Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I drove in core la area ,too much traffic, but i can say there are to many drivers and less enthusiastic passengers on the other side too .i had pax she knew all uber executives, i told her to tell them they better put thier moms in charge to run the company cause they will do definitely better job than these stupid how run this businesses.
Ahhhhh there it is! Core LA is crazy. NO WAY

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I was out Tue (noon - 6pm) to try and cash in on surge guarantee and after 6 hrs my payout, not counting guarantee, was $49 due to all short rides, excessive waiting for pings & no surge. I can tell you that current rates will not work no matter how desperate driver are for cash. Guber's goal is obviously to kill off Lyft, bite further into taxi share and even get the really cheap pax who take buses & trains and they will absorb these bonuses with the help of investor, safety fee, cash reserves etc for as long as they can. Something is gonna crack and I feel it will be a combination of rate increase & a milder version of driver incentive for the long term.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I dunno kf that's necessarily true. What I DO think is happening is Uber is tweaking its model.

From what it looks like, they are trying to create a drivers market for the short and long term. What I do see happening come summer, two things

(1) Like gas, rates will rise.
(2) Uber will be forced to back their drivers, because many will opt to not drive at all.

As we are seeing, the dialogue with drivers is slowly changing. I mean a centimeter, BUT it is a centimeter in the right direction.
I think its an illusion though..yes they are giving us higher rates for now...but they are flooding the streets with so many drivers that its still not a drivers market

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive yesterday but absolutely no reason to. At the normal rates we are giving rides away for free. Something's got to give. I don't believe there is an unlimited supply of stupid in this city. And what the hell is the point of a surge that lasts two minutes? The pax know to wait them out now. Either it's peak time and an increased fare or not. Time for a rethink on the surge front.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
CORE LA is so slammed right now....people are out there trying to cash in on the incentives.but with so many drivers all doing the same thing there are long wait times for pings during times of the day when it shouldnt be that many drivers out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive yesterday but absolutely no reason to. At the normal rates we are giving rides away for free. Something's got to give. I don't believe there is an unlimited supply of stupid in this city. And what the hell is the point of a surge that lasts two minutes? The pax know to wait them out now. Either it's peak time and an increased fare or not. Time for a rethink on the surge front.
Ohhhhh you have no idea

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think its an illusion though..yes they are giving us higher rates for now...but they are flooding the streets with so many drivers that its still not a drivers market
Yes, while I agree, IF YOU really look as soon as the incentives are over, WHAT HAPPENS to the heat map ( everyone raises hand )! What Uber has created either by design or purposely, is a market that truly is capitalistic at its core.

Either you drive before and take a few rides and land in the surge when it happens or after! Never during. So who wins? Uber or drivers. My coin on this one, is the SMART! DRIVERS, who ,understand how this really works.

As it says you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool some of the people all the time. Believe you me, math does NOT LIE! My earnings are at a high.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think eventually we will see the surge and the guarantee blend together into one pricing feature. At that point, they will have surge hours instead of the hourly guarantee. The surge has always been used as an incentive for drivers to control the time and places they drive without employing them, and the combination of these features into a single structure will make their system more predictable for riders and drivers. I doubt they will test it until they have exhausted other combinations of fare cuts and surge control tactics, however.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think eventually we will see the surge and the guarantee blend together into one pricing feature. At that point, they will have surge hours instead of the hourly guarantee. The surge has always been used as an incentive for drivers to control the time and places they drive without employing them, and the combination of these features into a single structure will make their system more predictable for riders and drivers. I doubt they will test it until they have exhausted other combinations of fare cuts and surge control tactics, however.
Indeed, which makes it a drivers market, because everyone will have a predicability which is AWESOME! RIGHT?!

·
Premium Member
23,927 Posts
They are burning through investor dollars like crazy in LA. It can't last. As soon as the incentives stop the non-surge driving will stop too. New drivers used to the free-flowing cash will bail. Uber needs to raise the rates or expect more surge-pricing fallout from pax. Travis painted himself in to a corner.
Bingo !!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wonder how many part timers have quit their regular jobs recently to make all this money ?

One thing I have learned about uber is that they always have another trick up their sleeve and you never know what shell the ball is under.
Many of us quit our jobs or delayed our job searches to drive for Uber early on, but there is less and less of that. I think Uber will be regarded in a similar way to Amway in the future. The public is becoming increasingly aware of the company's deception, and drivers will be waiters on wheels.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Getting ready to make a Starbucks run. Need a lift. Round trip 2 miles. PM me for time and location. Try not to be there too early though in case there is an emergency and it takes me a few minutes to leave my house.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts