Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night (Saturday) I had a pickup at 1:50 am. They have an address in the the app that is about 7 miles away, but they tell me they want to drop off 2 people and go to another destination that will add about 15 miles. It was a Lyft Plus 250% prime time ride, which is equivalent to an UberXL 3.5x surge, so I'm happy.

about 2/3 of the way to the first destination, the passenger reaches over and ends the trip on my phone. I immediately exited the highway and considered kicking the passengers out right away. Their first destination, which was the one they had entered into the app, was only about 1 to 1.5 miles away. I decided to take them there and then report the situation to Lyft. I was not about to drive some to the 2nd destination, since that address was never entered into the app and I have to assume that they would deny being taken there.

I keep the phone in the middle so that passengers can see the navigation and note that I am driving the correct route. It often turns would be direction givers and backseat drivers into normal, easy to deal with, passengers. I don't want to hide my phone, but this situation was absurd and it cost me quite a bit of cash.

What would you do in this situation? Has this happened to any of you?

EDIT: After pax ended the trip, I told them that was unacceptable. They started complaining that the surge rate was too high and that they paid enough already. If Lyft doesn't pay me the full amount for this trip, I will surely kick passengers out immediately if this happens again.

EDIT2: Lyft has decided to pay me the full amount to the address I dropped the passengers off at. I did not notify them about the 2nd destination, which I did not drive to. I offered video evidence from my dash cam, but they never asked to see it. Due to the amount of time it took to make this decision, I assume that Lyft contacted the rider. I have no idea what the rider would say since the account holder wasn't the one who ended the trip.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if Lyft can change addresses in the Pax app like Uber, but if it can, do that every time. Every. Time.

If they ended the trip, I would have exited the highway and dropped them off at the first sign of civilization on the corner.
On their help page, Lyft has an option "ride ended early". I used that and explained the situation. I will post the outcome on this forum.

· Premium Member
74,263 Posts
Last night (Saturday) I had a pickup at 1:50 am. They have an address in the the app that is about 7 miles away, but they tell me they want to drop off 2 people and go to another destination that will add about 15 miles. It was a Lyft Plus 250% prime time ride, which is equivalent to an UberXL 3.5x surge, so I'm happy.

about 2/3 of the way to the first destination, the passenger reaches over and ends the trip on my phone. I immediately exited the highway and considered kicking the passengers out right away. Their first destination, which was the one they had entered into the app, was only about 1 to 1.5 miles away. I decided to take them there and then report the situation to Lyft. I was not about to drive some to the 2nd destination, since that address was never entered into the app and I have to assume that they would deny being taken there.

I keep the phone in the middle so that passengers can see the navigation and note that I am driving the correct route. It often turns would be direction givers and backseat drivers into normal, easy to deal with, passengers. I don't want to hide my phone, but this situation was absurd and it cost me quite a bit of cash.

What would you do in this situation? Has this happened to any of you?

EDIT: After pax ended the trip, I told them that was unacceptable. They started complaining that the surge rate was too high and that they paid enough already. If Lyft doesn't pay me the full amount for this trip, I will surely kick passengers out immediately if this happens again.
Eject them from A bridge.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
First gas station and GTFO. Calling 911 is also an option.
Drop them off in the first reasonably safe location, sure.

But there's probably nothing illegal about their d-bag action, and it's certainly not an emergency. So no 911, unless they refuse to exit the vehicle...

· Registered
1,736 Posts
How's not an emergency? The aggressive (most likely intoxicated) passenger reaching out to the drivers console during the ride. Can you do the same thing on a bus , train or airplane?

Charges: Assault on a Lyft driver and public intoxication.
Ha, pretty good satire.

For those who might actually think you're serious, touching somebody's phone is not assault. :D

It's d-bag behavior for sure. But not even close to assault. Don't waste the police's time. They have actual issues to deal with.

If the passenger were intoxicated, an assumption you can't make, that's a separate issue.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
It's not quite simple as touching somebody's phone. it's more than that!
You said that reaching was grounds for 911, when clearly the purpose of doing it was touching the phone. Sorry, but reaching out and touching a phone without permission is a d-bag move, but it's clearly not assault.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
Where did i say "reaching phone" is grounds for 911. I said calling 911 is also an "option" just in case things gets really hot in the car. (We don't know the whole event)

You are trying to simplify riders move as reaching and touching but it's not like that. The guy is literally shutting drivers whole operation off by reaching out to his phone. Plus putting everybody in danger by creating such a big distraction.

If the intoxicated pax is making agressive attempts driver might be proactive and start planning the next move. As well all know drunk and aggressive passengers are getting arrested for their actions.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Sorry, you said "How's [sic] not an emergency? The aggressive (most likely intoxicated) passenger reaching out to the drivers console during the ride."

Your own words. But if you want to retract that now, you're free to do so.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
So i'm behind my words. How's not emergency?

Ahh yess in your world, touching operators control gadgets is an innocent behaviour, that reflects passengers love and respect to the operator.

Next time you're on a plane, please try to approach to the pilot and push something!

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Ahh yess in your world, touching operators control gadgets is an innocent behaviour, that reflects passengers love and respect to the operator.
I said twice that it was a d-bag maneuver and the passenger should be dropped off as quickly as safely possible. :D:D:D

Look, I simply disagreed with your assessment that it was an assault or emergency, or that 911 was an option. You'll be a much happier person when you learn to let people disagree with you, and maybe even be flexible when the person who disagrees has a good point. The last thing you should do is claim you didn't say something that is still posted, and to try desperately to twist words or thoughts in an effort to tear down the person who had the gall to disagree with you. (gasp!)

Moving on...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.