Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering moving to an 8 seat vehicle.
I am in New Orleans and I am thinking that the nature of business here would justify that move.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have experience on the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My girlfriend and I have both driven Uber and Lyft and Uber eats and doordash full time for over 2 years and we both have a xl vehicle. I usually keep all options available while my girlfriend generally turns off UberX and Uber eats. She waits a while longer between rides but makes more than me almost every day. Granted I am lazier, but still she makes a lot of money concentrating on Uber Excel. I get itchy sitting around for a ride so I keep all my options open. But she has the right idea. Why accept an UberX when an Excel maybe only a few minutes away? I say that it is worth getting a car that is XL ready. I can also get comfort rides which she can't because her car is a 2012. She's still creams me everyday. We both live in the Chicago area and I drive during the day and I don't like to drive in the city. On the other hand she likes to drive at night and downtown. I just like my rideshare time to be more leisurely. But if you get an Excel car you will seriously increase your earning capacity. Good luck with whatever you decide

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I am strongly considering moving to an 8 seat vehicle.
I am in New Orleans and I am thinking that the nature of business here would justify that move.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have experience on the issue.
I’m sure it depends on the market. In my market most of my trips were x instead of XL. If I had just run XL I wouldn’t of got many rides.

Another thing to keep in mind, I drove the drunk 8pm to 4am shift back when there was a multiplier surge. If you think 2 to 3 drunks are tough to handle try dealing with 6 to 7 rowdy drunks! Good luck with that!

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
I drive xl, I do a little better than x but have 2 issues. It takes longer to get everyone in the car, easily an extra minute or two. Late night getting 5 drunks in the car is an issue. I frequently turn xl off at bar close so I can zip off a few quick surge x rides.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I’m sure it depends on the market. In my market most of my trips were x instead of XL. If I had just run XL I wouldn’t of got many rides.

Another thing to keep in mind, I drove the drunk 8pm to 4am shift back when there was a multiplier surge. If you think 2 to 3 drunks are tough to handle try dealing with 6 to 7 rowdy drunks! Good luck with that!
I do it every weejend piece of cake
And the xl surge is insane Yiu don’t see it on the map or the request but I’m getting 20 a surge per trip at times
Love my xl on bar times

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I do it every weejend piece of cake
Bar close on XL can be manageable, but you have to be on top of your game, I wouldn't call it a piece of cake. While many rides are fine with no issues there are rides where having 5 to 7 drunks in a van can create some challenging issues. If you never have any problems to deal with then kudos to you.
And the xl surge is insane Yiu don’t see it on the map or the request but I’m getting 20 a surge per trip at times
I did it because the multiplier surge was insane. The flat surge even at $20, is no where near what the multiplier paid. The shorter the trip the better the flat surge is. However, the city downtown I serviced was a large draw not only for the county, but the tri state area. This led to very nice surge payouts as most trips went between 30 and 60 minutes. On a ride where the base payout was $25, a 3.0x surge would pay out $75. With a flat surge even at $20 that same ride's payout would be $45. That's a significant decrease from the past. If you can get short trips then the $20 flat surge works a lot better.
Love my xl on bar times
That's great that you are making it work for you. For me the flat surge resulted in a substantial reduction in surge payouts and doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I don’t work late nights so no bar runs for me and I stay as far away from the University as I can.

If I turn on x and xl. I almost never get an XL ride. But the XL rides are there. At least in the early mornings when I’m looking for airport rides If I turn off x I will almost always get an XL ride

my problem is that I have almost no patience. And I turn on X too soon

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Having driven XL for 3 of my over 5 years doing this, in my area, XL is an overall lose. This isn’t as much for lack of XL work, it’s because of all the BS involved. Try hauling around 6 drunk, entitled 21yo ****s, and you’ll begin to see. Then there’s the people who want to use your vehicle as a UHaul. Then there’s not being able to do a quick (illegal) drop off Because you literally block the entire street. Goes on and on….

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, Folks!!!

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!!

Looks like I'm a buyer.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
A Lyft employee told me that there are 20 regular requests to each xl request. From experience, I believe her. Do you want to stay busy or make more per mile but have to wait longer, sometimes much longer? A larger group in your auto does add more pressures. How comfortable are you with driving a larger vehicle? I like having my van for other reasons but all in all, after expenses I'm not sure that it makes more money than a quality x car would.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi! Thank you for the input. I intend to run both X and XL at the same time. I am assuming that will make the grand majority of my calls the X variety. PLEASE fill me in if I am in error with my thoughts. I am thinking my benefit will be the occasional large group, but, my primary interest is to be able to target the airport crowd here in the largely tourist-driven market of New Orleans.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Sounds like a plan! If it were me though and I lived in the city, I'd leave it on xl only and use your home as dispatch center. You will tend to have a better class of passengers and get paid more for driving them. Plus waiting at home between rides is no work at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts