Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question for you . I've been driving Uber in New Jersey with a 2003 Mazda and couldn't register this car with TLC because of its age. But now I bought a used, newer car that meets the TLC requirements. I also live in one of the five boroughs and I have a TLC license . I got comprehensive coverage for this newer car with Progressive. Can I just get the fh1 insurance through Progressive or do I have to go to a different insurer and in that case do I get rid of the comprehensive coverage with Progressive or do I keep that too.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt Progressive provides FH1 insurance. I also don't think you would need both.

·
Registered
546 Posts
First thing you have to do is register the car with a base. Take all you documents to an Uber office to get the base letter. Then you have to take the base letter to a broker who deals with TLC insurance. Progressive does not provide insurance for TLC. There are only a handful of companies that do and the most common is American Transit. Find a broker who deals with them. After you have the insurance you will need an appointment with the TLC to issue you a clearance letter to get TLC plates from the DMV. After all that is done you will get an appointment to have he car inspected at the TLC facility. That's the last step.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
You need to get a base letter from uber that you take to the insurance company that will give you commercial insurance. A lot of them are in long island city. Then you need to get the tlc license plates from the dmv after you obtain the insurance and go to the woodside facility to have your car inspected. The inspection facility will put the blue sticker on your car windshield and rear side windows if you pass and you are free to drive.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much do they want as upfront money for FH1. I heard they want like 3 months in advance. Is that true?

·
Banned
2,126 Posts
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Parallel
How much do they want as upfront money for FH1. I heard they want like 3 months in advance. Is that true?
This question has been discussed in here to nauseum, use the search function in this forum, it helps.
You can find Taxi/FHV insurance brokers in here http://editions.us.com/blackcarnews/#
or call my broker above.
There is 50 plus thousand Uber cars in NYC, I suggest you go look for a different job, rent an uber car for a month or two, or try yellow for a while to see how the city works. Don't say you weren't warned.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 102956
This question has been discussed in here to nauseum, use the search function in this forum, it helps.
You can find Taxi/FHV insurance brokers in here http://editions.us.com/blackcarnews/#
or call my broker above.
There is 50 plus thousand Uber cars in NYC, I suggest you go look for a different job, rent an uber car for a month or two, or try yellow for a while to see how the city works. Don't say you weren't warned.
Hey man, I know about the search option. But things change once in awhile. For example one of the guys here said he was quoted $500 down. I'd like something like that, please give me a # to call if you do, as I really don't have more than $1000 to spend with the TLC registration. As for looking for another job, I already drive Uber in NJ as a second job. I've been doing it for quite a while. I made good money there in the beginning, but things crapped out , too many drivers and too many $3.71 rides for cheapskates who get driven to their jobs almost for free. I drove yesterday , this girl to her shoprite job, for $3.71, for some reason the GPS took me to the side of the market, but not the front. All she had to do is get off the car and walk one flight of stairs. But No, she made me go all the way around inside the parking lot to drop her cheap behind in front of the place, so she can brag to her co workers she gets driven to work. And all that for a $3.71. It's ridiculous. I already have a day job, but I need this. I need money, got kids, bills to pay.
Anyway, I digress, I was going to try and make the guarantees in NYC for one month and then think about what else I'm going to do. I did not go with the rental, because I needed a newer car anyway to get safely to my first job. Uber just completely killed the front end of my 2003 Mazda on the crappy jersey roads to make $3.71 a ride. I might regret trading that car in, going to have so many expenses now. I have to work more, I guess. I'm very determined and weekends I pull double 10 hour shifts.

Depends on the company. It is at least 500 minimum.
Do you have the name of that company that takes like $500 for down payment ?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just did this same thing last week. As others said, take docs to Uber base and get letter. Then get commercial insurance. I got a quote from Inshur on their App and also Lone Star Brokerage. Lone Star was about $30 cheaper per month (got liability and collision) and they are very helpful and friendly. Once you get commercial insurance, go back to the base with the FH1 insurance policy and Uber will do everything for you right there to get the plate letter. You should get an e-mail from the TLC with the plate letter within 48 hours. Once you get the plate letter, go to DMV and get your plates. I was able to do this the next day. Then go home and log in to TLC to schedule appt for inspection. From the time you get your commercial insurance to getting your TLC inspection will be about 10 days.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Use the search function
Hey man, I know about the search option. But things change once in awhile. For example one of the guys here said he was quoted $500 down. I'd like something like that, please give me a # to call if you do, as I really don't have more than $1000 to spend with the TLC registration. As for looking for another job, I already drive Uber in NJ as a second job. I've been doing it for quite a while. I made good money there in the beginning, but things crapped out , too many drivers and too many $3.71 rides for cheapskates who get driven to their jobs almost for free. I drove yesterday , this girl to her shoprite job, for $3.71, for some reason the GPS took me to the side of the market, but not the front. All she had to do is get off the car and walk one flight of stairs. But No, she made me go all the way around inside the parking lot to drop her cheap behind in front of the place, so she can brag to her co workers she gets driven to work. And all that for a $3.71. It's ridiculous. I already have a day job, but I need this. I need money, got kids, bills to pay.
Anyway, I digress, I was going to try and make the guarantees in NYC for one month and then think about what else I'm going to do. I did not go with the rental, because I needed a newer car anyway to get safely to my first job. Uber just completely killed the front end of my 2003 Mazda on the crappy jersey roads to make $3.71 a ride. I might regret trading that car in, going to have so many expenses now. I have to work more, I guess. I'm very determined and weekends I pull double 10 hour shifts.

Its gonna cost you more than 1000 to put tlc plates on your car. You have 425 dmv fee and 675 tlc fee (if car is over 500miles) then your down payment for your insurance anywhere from 500 to 1200 depending on your driving record etc. The whole process takes about a month after the purchse of the vehicle. So you are looking at 1500 to 2100 to get started

·
Registered
116 Posts
why needed to drive in nyc fever everybody having? work in nj chase surges there , don't spend thousands for stupid fees , no traffic , nice roads

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Registration is going to be over $500 for the first year for something like Camry. NY registration fee is based on weight. Between TLC fee, registration and insurance you are looking at more than $2000
If I was you, I would stick to NJ.
There are too many additional fees here in NYC.
Before investing all the money to work here, rent a TLC licensed vehicle for a few weeks and test the waters for yourself.
Our market sucks right now, probably will not improve.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've met lot of people who took out their TLC plates and put regular DMV plates on their cars to work in Jersey, first of 'em is my neighbor with his Pathfinder, took out the TLC plates and put regular NJ plates, and a couple weeks ago I saw a brand new camry with regular NY plates and it stil has TLC diamonds on the windows and windshield picking up in downtown newark.
Last but not least, and to top it off, I met this russian old man 60-65 years old in Hoboken driving a shiny 2012 Escalade ESV premium, he approached me and asked me about how Black/SUV is doing now, I replied that high end Uber is dead, I work with a company, and I pulled my phone to show him how dead Uber is, he was like whaaaaat, I make more doing UberX here in NJ, to my surprise he pointed to his Escalade, I was like WTF?! You're doing X in NJ with a Escalade ESV he said yes, he had legal troubles and lost his TLC, then he put regular NY plates on that beauty and works in NJ. !!!!!!!

He lives in brooklyn, sheepshead bay, and drives all the way to NJ with that Escalade, I told him maaaaan just do all of us a favor and buy a beat up civic if you have to do this, he laughed and walked away.

No wonder why this business went down the drain, high end rides with less than bus fares !!!!
Seriously DO NOT put TLC on cars for Uber, just do the damn thing like it's supposed to be, and that is rideshare in a crappy car with no licensing .

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
why needed to drive in nyc fever everybody having? work in nj chase surges there , don't spend thousands for stupid fees , no traffic , nice roads
Tried Jersey a few times and u have to drive too many miles for your money. I would only drive there if I had to

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

I only paid like $500 something with MAYA

Tried Jersey a few times and u have to drive too many miles for your money. I would only drive there if I had to
Yes, yes and yes. I mean just to get to the pax, it can take 10-15 minutes and lots of miles...and even a toll to get to pax, which is NOT refundable thru Uber!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts