Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A ton of Uber XL drivers are no longer on the road, I think right now there is one operating Tuesday night.

There are definitely less drivers on the road, and a number of the ones on the road don't really seem to know the hot spots as well as before (good for us still driving I suppose)

I'm getting more frequent pings but not even coming close to making the same amount.

I have a generally high rating and noticed that I have many more 4 stars than usual, though I don't think I've driven worse, in fact I've got every ride pretty much down pat.

Guessing its because of my building pessimism. ....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Urban, I might have been that XL you saw. I just clocked out a short time ago. I have not had an XL ride for a loooong time. It's not worth driving a lower-mileage vehicle "just in case" I might get an XL ping.

I was online for about 6 hours today. 5 rides. whoop-tee-dooo.

If I use the IRS mileage rate of 57.5c per mile, I actually lost about $6 today. It's getting real tough to justify this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When people request XL do they generally have a large group or do they just like reading in bigger vehicles?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Usually it's a larger group, but it varies.

I did have a lawyer from downtown that wanted an XL ride to the airport (and probably billed his client).

Sometimes it's an airport run with a lot of luggage. The PAX is smart enough to know an XL is needed.

Once it was a first date, and the dude wanted to impress the girl (oh yes, she was worth impressing). And he was happy I pulled up in the SUV instead of a mini-van. He tipped big.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A bit of update and re-think regarding XL....

Last night there were a few XL's on the road, but for some reason I was getting XL pings from a loooong distance away. I should have rejected the ping, but it was such a crappy day I didn't want to turn down the revenue. Turns out I still lost money, even with the XL rates.

I suspect most XL cars have reduced their time on the road since it costs much more to drive a larger vehicle, and the few XL rides just don't make up the difference.

The rate reductions have certainly changed the dynamics of driver planning.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am XL with 10 fares last night (5x/5xl) only one had more than 4 pax. So without those I would have made ~$80 last night instead of $150. plus ~$20 in gas. No way x would have been worth it. The only reason x paid so much is I had one $50+ surge ride.
I may drive a bit longer to some fares but would not have enough to sustain without it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I've had one surge ride since I started. I've had several $2.40 downtown trips and a few Altoona to Prairie Meadows trips. Pretty much just taking a few trips to stay on.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Trips have to be economicly viable for me to complete. I have a rule: I won't drive unpaid further then what the distance is that the passenger is going to pay me to take them to their destination. I am a independent contractor not an employee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bobper - how exactly are you figuring out how far the ride is going to be? About 1/5-1/4 of my fares never enter a destination.
Some drivers are calling the passenger before they pick them up to see where they are going. If it's a short fare, they cancel it.

You can't see the destination before you start the fare anyway, so I think calling them is the only way you could determine the distance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts