Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
XL request came in at 2:40am from a late night food joint in Ft Worth. Pax texts if 9 is okay? Reply back with 7 max in my vehicle and they still insist. WTF! XL is listed as 6, so they wanted 3 extras! I can put my extra middle seat in to hold 7 and surprisingly have to do this more often then I would expect to.

So after going offline to avoid their re-ping, I decided to go down the street and see if they succeed with this plan. Sure enough an SUV pulls up and I'm assuming all 9 went in as there wasn't any delay in loading pax. Don't know of a vehicle with this much capacity. I saw it from the next parking lot over.

I think a driver this stupid, if indeed they took 9, and should be deactivated. That's several uninsured riders. All for a short ride. I never take a squeeze in passenger. I'm very firm with that.

So what's the most you've been asked to take?

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wonder if X drivers on this forum contact support to upgrade trip to XL if they take 5 in their vehicle. This is for X only drivers.

I'm sure XL drivers are good with contacting support when a cheap pax goes X with 5+ riders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was going to say, I thought I passed by you but this was way before 240. I passed by a group of people in the Stockyard area (across the street from the Cadillac) trying to fit at least 8 people into a mazda suv type car. VERY tight fit. I don't think they did it. The most I have had was 8 but they all fit no problem because a few of the ladies were twigs.

From my understanding, X is up to 4 and XL is up to 6. I haven't contacted them to let them know of extra ONLY because it is not suppose to go over 6. 1 up front, 3 behind driver and 2 in the third row

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
If you get more than 4 in a x support will NOT adjust to XL if your vehicle is not on the XL platform.

I never take more than 6 period. XL states MAX 6 people..if you have more uber will deactivate if you have an accident.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Uber doesn't care if you take more, as long as you don't get in an accident, or get a ticket.

If that happens, and you're riding dirty, you're probably going to be terminated, which begs the question: Was the juice worth the "squeeze?"

As a rule, I cancel anyone that asks me to carry more than 4. If they attempt to argue or bargain, cancel. Let some other sucker deal with them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm guilty. took 9 from TCU to Dallas Uptown on a small surge XL last fall, just shy of 40 miles. First and last time I'd take that many. I take 7 all the time.

And I have become a pro at that after-ride upgrade from X to XL when you thought you were being slick an adding that 5th person on the trip. My favorite is at bar closing (the only surge these days) and they order an X, I roll up and the sorority girl says "It's so big," (guys love to hear that). "Let's take everyone." So I'll pack 6 or 7 in and upgrade her surged X to a surged XL.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I have become a pro at that after-ride upgrade from X to XL when you thought you were being slick an adding that 5th person on the trip. My favorite is at bar closing (the only surge these days) and they order an X, I roll up and the sorority girl says "It's so big," (guys love to hear that). "Let's take everyone." So I'll pack 6 or 7 in and upgrade her surged X to a surged XL.
I agree! That's my favorite ride too! Just compensation that makes up for all the X rides folks get in our XL vehicle, ha ha. Other times it's nice that I can arrive and they have the option to take a larger party and I get the higher rate if it's not surge.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I take 7 all the time.
After researching in the past, I haven't found it specifically written in Uber's policy, but some rideshare sites mention 5-7 passengers for XL. If everyone has a seat belt, then everyone's safe and that's the main thing. Taking 7 (if vehicle has seat belts for everyone) certainly sweetens the rider experience so feel Uber is good with that.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Company rules mean nothing. State laws apply here.

It won't matter to your friendly neighborhood police officer WHY you have nine folks in a vehicle made for six.

No matter taxi or TNC, overloading screws another driver out of a fare. So, there's that, too.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
XL request came in at 2:40am from a late night food joint in Ft Worth. Pax texts if 9 is okay? Reply back with 7 max in my vehicle and they still insist. WTF! XL is listed as 6, so they wanted 3 extras! I can put my extra middle seat in to hold 7 and surprisingly have to do this more often then I would expect to.

So after going offline to avoid their re-ping, I decided to go down the street and see if they succeed with this plan. Sure enough an SUV pulls up and I'm assuming all 9 went in as there wasn't any delay in loading pax. Don't know of a vehicle with this much capacity. I saw it from the next parking lot over.

I think a driver this stupid, if indeed they took 9, and should be deactivated. That's several uninsured riders. All for a short ride. I never take a squeeze in passenger. I'm very firm with that.

So what's the most you've been asked to take?
+1 miniature chick / didn't notice / wouldn't have allowed

Missed it because I was kicking out another dude that tried to cram in the other side

Frikin pax said they didn't even know him???? Which I guess is why I let the attempt slide...

Added that place to my no-go list after

·
Registered
111 Posts
Uber insurance only covers you for the max passengers. Do you really want to take scrubers risk for the peanuts they pay?

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I'm guilty. took 9 from TCU to Dallas Uptown on a small surge XL last fall, just shy of 40 miles. First and last time I'd take that many. I take 7 all the time.

You got it in one. That's why I chose two bench seats rather than the captains chairs or the smaller cars with only two seats in the third row. It used to happen at least once a week to me request x but require xl. Has not happened for over a month now. I have also done it for exces baggage. If there are 4 and I use up the 3rd row for bags then it's xl. I always verify before I start the trip. When an xl request comes in I always ask before I unlock the doors. 7 max no exceptions. Do you have to show people how to get in to the third row?. I do almost every time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been lucky to report any number 7 to support and they'll sometimes pay me UberSUV fee. It's a hit a miss, but definately worth reporting when take an XL request for what should have been a SUV request. Although my third is made for two, sometimes it can fit 3.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been lucky to report any number 7 to support and they'll sometimes pay me UberSUV fee. It's a hit a miss, but definately worth reporting when take an XL request for what should have been a SUV request. Although my third is made for two, sometimes it can fit 3.
I may have to try that...

·
Registered
369 Posts
What make u think uberSUV can take 7, by law and through our commercial insurance we r only allowed to carry 6. I understand that some bigger SUV's like a Suburban which I drive can carry 7 passengers but I am only insured for 6+myself. If u tell your commercial insurance company that you carry 7 then your rates will be crazy high. U won't believe how much 1 person can make of a difference

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might get deactivated for not following uber policy :)
Not disputing your statement. However, when you contact support on multiple trips to say 7 people rode on an X trip, and support replies back with the "I've changed your fare to reflect XL rates" without saying anything about more than 6 passengers being forbidden, I think that has Uber on the hook.

I've never seen it stated as 6 only for insurance, but I do know that confirmation from support for a 7 person XL ride over and over is enough to assure me that I'm covered. They are responsible for providing incorrect information if that were the case.

I'd rather have 6 as then I don't have to pull out my extra seat to install it real quick in the middle row. Fare is the same either way. So I'm with you :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I let one passenger extra ride in my car last night, short trip anyway, but it was the 5 smokin' hot girls, that got the best of my logic.....lol.

Normally anything over the number of seatbelts is out of the question.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What is the logic behind 6 passengers in xl/suv? I drive xl too and whenever I c 7 i straight out say not under Ub policy..is any levy/state law v can get in print to prove ourselves?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is the logic behind 6 passengers in xl/suv? I drive xl too and whenever I c 7 i straight out say not under Ub policy..is any levy/state law v can get in print to prove ourselves?
Will need to contact support to get an answer to file away. The passenger app says "6" which is he minimum for XL. Waybill says "6" but I believe that's just a default number. When I signed up I stated 7 passengers. I also have had several X rides upgraded to XL that had 7 passengers. So support doesn't mention too many people and I'm good with that as documentation too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts