Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving and thinking about why some riders tip for no reason and others never tip, regardless of how comfortable and enjoyable the ride was. Some hassle you and enjoy using your phone charger and treating you as their on-demand personal assistant (more like a slave), yet when the trip is over, they forget to add a tip or even a nice comment or two. Sadly, the bad apples outnumber the good people by a margin of ten to one.

I have heard that restaurant waiters and especially old veteran waitresses have subtle ways of getting people to give them bigger tips and to be generous overall. Being a driver is a different profession, but we're getting many of these riders transported in luxury or semi-luxury private cars and delivering their asses safely most of the time to their desired destinations, usually without any hassles, aside from the normal traffic and congestion in our wicked Bay Area.

How in the world, would a poor Uber driver use psychology or reverse-psychology to get riders to be more generous and actually leave a small tip or "dreaming" a larger tip?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I found when I started stocking Chivas Regal in the complementary mini bar, the tips began rolling in.

I also have signs up that I do free needle exchanges and offer a fingernail tasting sampler from all the previous paxs.

They love it!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
There are 3 types of people in the world: 1) givers 2)takers and 3) everyone else. The givers almost always tip, that’s their nature and these are the best types. The takers never tip and they are the worst type. With everyone else you real have to do something exceptional for them or really connect with them on a one to one personal level....this doesn’t happen that frequently since we’re all so different.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are 3 types of people in the world: 1) givers 2)takers and 3) everyone else. The givers almost always tip, that's their nature and these are the best types. The takers never tip and they are the worst type. With everyone else you real have to do something exceptional for them or really connect with them on a one to one personal level....this doesn't happen that frequently since we're all so different.
So true ..

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Uber claimed that tips are included in fare when it founded in 2009. Then media misled that Uber drivers make 6 figures a year. Most riders are ex bus riders. Those are facts only Uber can make change.
Change Uber must make: every tip money counts toward next ride for the rider.
Please tell uber this change if you have a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The golden rule for servers to get higher tips is “Make the customers feel good about themselves and they will like you. The more customers like their servers, the higher the tips they are likely to leave.”

This advice from the article, sounds pretty good, but how would this be applied to driving?
What do people think of this, especially #4 and #5?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I’m going to be completely honest ! l I would probably never tip if I wasn’t a driver, it’s just hard to relate and it’s not because people are bad , you just don’t think much of it which is why a sign is probably a good idea.

Restaurants and other places are different , people have seen you and you kind worry what they think of you but with Uber I never make eye contact with anybody , I’m like a ghost in and out never to see each other again but if a driver talks to me , I tip them ! always and if they say nothing I give them 5* and that’s it.

When I drive I prefer not to talk but I have found beautiful women will tip me at night for being quiet :( when I talk though lol tips roll in.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Some folks tip, some don't. As long as you steadily maintain a clean car and drive well, your tips will remain the same. I've recently given a multi-millionaire multiple rides. Lives just down the road from me. I know who he is, he has a huge company and a main Street named after him. Very friendly, perfect pax except zero tips. Short trips to the bar, and from friends houses. Very engaging and instead of speaking about himself, he asked me about my life....my day job...wife,kids. On our second trip he remembered every detail. Kids names, ages, where I grew up..etc and introduced me to his friends who worked for him in back seat. Would it have hurt him to tip me a dollar or two? He wouldn't miss it. But I've taken African American truck drivers on short trips to pick up their semis and been tipped well. Matter of fact, black folks, per capital, have tipped me the best. My point is...no matter how well you drive...how clean and fresh that car is...and how awesome of a convo you have, some folks just don't tip Ubers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, this is just replacement for mass transit. The only people who will tip are poorer people or people in the service industry, enthusiastic talkers who also mention or allude to their having lots of money, tourists, or the people who are genuinely nice and also have lots of money. Everyone else doesn’t want to pay more than they have to, plus, rideshares whole ethos has been built on “you don’t have to tip.”

·
Premium Member
2022 Lucid Air
2,747 Posts
. I've recently given a multi-millionaire multiple rides. Lives just down the road from me. I know who he is, he has a huge company and a main Street named after him. Very friendly, perfect pax except zero tips. Short trips to the bar, and from friends houses. Very engaging and instead of speaking about himself, he asked me about my life....my day job...wife,kids. On our second trip he remembered every detail. Kids names, ages, where I grew up..etc and introduced me to his friends who worked for him in back seat.
The other day I took a guy from his house, which Zillow says is worth over $2.5 million, to pick up his Mercedes at the dealership, which is 30 minutes away. He's a very successful restauranteur -- which, let's review, is a service industry and totally dependent on tips. Very pleasant guy; initiated conversation with me and asked a lot of questions about my life. Trouble-free ride, and I followed his directions instead of the app's. No tip.

Couple days later, I drove a pair of young/rich/beautiful San Francisco gals to a winery way the hell up at the north end of the valley. They spent much of the trip talking about all the bar-hopping they do in the City. I'm sure every time a bartender spends 15 seconds putting booze in a glass, putting a napkin down on the bar, and putting the glass on the napkin, he gets a tip from them. How much of a tip does ol' Grand Lake get for driving them for a half hour on a winding, undivided road where the opposing traffic is 50 mph and probably drunk? Yeah, you guessed it: nothing.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Some folks tip, some don't. As long as you steadily maintain a clean car and drive well, your tips will remain the same. I've recently given a multi-millionaire multiple rides. Lives just down the road from me. I know who he is, he has a huge company and a main Street named after him. Very friendly, perfect pax except zero tips. Short trips to the bar, and from friends houses. Very engaging and instead of speaking about himself, he asked me about my life....my day job...wife,kids. On our second trip he remembered every detail. Kids names, ages, where I grew up..etc and introduced me to his friends who worked for him in back seat. Would it have hurt him to tip me a dollar or two? He wouldn't miss it. But I've taken African American truck drivers on short trips to pick up their semis and been tipped well. Matter of fact, black folks, per capital, have tipped me the best. My point is...no matter how well you drive...how clean and fresh that car is...and how awesome of a convo you have, some folks just don't tip Ubers.
That was funny lol you made one big mistake by assuming he wanted to know your kids names and more , damn ! Where you grew up ? Nobody cares , they just want to talk about themselves!! When they ask you answer quick and then either ask a question or make room for them to talk about themselves if not enjoy the silence cause nobody cares .

he might have remembered but in his mind he was probably dreaming about jumping off a clif.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.