Lyft) - Fee per vehicle $10.00

These fees are payable upon entry into the terminal before you pick up your passengers. Please make sure you are prepared to pay at this time.

Drop-offs will not pay a fee. All companies that have commercial vehicles dropping off passengers at the JAXPORT Cruise Terminal for regular cruise service will continue to enjoy free access.

If you have a question about the fee process, contact JAXPORT's Cruise Operations hotline at (904) 357-3006.

· Registered
976 Posts
The bottom line this place is always had a nasty reputation for Uber or Lyft with the new legislation signed that went into effect on July 1st uber and lift is authorized to drive anywhere in the state, first of all if you drive for Uber or Lyft don't ever drive down there with your phone attached to your windshield put it in your lap when you get up to the gate you hand over your passengers information and if they say anything you're a neighbor dropping them off, always put somebody in the front seat with you don't keep everybody in the backseat if your passengers have an issue with that then I would just tell them up front that you can't drop them off there.

I do not believe you can be fine $250 but then again stranger things have happened if you do I would say Uber would pay for it, I just wouldn't take the chance I've only been down there a couple times.

I don't go out of my way to go down there but of the times that I have gone down there I always put somebody in the front seat with me and I never have my phone out where they can see it. They're just plain nasty people, but they have never gave me the problem that you received I would probably go to jail because if they got my face I'd absolutely getting theirs which is not always the best thing to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.