Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless you're in the a surge, what's this about driving the surge? We all know you can't chase a surge so what's the deal? If I'm in Westwood and it's surging in Santa Monica, you telling me you can get to that surge in time to get a descent 2.0 or over?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm still learning how to do it better, but it's basically choosing times and places where your pretty sure it's going to surge, then only driving when it actually surges. Puts a lot less mileage on your car, and gives your the chance to make a lot more money.

At LAX, if it's close to empty, you can just sit offline and wait until it surges. Often happens when it's raining. Then sign online and get a ride that's worth a lot more money.

Surge Chaser is an app that can monitor surge wherever you like to drive, check your private messages for a link.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I'm still learning how to do it better, but it's basically choosing times and places where your pretty sure it's going to surge, then only driving when it actually surges. Puts a lot less mileage on your car, and gives your the chance to make a lot more money.

At LAX, if it's close to empty, you can just sit offline and wait until it surges. Often happens when it's raining. Then sign online and get a ride that's worth a lot more money.

Surge Chaser is an app that can monitor surge wherever you like to drive, check your private messages for a link.
I tried surge chaser and its about a minute too slow, wont be paying for it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok re: the airport. If it's slow, then there's no surge, and I don't drive for base rate.
If it's busy and it says more than 40 cars, by the time you're in the cue for a ping, the surge usually gone.
Another secret to this I don't know about?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When first started driving read out Surge Finder, not many endorsements, maybe it's gotten better.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ok re: the airport. If it's slow, then there's no surge, and I don't drive for base rate.
If it's busy and it says more than 40 cars, by the time you're in the cue for a ping, the surge usually gone.
Make sure to call every pax when you're at the airport to find out where they're going... The rest is up to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't drive for base rate because, car payment, insurance and gas = no profit

·
Registered
364 Posts
I tried surge chaser and its about a minute too slow, wont be paying for it
The notifications are only a part of it. It keeps detailed track of any checkpoint you make and it will tell you exactly when and how high it surges. I can wake up and see what my area has been doing the past few hours and know if I should even consider working based upon that info. Or you can check lax and see if it's worth waiting for it to surge again.

Notifications are useful also, especially when surges are still growing. It will tell me if my area is at 2x, and then I can keep my eye on it and see if it's one the surges that grows even higher. Sometimes it's your phones fault if the notifications don't happen fast enough.

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
Currently at 1.7x with 3 cars. Driver behind me took it. I'm waiting for a higher surge while monitoring the amount of cars.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Uber Arnie, no surge I don't care how far they're going. First airport trip I did was to Orange County, BS money for the miles.
At least you are a quick learner. We have drivers who have been driving for years and sleep at pig pen to give base fare rides.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow you two guys killing it, I had a pretty decent night, mostly surge rides but most were short. Made $83 in 2.5 hours but my last ride of the night was some really irritating drunk a-hole. I wanted to cancel but something made me hold off because I thought maybe the ride would be worth it (trouble right off the bat trying to direct him to where I pulled up). Turns out he's going to DTLA and it is a surge ride, so I figure why not. Guy asked every two mins what direction we are going in, is cursing at me to get off the freeway, then apologizing and saying staying on. I was SOOO tempted to pull off at like Normandie and just try and find the sketchiest looking alley I could to kick this dickwad outta my car. I finished the ride though, once we could see downtown he luckily shut up. Finished fare and went home, couldn't deal with anymore drunks for the night.

Anyway I gotta get on your guys' level, poseidon for 12 hours online that's freaking awesome, yours too LA Dispatcher.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts