Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I gave a ride to an attractive women with her child, maybe 5 miles away. The neighborhood of the pickup was in a depressed area of town. It was obvious to me when she got into the car that she knew NO English. I mean nothing. No problem. We're on our way.
When I pulled up to the address of the drop-off she started to hand me a $50 dollar bill! I thought she was giving me a tip.
I told her that was too much. I assumed she wasn't aware of the currency and exactly how much she was giving me, so I refused.
I then deduced based on some hand gestures toward the app that she thought she had to pay for the ride.
I gave the the OK sign and told her everything was paid. I did not take the $50.
Don't regret it.

What would you do?
Let me ask you the same question in a different scenario: What if you paid your $25 bar tab with a $50 bill and the bartender gave you back $75 - thinking you gave him a $100 bill. Would you chug your drinks, grab the cash and leave? Or would you take $20 and give back the rest - explaining to him his error?

·
24,213 Posts
Let me ask you the same question in a different scenario: What if you paid your $25 bar tab with a $50 bill and the bartender gave you back $75 - thinking you gave him a $100 bill. Would you chug your drinks, grab the cash and leave? Or would you take $20 and give back the rest - explaining to him his error?
I do not care who it is, if someone gives me back too much change, I always let him know. Similarly, if someone short changes me, I let him know, as well.

There used to be a columnist at the Washington Post named Bob Levey. He was the most ignorant, idiotic, dense, asinine, moronic jerk who ever cursed the pages of any newspaper. In most cases, shortchanging arises from carelessness. It is not deliberate. Despite that, any time anyone shortchanged Doofus Levey even the first cent, he would say to him "nice try". He admitted to it in print more than once.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I gave a ride to an attractive women with her child, maybe 5 miles away. The neighborhood of the pickup was in a depressed area of town. It was obvious to me when she got into the car that she knew NO English. I mean nothing. No problem. We're on our way.
When I pulled up to the address of the drop-off she started to hand me a $50 dollar bill! I thought she was giving me a tip.
I told her that was too much. I assumed she wasn't aware of the currency and exactly how much she was giving me, so I refused.
I then deduced based on some hand gestures toward the app that she thought she had to pay for the ride.
I gave the the OK sign and told her everything was paid. I did not take the $50.
Don't regret it.

What would you do?
As Steve Miller says: "Go on, take the money and run...woo hoo hoo!"

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Give him back all the money.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
A couple of years ago, I drove for a young woman and her two small children. We made a couple of stops, which I was fine with. She was one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Her destination was one of the most run down apartment complexes I've ever seen.

I've said a few times since then that if I ever see her again, I'll cancel the trip and drive her for free wherever she wants to go.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
OP, thanks for being a kind person and doing the right thing. I would’ve done the same, as you did. Someone could’ve ordered the Uber for her, so it seems she thought she had to give cash for the ride and didn’t understand it was paid for.

@everydayimubering I would’ve given the bartender the money back.

·
24,213 Posts
I've said a few times since then that if I ever see her again, I'll cancel the trip and drive her for free wherever she wants to go.
While that is a noble and lofty idea, do keep in mind that you may not have any insurance coverage once you cancel the trip. Yes, I know, you are not receiving any compensation, but, as you got the notification from Uber or Lyft, your insurer will use that to duck paying. At best, you face a protracted struggle to get your insurer to pay. At worst, you have no coverage.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Well some people like to tip big, whether they speak good English or not. Me, nice tip? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
:oops:

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Don't regret it.

What would you do?
Pocket the 50.
Money is money.

Reactions: btone31

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
While that is a noble and lofty idea, do keep in mind that you may not have any insurance coverage once you cancel the trip. Yes, I know, you are not receiving any compensation, but, as you got the notification from Uber or Lyft, your insurer will use that to duck paying. At best, you face a protracted struggle to get your insurer to pay. At worst, you have no coverage.
Yes, that's a possibility. And I know the likelihood of ever seeing her again is very low, in a city of four million people. In close to 1,000 trips, I've only ever had one repeat customer, a guy who lives about three blocks from my house.

But I would do it anyway, if I saw her again. I've even rehearsed what I would say to her. I liked her that much.

It's not that she's physically attractive. She's actually short and overweight. But just an amazing personality.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts