Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving off and on since last September and I was wonder what it is going to be like the weekend with the schools out. I will do hunt in my usual spots away from downtown but is it going to be worth it?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
It will be slightly busier the next two weekends before it completely slows down. You do have Artsplosure.

But I have to tell you. There are def more drivers on the road this year then last year at this time. Last nite I drove in an area where there was 3.5x surge for 3 consecutive hours in 2017. This year on the very same nite, it didn’t surge more then 1.4x for more then 5 minutes. So what does this tell me? It tells me there are 3.5x more ants out there then there was a year ago. Not to mention, My balls were to the wall. There was still A LOT of demand but very little to no surge.

I’m taking the nites off this weekend and will probably be in the back seat of someone’s car getting sloshed. Good luck this weekend!!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Another thing keeping surge down is Ubers ability to decrease level of surge sensitivity. There’s definitely a lot more drivers but it’s now harder to get the system to surge. I remember 2 years ago the surge going up to 6.9x easily during concerts. On concerts it takes a while and it only hits 5.5x while lyft is 700%. Definitely surge capping, increase ants, and decrease surge sensitivity are going to make this summer a tough one. If I see no surge at 2:00 AM then I’m heading straight to bed. The drunkards can get to steppin

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Another thing keeping surge down is Ubers ability to decrease level of surge sensitivity. There's definitely a lot more drivers but it's now harder to get the system to surge. I remember 2 years ago the surge going up to 6.9x easily during concerts. On concerts it takes a while and it only hits 5.5x while lyft is 700%. Definitely surge capping, increase ants, and decrease surge sensitivity are going to make this summer a tough one. If I see no surge at 2:00 AM then I'm heading straight to bed. The drunkards can get to steppin
I don't think it's capped and nothing is different other then the number of ants capping it. Also, two years ago, we had the zone maps, so a lot of ants probably took surge rides in the zone instead of the concert. Which probably created more surge from the center of the concert.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
I don't think it's capped and nothing is different other then the number of ants capping it. Also, two years ago, we had the zone maps, so a lot of ants probably took surge rides in the zone instead of the concert. Which probably created more surge from the center of the concert.
I actually think it's both. Yes, there are more ants. Depending on how the algorithm is set up, 10% more ants may be enough to kill surge. As long as there are more ants than people who need a ride at a given moment, no need. At the same time, they've made it more localized
, fleeting and slow to go up which makes it seem like its capped sometimes. Surge seems to be more an attempt to get drivers where they want them. And who knows how much of it uber is pocketing.
Sat at 2 am surge is getting anemic, I'm not going out if there isn't a chance of getting paid.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Did anyone work the teachers rally yesterday in downtown Raleigh? I think Uber capped the surge at 2.5. I didn't see it get higher than that but my phone signal was acting crazy for a few minutes. I was hoping for a monster ride since they had some 20k people there.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I actually think it's both. Yes, there are more ants. Depending on how the algorithm is set up, 10% more ants may be enough to kill surge. As long as there are more ants than people who need a ride at a given moment, no need. At the same time, they've made it more localized
, fleeting and slow to go up which makes it seem like its capped sometimes. Surge seems to be more an attempt to get drivers where they want them. And who knows how much of it uber is pocketing.
Sat at 2 am surge is getting anemic, I'm not going out if there isn't a chance of getting paid.
Eh, I just think the word got around that we were making ok money again in March, so they just all came back out. The surge seemed to operate fine when there was less drivers on the rider app and at RDU.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Did anyone work the teachers rally yesterday in downtown Raleigh? I think Uber capped the surge at 2.5. I didn't see it get higher than that but my phone signal was acting crazy for a few minutes. I was hoping for a monster ride since they had some 20k people there.
Considering that they showed up in buses and carpools I didn't expect demand to sky rocket. Kind of like the state fair to me. People show up there in buses and van loads, it never really creates a big surge unless there is a mass exodus, sometimes at closing just like with bars.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
Eh, I just think the word got around that we were making ok money again in March, so they just all came back out. The surge seemed to operate fine when there was less drivers on the rider app and at RDU.
Sure, Just wait till memorial day weekend! It's going to be slow as all get out when folks go to the beach, meanwhile the ants will be in a frenzy, driving in circles looking for a ping. lets see how fast we can drive them back into retirement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Considering that they showed up in buses and carpools I didn't expect demand to sky rocket. Kind of like the state fair to me. People show up there in buses and van loads, it never really creates a big surge unless there is a mass exodus, sometimes at closing just like with bars.
Watch the weather with events like this. A rain storm can cause a surge. I had a good surge at a golf tournament last year when there was a storm.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Watch the weather with events like this. A rain storm can cause a surge. I had a good surge at a golf tournament last year when there was a storm.
What were they going to do? Catch an Uber to their bus parked at the end of the block? A tournament is one thing, but a rally where you carpool, caravan or are bused to is another. It rained and these people still rallied, there wasn't any stopping them. Golfing on the other hand, only true fans will stick out the weather.

I will agree, watch the weather, but also know the event.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My thought is that, in addition to the things you mention, the 'ants' or 'pax' or 'pax-holes', take your pick, are simply becoming more sophisticated in the way they request rides. They request a ride, they see the cost, and if it's too high they decide to wait. They have learned that if they are willing to wait 5, 10, 15 minutes or more then it is likely that the price will go down to 'normal'. Early AM, sure, people have to get to the airport or to work so they accept a certain premium...but drunks late night? Even in their impaired state they have learned to wait...because they can.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
My thought is that, in addition to the things you mention, the 'ants' or 'pax' or 'pax-holes', take your pick, are simply becoming more sophisticated in the way they request rides. They request a ride, they see the cost, and if it's too high they decide to wait. They have learned that if they are willing to wait 5, 10, 15 minutes or more then it is likely that the price will go down to 'normal'. Early AM, sure, people have to get to the airport or to work so they accept a certain premium...but drunks late night? Even in their impaired state they have learned to wait...because they can.
True that. The other disturbing trend is that the folks who need long trips like down to Clayton, holly springs, wake forest, etc. leave at 1:20am when its 1.3 boost but they are paying regular rate. So they drag you to bfe and you are hard pressed to get back to a red zone for bar close. Tip for cheap trip home, heck no!

·
Registered
224 Posts
True that. The other disturbing trend is that the folks who need long trips like down to Clayton, holly springs, wake forest, etc. leave at 1:20am when its 1.3 boost but they are paying regular rate. So they drag you to bfe and you are hard pressed to get back to a red zone for bar close. Tip for cheap trip home, heck no!
This has gotten me far too many times. 1:40 and you need a trip to Farrington or whatever that place is way south of Chapel Hill. Or Raleigh to Creedmoor. You drop them off and look at the fire you know you won't make it back to in time. Making me want to go offline at 1:30 and just camp.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Actually had this happen to me tonight. I was in downtown after a sweet night at Walnut concert, and at 1.30 I get pinged and destination to wake forest. I should have denied the trip, missed the downtown surge. Which was no great thing but still, a 3.0 5 or 6 miles would have given me the same amount for the 22 mile trip to wake forest. Huge house too, yet no tip. No wonder they’re loaded...they’re cheap.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had a great night until I broke my own rule and accepted a ride from Walnut creek was a huge surge so I allowed my greed to get the better of me Never again any driver who wants to waist hours of their life dealing with that mess power to them cant even hang out in there because cell service is so bad might sit in there and not connect Anyway was looking at 6.4 surge called pax when I hit rock quarry to let them know that its going to take awhile to get to them and I was willing to wait in traffic as long as they where not going to cancel as it would only make there wait longer and really be a dic move on me Did not you say all that but we both agreed So after a hour Yes a hour I get in there only to find out they got in the wrong Uber and the driver was going to take them 45 mins to get out of there Who ever runs the event staff there should have been axed a long time ago 2 lanes to get in 4 lanes to get out No system at all total mess
Kicker they never cancelled so I had to fight with yellow coat trying to get me to move for 5 mins So I could get my 3.75

Actually had this happen to me tonight. I was in downtown after a sweet night at Walnut concert, and at 1.30 I get pinged and destination to wake forest. I should have denied the trip, missed the downtown surge. Which was no great thing but still, a 3.0 5 or 6 miles would have given me the same amount for the 22 mile trip to wake forest. Huge house too, yet no tip. No wonder they're loaded...they're cheap.
I learned to not take any rides after 1.25 am until surge hits Because of them cheap wake forest people Sucks I lose 35 mins But not worth the risk they know what they're doing

This has gotten me far too many times. 1:40 and you need a trip to Farrington or whatever that place is way south of Chapel Hill. Or Raleigh to Creedmoor. You drop them off and look at the fire you know you won't make it back to in time. Making me want to go offline at 1:30 and just camp.
I have to camp Got burned to many nights They know what they're doing We make the same on a 30 min ride to wake forest with all dead miles back then we do 6 min surge ride Not worth it Riders are working the system so must we 1.25 am if im downtown my app goes off and if I do take a ride at 1.24 They better be outside and ready to go if I have to wait one min I go camp Its cut throat out there any more
riders are working the surges and ants dont know better

I refuse to drive drunks at standard fare! I feel sorry for anybody who is doing it!
AMEN

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.