Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine some Nasty stuff happen tomorrow like Sydney Siege or Chelsea terrorist attack. Public is panicked and everybody looking to go out of troubled area using taxis or Uber. Demand on Uber system starting to increase rapidly. Now you know people need to get out of troubled area as soon as possible. There are women, children and elderly people. But you also know if you wait 5 or 10 mins offline, you can get very juicy surges. What you will do in this situation? Help the people moving out of troubled area as soon as possible without surge or wait for surge to hit 3 or 4 times and then go online.

Also situation like this beg the question that what's Uber responsibility in such situation? I remember, Uber reimbursed the surge fares during Sydney siege. But what about drivers? For example in some troubled situation, Uber decides to remove the surge from troubled area so there is high demand but no surge. So many drivers like me refused to work without surge. In this situation where Uber decided to remove surge from troubled area, how Uber will make sure availability of Cars?

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Imagine some Nasty stuff happen tomorrow like Sydney Siege or Chelsea terrorist attack. Public is panicked and everybody looking to go out of troubled area using taxis or Uber. Demand on Uber system starting to increase rapidly. Now you know people need to get out of troubled area as soon as possible. There are women, children and elderly people. But you also know if you wait 5 or 10 mins offline, you can get very juicy surges. What you will do in this situation? Help the people moving out of troubled area as soon as possible without surge or wait for surge to hit 3 or 4 times and then go online.

Also situation like this beg the question that what's Uber responsibility in such situation? I remember, Uber reimbursed the surge fares during Sydney siege. But what about drivers? For example in some troubled situation, Uber decides to remove the surge from troubled area so there is high demand but no surge. So many drivers like me refused to work without surge. In this situation where Uber decided to remove surge from troubled area, how Uber will make sure availability of Cars?
Don't you have more realistic and productive things to think / do ?

Like fine real job lol

·
Registered
891 Posts

Reading that took up around 1 minute of my life that I will never get back lol

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I gather you wrote this because people were complaining of paying a 1.8 surge during the New York explosions yesterday.
Personally I would app off and do cash job.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts

If I were already there and there was nothing useful I could do there I'd load up my car with those unable to walk far and get them out of harms way. Especially those "walking wounded" who don't need an ambulance, but do need a trip to an emergency center. (No charge. Uber would not be on my radar.)

If I was not already in the area I'd stay away to avoid adding to the congestion and getting in the way of emergency vehicles and responders.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Uber got some serious flack when they applied surge in Sydney during the Lindt Cafe siege and refunded the money afterwards

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If a surge was happening, I'd tell the passengers to cancel and I'd get them out of the city for free. It's a low trick to put on a surge when an emergency is inplace

·
Registered
991 Posts
It all depends. If the pax needing my ride was the plumber I needed at 9pm, the locksmith I urgently needed on a Sunday afternoon or the doctor who made an evening house call, then I'd have no problem in charging them like a wounded bull to get them out of their emergency situation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts