Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this topic has been covered before, feel free to delete this post and point me toward the old thread. But I have just spent about 15 mins searching and reading threads, but haven't found a definitive reason to dislike pool rides. Besides the pax being ummm, thrifty.

I don't know if it is different in different 'markets,' but I seem to be getting paid the same rates as far as the rate for time and the rate for distance, plus the minuscule amount paid for additional pickups. I have actually gone back and calculated what the last three pool rides I drove would have paid out if they were separate rides. I actually got paid more from them being combined as a pool. Mind you, it's only around $1.00 more, in addition to that additional pickup fee, and the difference is usually in the time paid calculation.

The calculations worked for pick up A, pick up B, drop off B, drop off A as well as pick up A, pick up B, drop off A, drop off B. I only had 1 pool ride with 3 pax, but they were all picked up with 1 block of each other, an Amazon location with two buildings, and they all got dropped off with 10 blocks of each other. The difference in pay was actually the additional pick up fee with $0.25 for the time difference(s).

I don't mind the pool rides. In fact I sometimes get a sadistic pleasure when the first rider asks if I have to pick up the additional rider, and I remind them they ordered a pool ride so I have to abide by the rules.

So, why don't you all like pool rides?

·
Registered
769 Posts
For me, it's not the money made - in fact, if I get Pool rides in the suburbs headed downtown, I tend to make more than I would have with various X rides, assuming I get more than one pax. I don't do this as a primary source of income, so how much I can make doesn't play as big of a role in whether I think a ride is worth it. It's just not worth the hassle.

Below is a screenshot of the last Pool I did - $58 in 70 minutes and 22 miles isn't bad. Most pax in general are fine. However, I've found that Pool pax, especially Express Pool pax, tend to be more demanding than my X or even Select pax. Pax don't like when you have to pick up other pax and dealing with splitting pax up and making some shift seats is just NOT worth it for me. Without fail, on days when I get a new four star, it was a Pool day. I haven't received any four stars since the day below.

Also, note that all three of these pax actually tipped me (pax 3 was a cancel), which is interesting.

Screenshot_20200309-060859.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,500 Posts
For me it’s the 2nd pool pax. Not my job to manage a pax who doesn’t know what pool means. Also, the 2nd pax pu is always a problem
And lastly, im no bus driver. I wanted that, I’d apply to be a bus driver. I’m sure they make more money.......

Reactions: GoldenGoji

·
Premium Member
26,817 Posts
It's all about average trip speed and low efficiency for drivers.
This is it. You waste more than a little time chasing down these additional customers and get only one extra dollar for your trouble. Uber/Lyft are charging them more and keeping most of it. Further, if there are two people in the POOL/Shared group, Uber/Lyft charges the customer extra and gives you nothing. You are working for a reduced time and mileage rate.

It becomes worth it, though, if you can shuffle. The ideal POOL trip is pick up one or two and shuffle two. If you can do that on a short or mediocre trip, the payoff is higher than a cab meter. If you can not see an opportunity to shuffle, do not accept POOL.

Lyft does not pay for subsequent no-shows on Shared, so you do not accept Shared.

Also, note that all three of these pax actually tipped me (pax 3 was a cancel), which is interesting.
One tip on a POOL is rare enough. You caught a real unicorn with three.

Not my job to manage a pax who doesn't know what pool means. Also, the 2nd pax pu is always a problem
Far too many of these POOL users are trying to hustle a limousine ride for less than the cost of the bus.

The second pick up far too often involves backtracking, looping around due to one way streets, customers that are not outside in places where you can not wait for them. You are not a shuffler, so you can not get that profit from them, but, shuffling opportunities are the only thing that get me to accept POOL.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Three tips from four pool riders is a minor miracle. What kind of services are you providing?
It was actually three tips from three riders - one was a no-show where I collected the fee. 🤣

I don't do anything for the pax other than drive and chat if they want. I think it was just my charming personality that got me the tips on that ride. 😉

·
Premium Member
10,845 Posts
It was actually three tips from three riders - one was a no-show where I collected the fee. 🤣

I don't do anything for the pax other than drive and chat if they want. I think it was just my charming personality that got me the tips on that ride. 😉
I'm sure your charming personality wasn't just an anomaly on that ride. 🤣

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
*The low rating you get because the pax is already late to be somewhere but is a moron & ordered a pool ride & now wants to take out their frustrations on you by b***ching at you and giving you a low rating.
*The last minute additions & changes to the route which make driving more dangerous.
*If one of the pax stinks, the driver gets a low rating even though we can’t control other people’s bad hygiene
*Pax may not get along, etc. again ultimately the driver gets the complaint/low rating

I do shared rides but ONLY when there’s a streak bonus or significant surge attached. This morning I did several shared because I was chasing a $25 streak bonus on Lyft. But for regular pay or a just 50 cents more... Nah! Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If this topic has been covered before, feel free to delete this post and point me toward the old thread. But I have just spent about 15 mins searching and reading threads, but haven't found a definitive reason to dislike pool rides. Besides the pax being ummm, thrifty.

I don't know if it is different in different 'markets,' but I seem to be getting paid the same rates as far as the rate for time and the rate for distance, plus the minuscule amount paid for additional pickups. I have actually gone back and calculated what the last three pool rides I drove would have paid out if they were separate rides. I actually got paid more from them being combined as a pool. Mind you, it's only around $1.00 more, in addition to that additional pickup fee, and the difference is usually in the time paid calculation.

The calculations worked for pick up A, pick up B, drop off B, drop off A as well as pick up A, pick up B, drop off A, drop off B. I only had 1 pool ride with 3 pax, but they were all picked up with 1 block of each other, an Amazon location with two buildings, and they all got dropped off with 10 blocks of each other. The difference in pay was actually the additional pick up fee with $0.25 for the time difference(s).

I don't mind the pool rides. In fact I sometimes get a sadistic pleasure when the first rider asks if I have to pick up the additional rider, and I remind them they ordered a pool ride so I have to abide by the rules.

So, why don't you all like pool rides?
Here's how to do pool , accept ride , pass pickup point and wave , go 100 yards past and make a u turn , drive past pool again and wave , at 2 mins cancel pax and move on. $3.78 and no ****ing headache , go ahead goodie goodies and tell me why that's so bad , I'm feeling salty and about to hit the road .

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm sure your charming personality wasn't just an anomaly on that ride. 🤣
True. 🤣 This particular ride, the riders seemed to get along and there was some banter between them, which I was included in. Maybe?

I get tipped probably somewhere between 30%-50% of the time and my tips for 2019 were, if I remember correctly, about 20% of my gross earnings (after Uber's cut). Some days I get tips on 100% of my rides, sometimes zero. It makes me wonder if it's not a coincidence, but Uber deciding what days it gives me app-tipping pax. No idea...

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I don’t hate pool. I just prefer X.

My problems with pool:
-Riders are usually dirtier.
-Riders are usually less careful.
-In Uber Pool Express, they expect you to drop them off at the location they want, instead of the location shown in the app. If you follow the app, you get 1 starred.
-Riders end up going to areas without pick up opportunities.
-Riders don’t tip (in X they don’t either, but there’s always hope, which in Pool there’s NO hope).

I only do that when there’s surge and it says “$4 pero extra pick up” or a number like that, or when in destination filter, going towards my destination.

·
Registered
911 Posts
While I don't put too much stock in ratings, I can tell you this. I stopped accepting Pool/Shared rides over 2 1/2 years ago. At that time my rating fluctuated between 4.89 and 4.91. Once I stopped, it started climbing to the point where it hasn't been under 4.97 in over 2 years. I am usually at 4.98 or 4.99.

This is a clear indicator to me that Pool/Shared pax are more demanding, even though they are spending less.

And I will tell you this. I sure as hell don't miss the sucking of the teeth when an additional rider is added on.

·
Registered
769 Posts
While I don't put too much stock in ratings, I can tell you this. I stopped accepting Pool/Shared rides over 2 1/2 years ago. At that time my rating fluctuated between 4.89 and 4.91. Once I stopped, it started climbing to the point where it hasn't been under 4.97 in over 2 years. I am usually at 4.98 or 4.99.

This is a clear indicator to me that Pool/Shared pax are more demanding, even though they are spending less.

And I will tell you this. I sure as hell don't miss the sucking of the teeth when an additional rider is added on.
Yep! There is always at least *one* Pool pax that is unhappy with the decision by Uber/Lyft who gets dropped off first, etc. Even though ratings don't really matter (at least not currently), it's kind of a p*ss off when someone paying half price of a standard ride expects limo service. 😳

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

They are in fact pieces of shit , all of the adults on this board know it

They all want something for nothing . So I give them nothing for something , I shuffle them every chance I get. Cheap people who treat others like shit deserve to eat shit and die , as they saying goes, I for one trie to feed em shit daily, please excuse the rhetoric as I'm in a particularly foul mood today.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.