Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a reminder we are having a meeting of all drivers interested in creating some push back against the new rates.
Sunday, August 8, 4:15pm at Yarborough Branch Library located at 2200 Hancock

I would limit the age of the vehicles to no older than 7 years from the current year.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Interesting. That was the cab industry policy until just recently. The recently passed ordinance permits the companies to keep the vehicle on the road if it can pass inspection. I am serious.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As a cabbie, my main gripe with the Uber drivers is that they are blocking off traffic on streets like Rainey and Red river to wait for their drunk passengers to find them. It is illegal for us behind you to cross over into the lane with oncoming traffic to pass you. Also, for their own safety to avoid being rear-ended, you guys should pull into parking lots or side streets on S. Lamar and s. First.

I guess those are driver education issues that Uber is not likely to address.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You really don't like me, eh? Just ignore me and report me to the mods. I am far more supportive of the plight of Uber drivers than you realize. Please, I don't want to get into a personal dispute with you again. It is a waste of time for both of us and a distraction to any discussion.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
F Uber, we all know the change you'd like to see would be for Uber to leave. ( teasing)

However, driver education would be a good change. Too bad uber thinks we're less than monkeys behind the wheel.

Cabbies block Rainey just as bad, too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As much as I admire ATX 22's organizing efforts, there is a part of me that still thinks you should create a worker owned cooperative that is local and competes with Uber in the local market. Cab drivers have already launched this.

Wouldn't you prefer to share profits amongst yourselves, set your own policies, and have the satisfaction of competing and hopefully conquering a multi national criminal enterprise? Uber has already paved the way for TNCs to enter the market, the city council would be hard-pressed to disapprove of a local enterprise, and it all involves an app, which shouldn't be that hard to create.

·
Registered
385 Posts
F Uber, we all know the change you'd like to see would be for Uber to leave. ( teasing)

However, driver education would be a good change. Too bad uber thinks we're less than monkeys behind the wheel.

Cabbies block Rainey just as bad, too.
Grrr.... Cabbies can be ignorant as well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The main thing is restoring the rates as soon as possible. I can live with my other gripes if I'm being paid fairly.

Find a way to pay us a little more for short trips. If I have to go find somebody, load them, take them somewhere, then wait again for my next ride, that should be worth at least $2.00 in my pockets.

Educate the customers about being prompt. My wait times after arrival are getting ridiculously high. The video I watched when I signed up with uber said to wait five minutes before calling but I have started calling much earlier so they don't take forever.

·
Banned
276 Posts
You really don't like me, eh? Just ignore me and report me to the mods. I am far more supportive of the plight of Uber drivers than you realize. Please, I don't want to get into a personal dispute with you again. It is a waste of time for both of us and a distraction to any discussion.
There are no Mods. The bottom line is that this is an UBER forum and you need to find a cab drivers forum. Your contributions are not helpful to what we are doing nor insightful for those who wish to learn about Uber. You are basically just commenting to hear yourself speak and it's distracting from the issues at hand....which are issues for UBER drivers.

·
Banned
276 Posts
The main thing is restoring the rates as soon as possible. I can live with my other gripes if I'm being paid fairly.

Find a way to pay us a little more for short trips. If I have to go find somebody, load them, take them somewhere, then wait again for my next ride, that should be worth at least $2.00 in my pockets.

Educate the customers about being prompt. My wait times after arrival are getting ridiculously high. The video I watched when I signed up with uber said to wait five minutes before calling but I have started calling much earlier so they don't take forever.
I agree with you 100%. If the money was there and fair there would be little to gripe about really. We all know what we are signing up for here and no situation is perfect. But to be doing the same job and get your rates cut 40% in 6 months is just insulting and ridiculous. I believe the rates are the main/only thing we as a group are going to be focusing on.

Also, on the short trip thing. In some cities or at least "in the past" there was a trip minimum of like $5 or $6. This obviously protects the driver to a certain extent and for the rider at least they know that going in so I don't see it as a huge problem. But I imagine Uber did away with it because they make money regardless of the trip length and in fact make a higher percentage on the shorter trips. It could be something we try to ask for getting reinstated but I would call it a long shot. Interesting to know about it though nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tcc83, I regularly call them as I am on the way. If I am in a safe place to stop, I text them right after I arrive, especially a residential or restaurant pickup.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In crowd situations, I like to get them on the phone and keep them talking to me so I know they're looking for me. Sometimes I call as I pass by the pin if it's in a dangerous place to load, I am often able to see them answer the phone and now I know who I am looking for as I explain that I don't want to be rear ended, can they move part way up the block so I can get them safely. Works pretty well.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Does the text automatically go to the current ride even if you haven't hit arrived yet? I always worry about texting the last rider.

·
Registered
553 Posts
To support my argument about price with actual evidence about how it is impacting the customer:

I used to pass out small water bottles and snacks to customer but stopped because I can't spend any more money than I have to. I was passing out water and snacks to people then getting a $3.20 fare. That leaves $1.70 after ubers take and I'm out for gas, water, snacks, and my time. I also get my car cleaned much less often. Really what matters to them is that after this week I will only be driving once a week instead of 5-6 times.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
As much as I admire ATX 22's organizing efforts, there is a part of me that still thinks you should create a worker owned cooperative that is local and competes with Uber in the local market. Cab drivers have already launched this.

Wouldn't you prefer to share profits amongst yourselves, set your own policies, and have the satisfaction of competing and hopefully conquering a multi national criminal enterprise? Uber has already paved the way for TNCs to enter the market, the city council would be hard-pressed to disapprove of a local enterprise, and it all involves an app, which shouldn't be that hard to create.
It's not the app. It's the data management, the insurance, the lawyers....to name a few :)

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
First, a reminder we are having a meeting of all drivers interested in creating some push back against the new rates.
Sunday, August 8, 4:15pm at Yarborough Branch Library located at 2200 Hancock

I would limit the age of the vehicles to no older than 7 years from the current year.
Hey...we've had cars older than that in out fleet which are immaculate. Why not set mileage, body and interior standards? Like NADA "excellent condition" People can get really great low mileage cars out there if they are smart-don't you want smart drivers who can profitable ? Just food for thought . Remember...These are the types of regulations which led to this "disruption" in the first place .

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want to reestablish the original standards. The hoopties they're letting onboard are an embarrassment. Quite different from an older limo or black car IMO.
Besides, I am a driver, I would like the number of drivers to be limited in some way.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts