Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave a ride to an attractive women with her child, maybe 5 miles away. The neighborhood of the pickup was in a depressed area of town. It was obvious to me when she got into the car that she knew NO English. I mean nothing. No problem. We're on our way.
When I pulled up to the address of the drop-off she started to hand me a $50 dollar bill! I thought she was giving me a tip.
I told her that was too much. I assumed she wasn't aware of the currency and exactly how much she was giving me, so I refused.
I then deduced based on some hand gestures toward the app that she thought she had to pay for the ride.
I gave the the OK sign and told her everything was paid. I did not take the $50.
Don't regret it.

What would you do?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I gave a ride to an attractive women with her child, maybe 5 miles away. The neighborhood of the pickup was in a depressed area of town. It was obvious to me when she got into the car that she knew NO English. I mean nothing. No problem. We're on our way.
When I pulled up to the address of the drop-off she started to hand me a $50 dollar bill! I thought she was giving me a tip.
I told her that was too much. I assumed she wasn't aware of the currency and exactly how much she was giving me, so I refused.
I then deduced based on some hand gestures toward the app that she thought she had to pay for the ride.
I gave the the OK sign and told her everything was paid. I did not take the $50.
Don't regret it.

What would you do?
I would have done the same thing
Just cause uber sometimes screws us doesnt mean we sho hi ld screw the paxes

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
But if it was fat ugly person?......
I would of took the 50 regardless.
Keep in mind some people make great money . They can tip 50 dollars like nothing .
That pax knew she was using the app . .That pax liked the drivers service and wanted to tip.
If 50 was to much for the pax she would of not tipped it .

·
5,880 Posts
Don't regret it.

What would you do?

I agree, I get many first time users that want to pay for the trip in cash. I explain how it works. Luckily mine all spoke English. I do offer to make change if they want to leave me a tip.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
What would you do?
First I would title the thread more descriptively. 80% of the threads on this forum could be titled, "What would you do?"

Second, I would only include adjectives in my story that had relevance to the story. In this case, I'm left wondering/assuming you would've taken the $50 from an ugly woman.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I would’ve dropped them off and fled. I had one of those but I was their 2nd ride. Old people going to Amtrak station after cruise and a short stay in hotel for some kind of convention. Account belong to her but CC was son’s. Told them how system worked, even showed her how she can check previous trips and reporting system. about $28 XL trip and got $10 tip but I don’t know what happened to the other driver that asked $40 for the shorter trip. If she got deactivated for that I would say Karma well served.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I think RS might be the only service where providers (driver) decide a client (pax) is "too poor" and/or confused to tip so return it...I've never heard of bartenders, wait staff or house keepers trying to return tips....yours truly doesn't return tips because things are not always what they seem.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
This post is kind of a couched character test. Bravo to the OP.

One thought. Even if the woman had no English, since she did use the app to call the car (no one used their app to call for her), the phone is likely in her native language, do I would have ended the trip with her in the car, and pointed to her phone. She may have been able to pick up that the fare had been paid, as well as rate and optionally tip the driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,911 Posts
Agree fully with what the OP did.

Additionally, I think if a driver takes money under such circumstances, there's a decent chance it would get reported when pax or account holder realizes. And Uber would likely deduct it from the fare. Leaving the driver with a report for taking cash.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I wouldn't take the $50. Pax don't tip $50 in cash on X unless they are very, very drunk. $20 happens. $50 doesn't. So it would be clear that she didn't understand exactly how rideshare works. I'm sure we've all had new pax who asked us at the end of the trip if they needed to pay us. Kudos to the OP for doing the right thing.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Don't regret it.

What would you do?
Good job. I couldn’t take advantage either. Karma can be a *****.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
yah, but that required a post. Reactions, hardly no effort at all. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Spoken like a true Kangite.
it was only a rumor I was in her 'crew'. Only a rumor. Never confirmed. Really.

What was the thread? Oh, yeah, doing the right thing, even tho it seems to hurt. I vote for hurt vs being a dingle berry.

Reactions: Amos69
1 - 20 of 31 Posts