Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was waiting for surge in the morning on last Thursday; I thought to do an experiment. I requested an Uber at 7.50am while I was in St Kilda. App was showing driver 8 min away before I requested Uber. 1st driver assigned to me was in CBD 13 mins away. He called me straight away. I ignored his call. Then he cancelled on me. 2nd driver was automatically assigned to me. 2nd driver was in Caulfield approximately 15 mins away. He cancelled on me after 1 min. Now without requesting a new ride, Uber assigned me a 3rd new driver who was in Docklands 15 mins away. I was thinking that he will also cancel on me. He didn't. In fact he started driving towards me. I waited for like 3 minutes so he could cancel on me. I was thinking who in the right mind will travel from Docklands to St Kilda at 8am in the morning. But he kept approaching towards me. I had to cancel this ride myself otherwise I could be charged $10 for cancelling after 5 minutes. If the driver who was going to pick me is in this forum, I apologize for wasting his time. I was just checking what passengers go through when they request Uber in Peak times when driver are waiting for Surge.

So my small experiments proves that there are still Uber partners who accept jobs 15 mins away and actually try to complete the job. I salute them really. They are the reason, Uber is flourishing.

2nd conclusion is that, majority of drivers are wise enough to either ignore the long non surge pings in the morning or ACRO it.

3rd conclusion is; it's really difficult for passengers to get an Uber during peak times in high demand areas. They either have to wait long for their Uber to come to pick them up or they have to accept surge pricing.

Why don't you guys also try this when you are offline and waiting for Surge and report back your observations in this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
The driver who accepted the job prolly drunk koolaid.

Uber says accept all jobs to make $$$

Yep - even drive 20 min for a base fare.

Idiots everywhere. They learn soon enough.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Yeah I do this at times for fun

Drivers do accept 20 min pings or even 30

Saw a fool in a $75000 Ford Everest Ubering last night

So so stupid

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Do we have anything better these days to do than to play with ourselves?
Hope uber increase the fare soon.
history indicates they wont, but look forward to the winter warmer rate reduction next winter. Lower rates mean more rides which equals more money for partners

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uber wants to kill the surge and the rider get very bad experience
A passenger told me yesterday that he requested an Uber. Driver was 6 mins away. After 5 minutes driver cancelled the job and rider was charged $10. Driver was not even near pickup. After that when he tried to request Uber again, surge was 1.8. I picked him up at 1.8 surge.

Same passenger told me that once he requested UberX for short trip. Driver was not happy and was grumpy for short fare. At the end of ride, driver asked "Are you going to give me 5 stars???? """" Lol who are these drivers who have balls to ask for 5 stars after giving such service

·
Registered
433 Posts
" Lol who are these drivers who have balls to ask for 5 stars after giving such service
They are salesmen, remember those door knocking people trying to convince you, change your power company.
Even their BALLs on solar power, 7kw :confused:

Migrant Pax was telling me how his mates a manager at Aldi, clears 700- 800 on the weekends and another 3-4 international student mates also working as salesman for electricity company enjoy talking pax 2 days a week as their Aldi mate supply them discounted water to give it to pax because their driving was terrible.

Do loober sign up overseas students?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
A passenger told me yesterday that he requested an Uber. Driver was 6 mins away. After 5 minutes driver cancelled the job and rider was charged $10. Driver was not even near pickup
Not possible... This fee is AUTOMATIC and has very CLEAR rules and guidelines on how its paid out.

The only way for a driver to cancel AND get the $10 payout, is to cancel with no show, and to do that, they have to at LEAST driven past the 'pickup' point to start the clock.

Once the user complains to uber, uber will look at the GPS logs and see driver was no where near the pickup point for the entire time and will refund the fee and take $10 off the driver!

Same passenger told me that once he requested UberX for short trip. Driver was not happy and was grumpy for short fare. At the end of ride, driver asked "Are you going to give me 5 stars???? """" Lol who are these drivers who have balls to ask for 5 stars after giving such service
Starting to wonder if its a pax issue ;)

But yes, some drivers beg, with signs, tip jars and or just asking. I myself never beg, my service is good and if I pax ever raised or even jokes about a 'low' rating, I cut them off with a I'm happy for you to rate as you feel. At the end of the day, they are going to. So not begging.

Ex cabbies.
taxi 2.0!

as their Aldi mate supply them discounted water to give it to pax because their driving was terrible.
Aldi water is already cheap, so unless its 'free' there isn't much of a saving. They would be better to get friends with someone at the servo for cheap fuel ;)

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
I am an overseas student... I can say Goober doesn't really care. No visa checks no nothing. I used to do just weekends, but now while waiting for my thesis to be examined am doing it more frequently. Don't worry though, I do almost exclusively Eats. Don't want to deal with pax most of the time.

Lots of overseas students also signed up to be Fuber Eats bike flies - Ooba no care!

They are salesmen, remember those door knocking people trying to convince you, change your power company.
Even their BALLs on solar power, 7kw :confused:

Migrant Pax was telling me how his mates a manager at Aldi, clears 700- 800 on the weekends and another 3-4 international student mates also working as salesman for electricity company enjoy talking pax 2 days a week as their Aldi mate supply them discounted water to give it to pax because their driving was terrible.

Do loober sign up overseas students?

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I am an overseas student... I can say Goober doesn't really care. No visa checks no nothing. I used to do just weekends, but now while waiting for my thesis to be examined am doing it more frequently. Don't worry though, I do almost exclusively Eats. Don't want to deal with pax most of the time.

Lots of overseas students also signed up to be Fuber Eats bike flies - Ooba no care!
Since when Uber care about laws and legislation ?
Visa lol Uber wants your 25% your visa is your problem go to catch them in the address on the receipt... Ahh no address show :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't worry though, I do almost exclusively Eats.
No no, I didn't mean in that way, but bit surprised as how they regulate 20 hours per week for inter students.
I think we should stop criticising loober for recruiting more drivers, because why would someone on student visa look for low paid jobs and the whole getting to work and stuff.... when they can have flexibility to start and finish, own the car and get paid near enough as doing Mecca or similar jobs while studying.
Good on you mate. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Oh, I'm of the postgrad visa kind, unlimited working hours allowed ;)

Most international students who come here are either 1) rich, the "my dad decided to get me a Mercedes" type, so they don't bother about driving for money; or 2) don't bother about buying a car and usually take tram/train/bus/Uber at base rates (that was me in the past 3 years); or 3) can't afford a car, buy a bike and go work part time in a restaurant for extra cash, may end up now working Eats as a biker fly (I call them flies because they don't appear on the pax app).

Most drivers I have seen/taken rides with are usually middle aged white men (used Uber mainly when it started up because of all those signup and referral credits, almost never actually paid for a single trip at all!), with the occasional woman (have had a trip with a lady driver before).

But nowadays while doing Eats, there are some times that I wait at a popular restaurant for an order and I see lots of drivers popping in of a certain type of ethnicity and most definitely driving the same type of Toyota :D And on the street outside I see so many more Toyotas and drivers of the same ethnicity making illegal U turns and stopping randomly to pick up/dropoff pax, terrible. joffie LevelX

Of course, I've been back to that restaurant frequently enough that the staff consider me one of their favourite drivers :D Unfortunately I haven't conned my way to a free lunch or dinner on the house yet!

No no, I didn't mean in that way, but bit surprised as how they regulate 20 hours per week for inter students.
I think we should stop criticising loober for recruiting more drivers, because why would someone on student visa look for low paid jobs and the whole getting to work and stuff.... when they can have flexibility to start and finish, own the car and get paid near enough as doing Mecca or similar jobs while studying.
Good on you mate. Lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts