Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was under 4 stars gets you shut down. Today I needed a ride to EWR and get picked up by this guy rocking a sparkling 3.25. And he deserves every bit of it, absolutely brutal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I thought it was under 4 stars gets you shut down. Today I needed a ride to EWR and get picked up by this guy rocking a sparkling 3.25. And he deserves every bit of it, absolutely brutal.
It's 4.6. As someone who is still making up for my disastrous first week, I can tell you that this rating could be misleading. (1+3+4+5)/4 = 3.25. It's impossible to judge someone on 4 trips. If that amount of rated trips is 12,16, 20, etc., then it's a problem. Just a couple of weeks ago, I am certain my weekly rating was probably under 4--in only rated trips. One reason is that a pax gave me a low score when I asked him where he was going. Unless you can confirm he's a veteran--50+ trips--I can't say that this guy is bad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 4.6. As someone who is still making up for my disastrous first week, I can tell you that this rating could be misleading. (1+3+4+5)/4 = 3.25. It's impossible to judge someone on 4 trips. If that amount of rated trips is 12,16, 20, etc., then it's a problem. Just a couple of weeks ago, I am certain my weekly rating was probably under 4--in only rated trips. One reason is that a pax gave me a low score when I asked him where he was going. Unless you can confirm he's a veteran--50+ trips--I can't say that this guy is bad.
Good point, didn't think of that. He might be new, my biggest problem was he was driving with his phone in his hand and was glued to the GPS the whole way into EWR. So it was causing him to drive extra slow and drift out of the lane. That's in addition to driving past my house on pick up, so he had to do a big circle to come back. I live in Bayonne on an a Main Street, not that hard lol! If he's new, he's got a lot to learn.

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
Hoboken says that 4.6 in New Jersey is the point at which it jumps off of the computer and into a person's eyeballs. That's when they look at it. They actually do understand that in the rest of the world 4 stars out of 5 is above-average, so if you have a low average that is still in the fours and that is why, they get it you're not going to be booted period similarly if you have a bunch of fours and a decent amount of fives to counter it, neither will the occasional one star. They also end up looking at if the ride you got rated poorly on was in a surge. People paying more money are not happy about it, and they take it out in ratings. They are considering the possibility of this being the case also in pool from what another driver told me that he supposedly heard.

4.6 is not automatic deactivation. They also understand that they cannot even begin to come up with an accurate rating even by their standards until there are a certain number of ratings that come through.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Good point, didn't think of that. He might be new, my biggest problem was he was driving with his phone in his hand and was glued to the GPS the whole way into EWR. So it was causing him to drive extra slow and drift out of the lane. That's in addition to driving past my house on pick up, so he had to do a big circle to come back. I live in Bayonne on an a Main Street, not that hard lol! If he's new, he's got a lot to learn.
Those are all mistakes I made when I first began driving. I didn't have a phone mount and had to hold on to my phone--that lasted at least a week(35 trips). I also miss a lot of addresses on main roads with lots of traffic. Given the choice of entering the wrong person's driveway and having to make a turn because I missed the pick up location, I am choosing the latter. But that's not my rating was low. I have always been a careful driver. My low rating was due to lack of experience of not related to driving, e.g., not cancelling on someone who I knew was in a really bad mood.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Hoboken says that 4.6 in New Jersey is the point at which it jumps off of the computer and into a person's eyeballs. That's when they look at it. They actually do understand that in the rest of the world 4 stars out of 5 is above-average, so if you have a low average that is still in the fours and that is why, they get it you're not going to be booted period similarly if you have a bunch of fours and a decent amount of fives to counter it, neither will the occasional one star. They also end up looking at if the ride you got rated poorly on was in a surge. People paying more money are not happy about it, and they take it out in ratings. They are considering the possibility of this being the case also in pool from what another driver told me that he supposedly heard.

4.6 is not automatic deactivation. They also understand that they cannot even begin to come up with an accurate rating even by their standards until there are a certain number of ratings that come through.
Very well said

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Sing along:

Narrator: Bud Lite Presents...Real Men of Genius...

Male singers: Real Men of Genius.

Narrator: Today we salute you, Mr. 3.25 rated Uber guy..

Male Singer : Mr. 3.25 rated Uber Guy.

Narrator: It's 1:45AM, and after a long night of beer drinking, we just discovered....We're all... out...of Cheetos.

Male: It's not easy bein' cheesy!

Narrator: Chester Cheetah may have gone to bed, but your black TLC Camry is only 20 minutes away, gassed up and ready for a round trip sprint to 7-11.

Female: Oh, thank heaven!

Narrator: Sure, bars may be closing and downtown Red Bank is surging, but you know the REAL party's at "some kid's parents' house" in Holmdel!

Female: Acceptance rate king!

Narrator: So crack open an ice cold Bud Lite, old lifeguard of the UberPOOL, we'll drink it for ya in the backseat and give ya one star for not getting here fast enough!

Female Singer: Those 3 and quarter stars are shining!

Male: Bud Lite Beer, Anheuser Busch, Newark New Jersey.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Drivers with no phone mounts are an automatic 3 star for me. Except for one guy who explained that his broke the other day and he was getting another one that day.

Hell, Wal-Mart sells a nice one without moving parts for $10, and for $10 more you can get a one-touch system that locks your phone into place when you press up on it. Gotta put that in the list of startup expenses.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've seen 4.4 and 4.5. If anyone remembers, one of the promotions for new drivers last year only required a 4.5 to qualify.
3.25 just sounds like a very new driver. Think about it though. Job training is just a 13 minute YouTube video.
Ratings don't mean anything really... Maybe they mean more for pax finally. Lots of low rated pax now, and I bet they wait longer to get their ride accepted. I know I let most of them ping out. Like in my area there's this minimum fare lady that pings at 5am from the same address. She's like 4.41 or something. At that time, we're all cherry picking pings for airport trips, and anything below a 4.67 at that time isn't worth it, so she loses. It's her own fault too. She takes 4 minutes to get out of her house, she's not going far, doesn't tip and gives turn by turn directions in a really rude manner. There's cars available, just nobody accepting her ping. I see her try 3, sometimes 4 times in a row. Now I know to go offline for a few minutes so some newbie 18 minutes away can get stuck with her.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I've seen 4.4 and 4.5. If anyone remembers, one of the promotions for new drivers last year only required a 4.5 to qualify.
3.25 just sounds like a very new driver. Think about it though. Job training is just a 13 minute YouTube video.
Ratings don't mean anything really... Maybe they mean more for pax finally. Lots of low rated pax now, and I bet they wait longer to get their ride accepted. I know I let most of them ping out. Like in my area there's this minimum fare lady that pings at 5am from the same address. She's like 4.41 or something. At that time, we're all cherry picking pings for airport trips, and anything below a 4.67 at that time isn't worth it, so she loses. It's her own fault too. She takes 4 minutes to get out of her house, she's not going far, doesn't tip and gives turn by turn directions in a really rude manner. There's cars available, just nobody accepting her ping. I see her try 3, sometimes 4 times in a row. Now I know to go offline for a few minutes so some newbie 18 minutes away can get stuck with her.
Nice what's the address I would love to pick her up and mess with her..

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice to hear that you avoid the trash

I hate idiots like that

I really cant imagine how stupid some of these passengers are that they do not realize that a $2 tip every morning would bring them friendly and fast service with a smile

Cheap bastards get what they deserve - silence and a long ass wait

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Nice to hear that you avoid the trash

I hate idiots like that

I really cant imagine how stupid some of these passengers are that they do not realize that a $2 tip every morning would bring them friendly and fast service with a smile

Cheap bastards get what they deserve - silence and a long ass wait
Exactly. There's another dude. Every morning at 4:45 he pings to go 1.5 miles to the bus stop. He either gives 2 dollars if he has singles, or 5 dollars if he doesn't have change. Nice guy, polite. He has no problem getting picked up.

Nice what's the address I would love to pick her up and mess with her..
It's actually from her job to her house. It might be within your range. All I'll say is that it starts with 300. Be nice! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts