Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biggest problems with both platforms currently is "too many drivers." With Uber this doesn't bother me as much. If I want fares, I can go hunt, as pings typically go to the closest driver. Fares go to personal hustle.

But with Lyft's system it doesn't work this way. They circulate the fares among the driver pool. This was actually NICE when the driver pool was thin, but now with literally 200-300% or more drivers it's almost a waste of time to have the app on. My fare numbers with Lyft used to run about equal to Uber's prior, and either platform worked nicely, but Lyft's tip feature made it the easy choice over Uber. Numbers of fares per hour were about equal, which for me usually ran or runs in the 2-2.5 range per hour avg. and has to to make it worth getting off the couch. But with the excess driver pool it's now not even remotely close to that now. Ridiculously low and slow. Almost an annoyance. I've been down to less than 1 fare an hour, which just doesn't work. Waste of time. And this has reduced the number of Lyft fares to all drivers as well. Another annoyance is even though there are plenty of drivers, they'll still long distance ping drivers in the pool, even if there are much closer drivers. Another annoyance of their system.

They should switch their platform over to a 'closest only' arrangement and let all drivers hunt fares on their own. They should also eliminate their other annoying feature which won't match you up with the same pax once you've driven them. This is a problem as well. Particularly if you do a long one way and you know that pax is going back and you decide to work the area and maybe catch them on the return. You won't with Lyft. Even if you're the only driver in the area.

Their system is starting to SUCK bigtime because of the way it's set up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You understand why they won't do that, though, right? If they did that, the system would be like the taxi system. All the drivers would go to the hot spots, and none would go to unlikely places. Then passengers in those places would stop using the system. Then Lyft would be limited to a system that only people in hot spots used. And then the competition would really be bad.

Yes, I've had a couple of instances of having 1 fare or 2 fares in an hour. That tells me it's time to take a break, because 90 minutes later it will be fine.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You understand why they won't do that, though, right? If they did that, the system would be like the taxi system. All the drivers would go to the hot spots, and none would go to unlikely places. Then passengers in those places would stop using the system. Then Lyft would be limited to a system that only people in hot spots used. And then the competition would really be bad.

Yes, I've had a couple of instances of having 1 fare or 2 fares in an hour. That tells me it's time to take a break, because 90 minutes later it will be fine.
Drivers are generally random. If they hunt in only hot spots and get little to nothing, they tend to spread out. It forces the driver to find business.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
The biggest problems with both platforms currently is "too many drivers." With Uber this doesn't bother me as much. If I want fares, I can go hunt, as pings typically go to the closest driver. Fares go to personal hustle.

But with Lyft's system it doesn't work this way. They circulate the fares among the driver pool. This was actually NICE when the driver pool was thin, but now with literally 200-300% or more drivers it's almost a waste of time to have the app on. My fare numbers with Lyft used to run about equal to Uber's prior, and either platform worked nicely, but Lyft's tip feature made it the easy choice over Uber. Numbers of fares per hour were about equal, which for me usually ran or runs in the 2-2.5 range per hour avg. and has to to make it worth getting off the couch. But with the excess driver pool it's now not even remotely close to that now. Ridiculously low and slow. Almost an annoyance. I've been down to less than 1 fare an hour, which just doesn't work. Waste of time. And this has reduced the number of Lyft fares to all drivers as well. Another annoyance is even though there are plenty of drivers, they'll still long distance ping drivers in the pool, even if there are much closer drivers. Another annoyance of their system.

They should switch their platform over to a 'closest only' arrangement and let all drivers hunt fares on their own. They should also eliminate their other annoying feature which won't match you up with the same pax once you've driven them. This is a problem as well. Particularly if you do a long one way and you know that pax is going back and you decide to work the area and maybe catch them on the return. You won't with Lyft. Even if you're the only driver in the area.

Their system is starting to SUCK bigtime because of the way it's set up.
Ecoregion Map Light Slope Line
This is what bothers me about Lyft far away request

·
Registered
199 Posts
36 minutes away, yeah, that's pretty bad. But I imagine things are different in a place like Dallas than San Francisco (or even San Diego). My calls in San Francisco are almost never 10 minutes away, and usually 3 or 4.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
10-15 miles to pickup requests are quite common. PASS. Call pax. Request they cancel. Half of them will cancel when they see the call come in because they are used to it, and not even answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive noticed the fare request have gone down a lot in the last month, maybe its the time of year? I dont know i wasent driving this time last year.

Im lucky to get a fare a hour. @ months ago it was one after another. When I goto PAX mode there are drivers everywhere now. Lyft has had so many ads on radio, craigslist, everywhere hiring drivers. They are at a point where its too saturated. Good for beer money now.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lyft pings the nearest driver just like Uber. How in the hell would it work any other way. You can also end a ride and pick up the same person again.
Nope and Nope, particularly on the last count. Tested both aspects above many times.

Reactions: The-one-89
1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.