Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately ive noticed a small increase in the amount of tourism in coronado but fuber seems to be purposely avoiding the surge around the busiest areas. In fact, i was watching for a few hours and noticed on many occasions when i checked fares from coronado to downtown or pb , i would get a slightly higher price and a notification that the closest uber driver was over 12 minutes away........could a change in surge be coming????? It seems like they would rather have customers wait 12-15 minutes fir a ride rather than surge the price

·
Registered
594 Posts
Tell them no. Do not take those far away pings. They can't use everyone from all over to supresss surge. Send it to your fellow drivers you know are closer.

Not specific to Coronado, but I have noticed a significant increase in far away pings. Significant.

All sorts of 11-20 minutes away, 60/40 Pool and X the last several days. Anyone else? If there are others, it's possible they are experimenting with something new.

<Conspiracy theory time.>
Tonight a rider told me "thanks for coming so fast, it was 3 minutes." Funny, the request came in at 10. (I know that's far, but I was in a dead spot and the pickup was in a direction I would have chosen to go anyhow.) Perhaps Uber is working on some kind of predictive request. Sending a ping before the rider actually requests based on historical data or trends.
Reason: shorter wait times for pax.
Drawback: pax doesn't actually make the request resulting in a cancel after driver is already en route.
</conspiracy theory time>

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they may be trying to take advantage of new drivers who are not aware that they are going to drive 15 to 20 minutes in traffic to pick up a passenger who will only take a two or three mile ride. So instead of waiting 12 to 15 minutes for an Uber passengers will either take a taxi or Lyft

Last night at the Padres game we had the same scenario. I looked at the Uber app and saw that there is no cars in the immediate area however people were standing around every single block around Petco Park waiting for a ride. And again no surge. After a while a small surge did come up which lasted about 10 minutes or less and it never went over 1.5 x

·
Premium Member
10,956 Posts
I'm thinking a lot drivers have bailed out. At one point yesterday while on a trip I got 3 stacked requests, each one canceled.

Lyft riders keep telling me lyft is cheaper. Then I explain to them about boobers up front pricing and your getting screwbered.

Reactions: sissypower

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also at $4 a gallon gas it's just not worth driving around to chase $3 rides. As the price of gas continues to rise as well as the cost to pax but no compensation for drivers, the amount of drivers quiting will go up. Right now i cant afford to drive 10 to 15 minutes for a pax that may only produce $3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking a lot drivers have bailed out. At one point yesterday while on a trip I got 3 stacked requests, each one canceled.

Lyft riders keep telling me lyft is cheaper. Then I explain to them about boobers up front pricing and your getting screwbered.
Same thing happened to me last night, got 3 stacked and all of them cancelled, right after that I got a lyft request and took it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd also like to add that I've seen ton of micro-surges lately. 1 or 3 cells, almost Lyft-esque. The one I saw the other night was between Point Loma and Shelter Island. 3 cells, and 75% of it was in the water. Tonight 3 cells at Hotel del. Very low surges of 1.2 or 1.3x.
I'd say that's a different kind of surge.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd also like to add that I've seen ton of micro-surges lately. 1 or 3 cells, almost Lyft-esque. The one I saw the other night was between Point Loma and Shelter Island. 3 cells, and 75% of it was in the water. Tonight 3 cells at Hotel del. Very low surges of 1.2 or 1.3x.
I'd say that's a different kind of surge.
I agree with this. Surge once again totally changed about 3 weeks to a month ago. High demand but no surge. Plus these micro surges have been popping up of a single cell.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think thier trying to test out some things to see how we react. Its going to definately cost them some business and drivers. Last friday at 3 suddenly all san diego was 2-3x. 5 minutes later nothing. The rest of the day was also no surge.
I took the same exact screen shot. The entire city went solid red and then it went from that to a deep dark red in pockets and then minutes later. Poof!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tell them no. Do not take those far away pings. They can't use everyone from all over to supresss surge. Send it to your fellow drivers you know are closer.

Not specific to Coronado, but I have noticed a significant increase in far away pings. Significant.

All sorts of 11-20 minutes away, 60/40 Pool and X the last several days. Anyone else? If there are others, it's possible they are experimenting with something new.

<Conspiracy theory time.>
Tonight a rider told me "thanks for coming so fast, it was 3 minutes." Funny, the request came in at 10. (I know that's far, but I was in a dead spot and the pickup was in a direction I would have chosen to go anyhow.) Perhaps Uber is working on some kind of predictive request. Sending a ping before the rider actually requests based on historical data or trends.
Reason: shorter wait times for pax.
Drawback: pax doesn't actually make the request resulting in a cancel after driver is already en route.
</conspiracy theory time>
Yes! Lots of 12+ min pickups all of the sudden, for the last week or maybe 10 days. I took one tonight that was 12 min away and pax told me he had to wait several minutes to even be offered a ride, so it wasn't a case of me being dispatched before his ping

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Yes! Lots of 12+ min pickups all of the sudden, for the last week or maybe 10 days. I took one tonight that was 12 min away and pax told me he had to wait several minutes to even be offered a ride, so it wasn't a case of me being dispatched before his ping
Last night I was on Coronado with a ride to IB. On the ride I kept getting a ping for the Del hotel at 2.0 XL which I kept accepting. It was a 13 min time but the 2.0 XL would have made up for it. The pax kept requesting then would cancel then request again. This happened three times before it stopped. I didn't mind as I was able to pick up a 100% Plus on Lyft to Old town then another from SDSU to downtown. I love making $85 in less than an hour!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I no longer cross that damn bridge. It seems I lose money every time I do.
I politely decline rides to Coronado and explain to the PAX I will back out all charges for the pickup, but I will not lose money to take them to lunch at the Hotel Del where they will pay more than any other restaurant in San Diego county, and they still will not tip me for a $7 ride to a place where I can't catch another ride back across the bridge.
I am not in this for a public service.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
I no longer cross that damn bridge. It seems I lose money every time I do.
I politely decline rides to Coronado and explain to the PAX I will back out all charges for the pickup, but I will not lose money to take them to lunch at the Hotel Del where they will pay more than any other restaurant in San Diego county, and they still will not tip me for a $7 ride to a place where I can't catch another ride back across the bridge.
I am not in this for a public service.
During tourist season Coronado isn't that bad. Just scan the island with he pax app before you go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.