Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still getting used to things, just wondering what time folks hit DC on the weekend nights to catch the surges.. I seem to miss them most times either because I get a ride to va or way out of a surge area.. Since I can't drive in va I am forced to race back to DC on hopes to catch a good fare..

·
Registered
36 Posts
My vote is head downtown when you can, turn the app on, and go. Do as many rides as you can. Some may come up surges, but don't count on it. Anyway, if you do catch a ride in a surge zone there's a good chance it will take you out of the surge. What are you going to do, drive dead miles back to the surge zone that's fleeting?

This approach is based not on my longtime experience as an Uber driver. I'm only two weeks into it. It's based instead on my long time experience as a restaurant waiter, and there are strong similarities to the approaches here. You're not going to have that big check + big tip experience with every table as a waiter, and there's nothing whatsoever you can do about that except grin and bear it, be cheerful and professional, make the most out of what you've been handed, and turn them tables.

So far I've seen a lot of parallels between the two gigs. Uber is a driving job, and waiting is a restaurant job. But, really, when you boil it down to essence, they are both customer relations jobs, first and foremost. (In waiting tables we commonly had the worst waiters, in terms of staff work, make the biggest tips. In the same vein, I betcha we have some very highly rated Uber drivers who have no clue how to get around the city if it weren't for the GPS. Both of these jobs are really all about customer service and perceptions.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts