Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

What to do when ur market is flooded with drivers?

4K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  BurgerTiime 
#1 ·
Recently in the past couple of weeks it has gotten really bad with with our market, I know some of you in other markets have dealt with this already. But this is new to me, on a typical Friday night there has been typically only like 10-12 drivers out for ALL of Toledo, and u could make a decent living, now our market is being flooded we have 21 drivers out. Yes it may not be that many but when u don't have the demand for those that are out then the nights are drying up. There wasn't a huge demand for uber drivers b4 and when u double the amount of drivers then, it just makes it ten times worse.

So I am trying to figure out what to do? Do I keep driving for uber and Lyft or do I find a part time job and then drive for uber less I'd much rather keep driving for both, so Idk what to do, Im trying to only do this til may of next year. But if my profits go down to 200 a week I can't live off of that. So idk what to do , u guys got any suggestions, I'm listening...... cause I'm lost:(

#2 ·
Recently in the past couple of weeks it has gotten really bad with with our market, I know some of you in other markets have dealt with this already. But this is new to me, on a typical Friday night there has been typically only like 10-12 drivers out for ALL of Toledo, and u could make a decent living, now our market is being flooded we have 21 drivers out. Yes it may not be that many but when u don't have the demand for those that are out then the nights are drying up. There wasn't a huge demand for uber drivers b4 and when u double the amount of drivers then, it just makes it ten times worse.

So I am trying to figure out what to do? Do I keep driving for uber and Lyft or do I find a part time job and then drive for uber less I'd much rather keep driving for both, so Idk what to do, Im trying to only do this til may of next year. But if my profits go down to 200 a week I can't live off of that. So idk what to do , u guys got any suggestions, I'm listening...... cause I'm lost:(
Sorry to hear this...not fun. The only advice I have is to give out your referral codes like crazy...build ridership. Write them on colorful cards with funny doodles or stickers...hand them out to friends or pass them out at shopping centers...pin them up on community bullet boards...tape them in restrooms of bars, clubs, or hot spots...be creative...get more riders to raise demand...most people are willing to try Uber/Lyft if they know they can get a free ride. Then, the next time they need a ride, the app is on the phone, and they quickly recall how easy it is to request a ride. That's all I got...

Best of luck! Be safe out there.

#33 ·
Sorry to hear this...not fun. The only advice I have is to give out your referral codes like crazy...build ridership.
Unfortunately, the Uber dispatching computer won't give you the trips this effort would generate.

You'd do better to hang out in your car in front of local supermarkets or bus stations, and see who needs a car- maybe someone without a smart phone, or credit card, but in need of a ride.

If you live close to Amish country, those folks don't drive but sometimes need to travel further than their horses might want to drag their buggies.

#3 ·

Arent you in school? Take out some loans and and get a PT job. This ride sharing isnt profitable anymore. I was living off $200 or less a week but im lucky with my living situation

#7 ·
Yea I am, but I cant take out more loans, I wish I could trust me. That just isn't an option for me right now. So I'm stuck with this for now, I'm done with school in may of next year. So I've got to start looking at what I can do. I wish uber would do more advertising so we could get more riders.

#4 ·
What you don't wanna do is take Sebikun20 advice. If you're already struggling, DO NOT take out loans. Try pizza delivery or some kind of food delivery to fill in the gaps or yeah get a part time job and do some rideshare when you have time or during busy times. (Surge)

Uber has pretty much ****ed it up for everyone in every market. It's tough on top of the rate cuts. Not worth it bro. Good Luck and #UBERSTRIKE!!

#16 ·
I always say this: Young people know everything, don't they? Amusing.
No that is not true. However, neither do older people. Yes they have experience but that does not make them wise on the subject. There are many situations that can affect what action you can take at the time, so there isnt only one answer. Besides I merely made a suggestion, I am free to do so. There was no need to insult my 24 year old ignorant ass by telling me that he is wiser because he is older..

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

#17 ·
Sorry to hear this...not fun. The only advice I have is to give out your referral codes like crazy...build ridership. Write them on colorful cards with funny doodles or stickers...hand them out to friends or pass them out at shopping centers...pin them up on community bullet boards...tape them in restrooms of bars, clubs, or hot spots...be creative...get more riders to raise demand...most people are willing to try Uber/Lyft if they know they can get a free ride. Then, the next time they need a ride, the app is on the phone, and they quickly recall how easy it is to request a ride. That's all I got...

Best of luck! Be safe out there.
This is what I try to do as well, I tell nearly all my passengers, especially groups to share their codes with their friends. I don't care if its my code or theirs. Usually groups are using 1 persons account all night. let them know to pass that code around to each other and they can most likely ride the night for free and a few other nights to boot. I don't ever solicit drivers, 500 is cool for the short term but in the end will cost you money. Get passengers to share their referral codes let them get the free ride out of it. They appreciate the advise. Very few even know they can get free rides this way.

#21 ·
To the OP, there's very little money in cabbing unless you;

1) have airport runs.

2) built up a steady clientele list with good fares.

3) work 7 days a week 12 hours each day.

4) have no dependents and financial obligations outside of a roof over your head and food.

5) willing to live like a cockroach with other drivers.

My honest advice for you regarding uber, find out the prime times to make money, make just enough to payoff essentials, and most important, go do something more productive with your life!

Oh, never take out loans, especially those that dabble with interest. Will be a worse choice than uberring.

#22 ·
I can't believe someone is actually suggesting student loans. First only the federally subsidized portion is the interest deferred, which is about 1/3 of the max loan. The unsubsidized portion the payments are deferred while interest accrues. The max is usually around $9500(unless you do private loans) of which $2300 is federally subsidized so interest is accruing on the remaining balance. Once the deferment ends you still pay interest which goes up incrementally and you end up paying around $10k in interest on $30k in loans.

There are millions of grants and scholarships out there, whatever money is left over from school dues goes to you. There is even an app that links you to them all and makes it easy to apply called scholly.

I guess when this girl realizes that she has $40k+ in student loans and actually has to pay it back that it wasn't a good idea.

My wife had a ton of scholarships and grants due to her 4.x hs GPA, ton of AP classes taken and being a minority and yet she decided to also take student loans for personal things like study abroad, summer vacation and a car. Luckily she didn't take out to much but her payment were bigger than car payments and when you see what portion of your payment goes towards principal vs interest it will literally make you sick.

My cousin is a Dr. With 6 figures in student loans, she pays less for her house each month than her student loans. She will tell you not to do it if you don't have to.

I joined the military and when I got out I was paid to go to school.

#35 ·
I can't believe someone is actually suggesting student loans. First only the federally subsidized portion is the interest deferred, which is about 1/3 of the max loan. The unsubsidized portion the payments are deferred while interest accrues. The max is usually around $9500(unless you do private loans) of which $2300 is federally subsidized so interest is accruing on the remaining balance. Once the deferment ends you still pay interest which goes up incrementally and you end up paying around $10k in interest on $30k in loans.

There are millions of grants and scholarships out there, whatever money is left over from school dues goes to you. There is even an app that links you to them all and makes it easy to apply called scholly.

I guess when this girl realizes that she has $40k+ in student loans and actually has to pay it back that it wasn't a good idea.

My wife had a ton of scholarships and grants due to her 4.x hs GPA, ton of AP classes taken and being a minority and yet she decided to also take student loans for personal things like study abroad, summer vacation and a car. Luckily she didn't take out to much but her payment were bigger than car payments and when you see what portion of your payment goes towards principal vs interest it will literally make you sick.

My cousin is a Dr. With 6 figures in student loans, she pays less for her house each month than her student loans. She will tell you not to do it if you don't have to.

I joined the military and when I got out I was paid to go to school.
Preach it!

#23 ·

heck. I have seen 21 drivers in a 1 sqare mile area..

You ain't seen nothing yet.

#27 ·
Thats what loans are for..... All money doesnt exist and is a simple cycle of debt that goes through everyone at some point. Besides there is no interest while in school. Take out what you need to keep paying rent, supplies, bills, and stuff.
I've read some dumb shit on here, this one is up there!

#29 ·
No
Oh you support the strike, no wonder... the members of the cult is now giving out financial advice apparently... Ill paint my toenails while you go make some fake rider accounts and send out some fake pings to people who are trying to make a living with the resources available to them. You know since you are better than all those people and feel like the divine being up in the clouds chose the people of the Uber strike to ... wait for it... change the world and save the poor bastards who drive for Uber as slaves and dont know any better, from the reincarnation of the devil that is Uber.
I will try not to be too critical here.... Your grammar and punctuation do not reflect the "higher education" that your loans - guaranteed by me, (that you want to defer), are paying for.
To the guy that is struggling,
The older gentleman is correct. Increasing your debt for education that marginally increases your income is not a wise idea. Stretch out your remaining education over a period of time you can afford. You have many years ahead with plenty of time to adapt! Just keep pushing, the boulder will move. I was in your shoes, I know! Good luck!
As to the strike, two days will affect Uber's bottom line. That is the best way to send a message!

#30 ·
I think the first thing you should do is adjust your schedule. Your young so maybe work late night hours when your competition has fallen asleep.

I find, where I'm from, the best time of night is 1am-4am. Grab some coffee:)
This. I went out at 4am yesterday (Sunday) morning and earned $63 in 2.5 hours. I had four runs, one of which was a 30 mile airport run.

#31 ·

12 midnight til 6 or 7am is the best time to drive. And 6pm til 8pm.

#38 ·

Don't depend on Uber for your income

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.