Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On August 3rd this memo was sent to City Staff
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/pio/document.cfm?id=235537

It goes in to detail about what the city wants. It explains why Austin "dropped the ball" on regulating TNSs: State legislation would have over ruled any city regulation. Since that legislation failed the city IS GOING TO REGULATE UBER LOL. Can you say uniforms?

Here is the powerpoint presentation from the meeting:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=235863
Fees: 1$ per ride *change*
Insurance: more coverage for Stage 1 activities
Data: specific data reporting requirements
ADA: strengthen the ADA requirements
Trade Dress: require for TNCs
Vehicle Safety Inspections

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can watch the 26 min meeting here:
http://austintx.swagit.com/play/08052015-659/0/
Item 7

99% of the speakers were cab& limo drivers/ companies RAILING Uber to the committee. The chair was in agreement and thanking them for their input "This is what we need" she says at one point.

This is why UBER is calling us to the next meeting: staff has already presented their recommendations and there will likely be a vote. Tensions will be high between anyone supporting Uber vs the other operators.

THIS MEETING WILL BE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET YOUR SAY! If you can't make it, simply email the committee members. I will. Once the recommendations are made at the committee level, it is harder to get stuff in later.

Here is who to email:
Committee Members
Staff Contact
  • Karla Taylor, Austin Transportation Department, (512) 974-7246
  • Marissa Monroy, Austin Transportation Department, (512) 974-6584

·
Banned
276 Posts

It goes in to detail about what the city wants. It explains why Austin "dropped the ball" on regulating TNSs: State legislation would have over ruled any city regulation. Since that legislation failed the city IS GOING TO REGULATE UBER LOL. Can you say uniforms?

Item 7

99% of the speakers were cab& limo drivers/ companies RAILING Uber to the committee. The chair was in agreement and thanking them for their input "This is what we need" she says at one point.

This is why UBER is calling us to the next meeting: staff has already presented their recommendations and there will likely be a vote. Tensions will be high between anyone supporting Uber vs the other operators.

THIS MEETING WILL BE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET YOUR SAY! If you can't make it, simply email the committee members. I will. Once the recommendations are made at the committee level, it is harder to get stuff in later.

Here is who to email:
Committee Members
Staff Contact
You do realize that if most of us had anything to say it would be about allowing tipping or getting the rates back to normal?? Uber is a runaway train of greed and bullshit at this point and even if slowing them down means siding with gov regulations.....I'm pretty sure most on here would support it. Which again is why it's SO strange that Uber has chosen to alienate and shit on it's drivers in the way that they have. Maybe once all the smoke clears they will learn their lessons, be humbled, and wish that they had some vocal driver advocates to help them fight their fight. Until then....anything "bad" that happens to Uber is probably well deserved...and probably good for us.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You do realize that if most of us had anything to say it would be about allowing tipping or getting the rates back to normal?? Uber is a runaway train of greed and bullshit at this point and even if slowing them down means siding with gov regulations.....I'm pretty sure most on here would support it. Which again is why it's SO strange that Uber has chosen to alienate and shit on it's drivers in the way that they have. Maybe once all the smoke clears they will learn their lessons, be humbled, and wish that they had some vocal driver advocates to help them fight their fight. Until then....anything "bad" that happens to Uber is probably well deserved...and probably good for us.
Yeah, I'm in agreement with that too. Uber lost almost all my support by treating us so poorly, lying to us about why they lowered the rates and oversaturating the market with new drivers.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts

Item 7

Here is who to email:
Committee Members
Staff Contact
Actually, the limo companies are asking for equal regulations. One way, or the other.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do realize that if most of us had anything to say it would be about allowing tipping or getting the rates back to normal??
Yes I think we are all in toddal agreement that this is what we want. And all the other bells and whistles thrown in now. Ask for the sun, get the moon, in city politics.

It would be nice if Uber ends surging as well, they need to realize Austin is a tech town and its killing their client pool. My client pool.

UBER are you listening? ITS KILLING YOUR CLIENT POOL.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's clear that Uber has made some big mistakes in Austin and in Texas. If Uber is forced to comply with any of these local regulations, Uber will look like a gang of idiots in San Antonio, where they pulled out for just these reasons. Go figure.

Where is the genius Travis when we need him? Apparently asleep at the wheel!

However, on general principles, I am opposed to the city of Austin setting up arbitrary rules and laws to regulate ride-sourcing - fixing prices and interfering in interstate commerce and trade, based on local vested interests. It's just amazing what kind of influence you can buy in Texas with $1000. LoL!

All I'm asking for is a level playing field - uniform regulations throughout Texas. Why should Uber drivers have to stage their cars at ABIA and downtown in corn fields and back-alleys? Who created all the facilities for the cab drivers and limo drivers at ABIA? Answer: The Austin City Council.

What have they done for TNCs in Austin? Nada, zip, bupkis.

The city should be paying ME for every drunk driver I haul home from the saloon! I mean, for chrissakes - we are taking people out to spend money in town!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
It's clear that Uber has made some big mistakes in Austin and in Texas. If Uber is forced to comply with any of these local regulations, Uber will look like a gang of idiots in San Antonio, where they pulled out for just these reasons. Go figure.

However, on general principles, I am opposed to the city of Austin setting up arbitrary rules and laws to regulate ride-sourcing - fixing prices and interfering in interstate commerce and trade, based on local vested interests. It's just amazing what kind of influence you can buy in Texas with $1000. LoL!

All I'm asking for is a level playing field - uniform regulations throughout Texas. Why should Uber drivers have to stage their cars at ABIA and downtown in corn fields and back-alleys? Who created all the facilities for the cab drivers and limo drivers at ABIA? Answer: The Austin City Council.

The city should be paying ME for every drunk driver I haul home from the saloon! I mean, for chrissakes - we are taking people out to spend money in town!
Who pays for the facilities at AUS? We do. You want fairness and equality? Pay the same fees for permits, entrance and parking, and carry full the liability minimums. Otherwise, enjoy the cornfield:)

·
Registered
385 Posts

You, sir, are completely full of it. Constipation eventually requires a long, painful dump.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Who pays for the facilities at AUS? We do. You want fairness and equality? Pay the same fees for permits, entrance and parking, and carry full the liability minimums. Otherwise, enjoy the cornfield:)
That's what I'm taking about! Where is the level playing field? Where are the "facilities" for the ride-share drivers in Austin?

Let's just be fair and balanced - we don't need no more local vested interests telling us what to do and charging us money for nothing in return.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[QUOTE="....anything "bad" that happens to Uber is probably well deserved...and probably good for us.[/QUOTE]

Blame the victim?

We should be focusing our attention on riders and encouraging them to support us. The more riders, the more money we will make. It's not complicated. Riders can vote in the next city council election.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's what I'm taking about! Where is the level playing field? Where are the "facilities" for the ride-share drivers in Austin?

Let's just be fair and balanced - we don't need no more local vested interests telling us what to do and charging us money for nothing in return.
Dude, you are so ill-informed that you should be reading and listening rather than posting. That has to be a first ever comment - TNCs suffer from an unlevel playing field when you should know they stormed into Austin playing by their own rules and aiding and abetting their "partners" into breaking the laws.

Please educate yourself.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dude, you are so ill-informed that you should be reading and listening rather than posting. That has to be a first ever comment - TNCs suffer from an unlevel playing field when you should know they stormed into Austin playing by their own rules and aiding and abetting their "partners" into breaking the laws. Please educate yourself.
You're sounding a lot like a local vested interest. Go figure.

Just for the record: I do NOT support local vested interests fixing prices and interfering in interstate trade. It's un-American and frankly, communistic.

Why should a cab company pay the city $450 a year for a permit and then charge a cab driver $18,00 a year, just so he or she can earn minimum wage? This is just outrageous!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts

Why would Austin provide a facility in good faith for a company which refused to register, eschewed all existing regulations, and thumbed their noses as the city? Your partner is not trustworthy.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
[QUOTE="....anything "bad" that happens to Uber is probably well deserved...and probably good for us.
Blame the victim?

We should be focusing our attention on riders and encouraging them to support us. The more riders, the more money we will make. It's not complicated. Riders can vote in the next city council election.
[/QUOTE]
Don't assume that the majority of the public supports unregulated car service. Moreover, many voters are not enthralled by the obnoxious rule breaking.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.