Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly I asked the name of rider when I pick up. I picked up wrong guy (with one girl and guy) for 28 mile trip at 1.5X for 30 min duration. When I asked are you XX, he said yes and got in the car( I always ask name, not tell).When I started the trip, the address was different than he wanted to go to. I asked the address and manually put in GPS. When I was on freeway the guy who requested uber called and said he is waiting for me. I asked the cheater that you are wrong guy why did you tell me you are XX. He said I thought you are telling your name. My driver's name is XX. I thought how come your driver's and my rider's name is XX( kept quiet). I tried to cancel the trip but could not do that because trip was in progress. So I took these guy to their destination and he try to give me $12 that I did not take. I took his real phone, name and asked him to call uber to pay for the trip. I did not wanted to be attacked during the trip as I did not know his identity and I did not argue with them. I think this guy did not call uber, I did not call uber because I don't have any trip ID. What to do to retrieve money?:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Uberjacked fare will be removed from your pay and you will lose it. With the lost money you have purchased a (hopefully) effective lesson on how not to do pickups.

Harsh, but that's the way it is.
Is there any way to bust his ass and teach him a effective lesson too and get money?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happened.

don't let it happen again.

"Hi, could I get the name of the person who ordered the Uber?"

Or if they have already locked eyes on your phone and read it off the app:

"could you tell me your Uber driver's name?"
You are right, I always ask their name but this time I spoke out rider's name.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Wrong address is a HUGE clue of wrong pax, (somebody had to enter destination). I have seen 2 drivers (same name) and 2 pax (same name) within 50 feet of each other, vehicle model and destination helped sort it out.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I once had a pickup outside a bar as it closed. Guy identified himself with the right name when I asked. Almost drove off before my actual rider stopped us. Same name! Checked their phone screens to see the driver assigned to them. Very rare occasion, so I don't expect to see it again. I do like that Lyft allows people to use profile photos. Granted, many are from their facebook profile which is sometimes not the actual rider or are of several people. Most of the time the profile photo is a big help and I still ask for their name anyways. If I have a pickup in a busy area such as in front of a bar and I have no profile pic I will ask to check the rider's phone to make certain I haven't got the wrong person. Also helps to do that if they use a nickname on their rider profile. I'm sure UberBus has learned the lesson, but I'm still going to say it: "NEVER SAY THE PAX NAME, LET THEM SAY IT."

As far as dealing with Uber, I would say you can be proactive and email on behalf of the rider who got charged big time for a fare they didn't get. However, the real rider likely contacted Uber and got a refund. If they take the fare out of your pay, suggest contacting them and telling them the rider you picked up identified themselves as the correct name. In my experience they will leave your pay alone if they think you did all you are supposed to do, especially if you appear to fit their ideal "partner" such as high acceptance and rating. There's always the chance they'll still screw you, but you would be no worse off than you deserve to be.

Reactions: Nagodesi

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I once had a pickup outside a bar as it closed. Guy identified himself with the right name when I asked. Almost drove off before my actual rider stopped us. Same name! Checked their phone screens to see the driver assigned to them. Very rare occasion, so I don't expect to see it again. I do like that Lyft allows people to use profile photos. Granted, many are from their facebook profile which is sometimes not the actual rider or are of several people. Most of the time the profile photo is a big help and I still ask for their name anyways. If I have a pickup in a busy area such as in front of a bar and I have no profile pic I will ask to check the rider's phone to make certain I haven't got the wrong person. Also helps to do that if they use a nickname on their rider profile. I'm sure UberBus has learned the lesson, but I'm still going to say it: "NEVER SAY THE PAX NAME, LET THEM SAY IT."

As far as dealing with Uber, I would say you can be proactive and email on behalf of the rider who got charged big time for a fare they didn't get. However, the real rider likely contacted Uber and got a refund. If they take the fare out of your pay, suggest contacting them and telling them the rider you picked up identified themselves as the correct name. In my experience they will leave your pay alone if they think you did all you are supposed to do, especially if you appear to fit their ideal "partner" such as high acceptance and rating. There's always the chance they'll still screw you, but you would be no worse off than you deserve to be.
I know it. Lesson learned
"NEVER SAY THE PAX NAME, LET THEM SAY IT."
As I said before "I always ask their name but this time I spoke out rider's name."

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had a guy on lyft yesterday that uses rideshare a lot. He approached me showing me my picture on his phone. I thought it's pretty neat way to do it. I wish uber or lyft could instruct riders to do so

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I know it. Lesson learned
"NEVER SAY THE PAX NAME, LET THEM SAY IT."
As I said before "I always ask their name but this time I spoke out rider's name."
I know I know but it was this or put a bar of soap in a sock and beat you with it

Reactions: Fuzzyelvis

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Mostly I asked the name of rider when I pick up. I picked up wrong guy (with one girl and guy) for 28 mile trip at 1.5X for 30 min duration. When I asked are you XX, he said yes and got in the car( I always ask name, not tell).When I started the trip, the address was different than he wanted to go to. I asked the address and manually put in GPS. When I was on freeway the guy who requested uber called and said he is waiting for me. I asked the cheater that you are wrong guy why did you tell me you are XX. He said I thought you are telling your name. My driver's name is XX. I thought how come your driver's and my rider's name is XX( kept quiet). I tried to cancel the trip but could not do that because trip was in progress. So I took these guy to their destination and he try to give me $12 that I did not take. I took his real phone, name and asked him to call uber to pay for the trip. I did not wanted to be attacked during the trip as I did not know his identity and I did not argue with them. I think this guy did not call uber, I did not call uber because I don't have any trip ID. What to do to retrieve money?:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:
You said you "ask the name don't tell", but if you asked "Are you ..." you DID tell.

Answer is cry. And don't do it again. Ask "What is your name?" Unless a very uncommon name "What is my name?" I do this. Have not had this happen to me but practically every long term rider I've spoken to says they have been picked up by the wrong car at least once.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Have them confirm their name, call them as their walking up, have them input the destination if they haven't already, have them confirm the destination...no excuse to be picking up the wrong people. Uber doesn't care about you so if you mess up, it's on you.

Uber on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have them confirm their name, call them as their walking up, have them input the destination if they haven't already, have them confirm the destination...no excuse to be picking up the wrong people. Uber doesn't care about you so if you mess up, it's on you.

Uber on
WHAAAAAAT?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It's not fair to call the rider a cheater. You're the one who picked up the wrong person, which is as much your fault as his. Actually mores, since the driver should be expected to know the rules better than the customers.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If I ever transport the wrong pax I'll just hang myself for being a complete moron.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts