Uber Drivers Forum banner

What keeps you wake up at night?

• 1. Abrupt climate change.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 2. Mass Extinction.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Automation and AI.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. The rise of right wing populism and neoliberalism.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 5. Personal finances.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • 6. Illegal migrants.

Votes: 3 20.0%

What keeps you awake at night?

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Salz 
#1 ·
This list is not exhaustive and no doubt it could be more detailed.

#7 ·
I remember checking into the Carleton Holiday Inn dtn and found a bedbug on the top of the pillow case. They moved us to another room.
NYC hotels have serious bedbug infestations and have had so for years. Bedbugs are a serious problem but do not pose a serious macro long term global issue. BTW...to avoid bedbugs do not pick up pax who are in the midst of doing economical moving using your trunk and backseat.

#10 ·
I was listening to an MD who said 50% of heartburn cases she treats are attributable to drinking too much coffee.

"Heartburn. Since coffee is highly acidic, it can cause heartburn in many people, likely from the caffeine as well as other compounds present in the drink. Experts recommend only having one three-to-four ounce cup of coffee to cut down on heartburn symptoms."

#13 ·
Sometimes heartburn wakes me up in the middle of the night. But I usually attribute this to overeating rather than my 6th or 7th cup of coffee.

Bach drank a lot of coffee. Bach is my greatest hero. The research goes back and forth on whether or not shitloads of coffee is healthy.

#16 ·
I suppose UP will not exist is few years since most of the drivers will be replaced with AV and AI. Makes us realize how fortunate we were to drive for Uber and make such frugal fare rates. It coud have been worse, we could have been rapped at home doing our "fare" share of household chores.

#18 ·
Looks like we have a trend line here with the overwhelming majority more concerned about personal finances. Who in their right mind would want to be facing the annihilation of the earth knowing you still had car payments to make and an unpaid mortgage while facing imminent death.

#23 · (Edited)
i wonder mass extinction is in a separate category due to it happening for a reason other than climate change (such as asteroid, gamma ray burst etc.) coz the 6th mass extinction is already underway due to man-made climate change, pollution, loss of habitat.

i admit having a restless night the first time i realized the imminent existential threat that climate change poses to our civilization. I wasn't unaware of the gravity of the situation but even after reading/watching people like Al Gore you think that they don't really emphasize strongly enough that we're pretty much doomed in view of the fact that what is being done currently done to limit carbon emissions (including Paris agreement) will be too little and too late.

2 C of warming by 2050 (1 C has already happened since 1880) is a certainty and it will be catastrophic, and 5 C or higher is the most likely scenario by 2100 and that will be it for civilization and possibly our species as well. For comparison purposes, in the last ice age 12,000 years ago, the average temperature was 5 C colder and NYC was covered in 1 mile+ thick ice sheet.

But there's another argument i read by James Hansen (in his book Storms of my Grandchildren) that says: what choice do we have if we do not hold out hope and strive for whatever we can to delay or prevent the inevitable? Will hopelessness achieve anything different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.