Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Uber driving and noticed that I'm not really given a choice about accepting a ride. If a request comes in from someone with a 4.0 rating in a questionable neighborhood and I don't accept the ride, it still counts against my percent acceptance. So what exactly is the point of a passenger rating when the drivers are not given a real choice to decline a ride without impacting their metrics?

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
There are many here that will say ignore your AR rate. Unless you are going for the 'pro' statuses, the AR is kinda meaningless.

As to pax ratings, to me, they are useless as well. I ignore them completely. They are ratings from other drivers I don't even know; why would i trust them? This puts me on a island by myself as most here obsess about pax ratings.

In your case best to focus on the pu address vs the pax rating. And as a new 'ant' best to take most pings so as to reduce your learning curve and help you produce what you will and won't accept.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Most drivers rely on passenger ratings because it plays a major factor in whether to accept or decline a ride. Not knowing the people leaving the rating is irrelevant to most drivers.

The same applies to driver's ratings. We know that some people will leave a low rating for the silliest of reasons. Therefore, If a driver can still maintain a 4.9 after transporting Tom, Dick, and Harry on a daily basis you can assume he or she is a decent driver.

If a passenger has a 4.1 rating you can best believe they are doing something negative to earn it. Be very careful who you take advice from these days. Follow the science.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I'm new to Uber driving and noticed that I'm not really given a choice about accepting a ride. If a request comes in from someone with a 4.0 rating in a questionable neighborhood and I don't accept the ride, it still counts against my percent acceptance. So what exactly is the point of a passenger rating when the drivers are not given a real choice to decline a ride without impacting their metrics?
You've fallen victim to the Uber's gamification on the app. Uber Pro is a complete BS program geared toward controlling the driver. To maintain the gold/platinum/ diamond status you need to maintain 85% AR. But what is the point of being given destination info, when you cannot refuse more than 1 out of 10 trips that are too short or going to a destination that you don' t want to.

Pax ratings are very important. i avoid pax with rating less than 4.6. This has served me well.

·
Premium Member
10,697 Posts
Ignore all ratings BS unless it is very low, ie. less than 4.2. Focus instead on whom is coming out of which door. 80% of my fares come out of the same 20 doors.

As to all low ratings being a sign of bad behavior by passengers, Any one who Takes Goober in India or most foreign cities will always have a low rating as drivers there only give 1 stars.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
You've fallen victim to the Uber's gamification on the app. Uber Pro is a complete BS program geared toward controlling the driver. To maintain the gold/platinum/ diamond status you need to maintain 85% AR. But what is the point of being given destination info, when you cannot refuse more than 1 out of 10 trips that are too short or going to a destination that you don' t want to.

Pax ratings are very important. i avoid pax with rating less than 4.6. This has served me well.
A 4.6 rating is usually an idicator of who will sit in your back seat. The tri-fecta is when you accept a low rating pax and they start with the text demanding shit. Then it's tme to jettison that ride with empunity!
It's worth every ratings risk just to avoid those annoying bastards.
Besides, with all the brand new shinny ants we'll see on the road...let them have'um.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
For me, a customer from a bad part of town with a low rating means that it will most likely be a shitty short trip, so I usually decline it. If they're at a hotel, I pick them up because it's 50/50 that they're going to the airport.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
There are many here that will say ignore your AR rate. Unless you are going for the 'pro' statuses, the AR is kinda meaningless.

As to pax ratings, to me, they are useless as well. I ignore them completely. They are ratings from other drivers I don't even know; why would i trust them? This puts me on a island by myself as most here obsess about pax ratings.

In your case best to focus on the pu address vs the pax rating. And as a new 'ant' best to take most pings so as to reduce your learning curve and help you produce what you will and won't accept.

Welcome to the forum.
Good advice

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
the sooner you figure out that you work for yourself and not uber the more $’s you will make....do not get caught up in badges, uber pro, and any other gimmicks.... your acceptance rate means nothing.... during the day riders ratings don’t mean a whole lot other than a 5.0 or close “may” tip... if you are driving at nite ratings become much more important..
the quickest thing to learn is to set a maximum time/distance that you will tolerate to pickup
a rider....this can vary by market....

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Most drivers rely on passenger ratings because it plays a major factor
most or a tiny few? For certain not a 'major factor'. Unless one knows every single driver who handed out a low rating, that is. Can't claim that, so follow common sense instead.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Most drivers rely on passenger ratings because it plays a major factor in whether to accept or decline a ride. Not knowing the people leaving the rating is irrelevant to most drivers.

The same applies to driver's ratings. We know that some people will leave a low rating for the silliest of reasons. Therefore, If a driver can still maintain a 4.9 after transporting Tom, Dick, and Harry on a daily basis you can assume he or she is a decent driver.

If a passenger has a 4.1 rating you can best believe they are doing something negative to earn it. Be very careful who you take advice from these days. Follow the science.
Yes. Ignore Shale-huckster. He only picks up disabled kids and takes them to school on a contract, and is disgruntled this work has been terrible in California for the past year.

Drivers rate pax less than 5 for good reasons. Uneventful, prompt, and quiet rides get a 5 from the driver every time, because this is easiest way to clear the screen and wait for next ride.

Pax have to really do something to piss off drivers enough to want to spend the extra time to rate less than a 5. And when a pax does this enough times to get a rating under 4.9, it means they earned it by being a shithead pax. It's a BRIGHT RED WARNING SIGN to other drivers that such-and-such pax is a turd, and you should only carry them at your own peril.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
He only picks up disabled kids and takes them to school on a contract
I see the peanut gallery is active today. For tone, balance and accuracy: Yup, my 2nd gig is only minors and many of them are on spectrum. Your shame level should be high, right about now, right? Yes, they are scheduled, in advance. But no contract. No contract with Uber either. It's an agreement they can change at any time; learn the difference.

Drivers rate lower when they are in a bad mood. If they will there will be no tip. They down grade for short trips. They down rate just because they are butthurt. Yup, pax ratings are quite useless. And really, a tiny percent might use them as a 'major' reason in the few seconds one has to make a decision.

You seem very disgruntled today. Unlike you, I'm not one of the 'disgruntled - I am going to complain non-stop peanut gallery'.

don't confuse your opinion as the only one available. Let the DS make their own decision, k?

Now run along and pretend to be a chief of anything. <purple guy eye roll>

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I see the peanut gallery is active today. For tone, balance and accuracy: Yup, my 2nd gig is only minors and many of them are on spectrum. Your shame level should be high, right about now, right? Yes, they are scheduled, in advance. But no contract. No contract with Uber either. It's an agreement they can change at any time; learn the difference.

Drivers rate lower when they are in a bad mood. If they will there will be no tip. They down grade for short trips. They down rate just because they are butthurt. Yup, pax ratings are quite useless. And really, a tiny percent might use them as a 'major' reason in the few seconds one has to make a decision.

You seem very disgruntled today. Unlike you, I'm not one of the 'disgruntled - I am going to complain non-stop peanut gallery'.

don't confuse your opinion as the only one available. Let the DS make their own decision, k?

Now run along and pretend to be a chief of anything. <purple guy eye roll>
14 thousand posts in 2 years.

Let me guess: your 1st gig is posting here?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
For me, a customer from a bad part of town with a low rating means that it will most likely be a shitty short trip, so I usually decline it. If they're at a hotel, I pick them up because it's 50/50 that they're going to the airport.
Never had a shitty short trip from a nasty upper crust neighborhood? I have.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Never had a shitty short trip from a nasty upper crust neighborhood? I have.
The upper crust neighborhoods are to far and spread out in my city, therefore I just don't work them. I only pick up in areas where I know there will be consistent movement, which are usually business districts.
And yes, I have, but they're far and few in between compared to the constant shit trips I was stupid enough to take from the ghetto going to family dollar half a mile down the road, or to the wig and make up shop across the street.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
The upper crust neighborhoods are to far and spread out in my city, therefore I just don't work them. I only pick up in areas where I know there will be consistent movement, which are usually business districts.
And yes, I have, but they're far and few in between compared to the constant shit trips I was stupid enough to take from the ghetto going to family dollar half a mile down the road, or to the wig and make up shop across the street.
Sound like you're trapped in your driving hell.
Is that the best you can do?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Its been rare when a paxil rated 4.5 or less was good decent paxil to drive around. Sure there are exceptions and outliers but in my experience the majority have that rating for a reason. You dont want a human hand grenade going off in your back seat and just look at some of the videos, stories of drivers getting assualted yelled at bitten etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts