Uber Drivers Forum banner
181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,526 Posts
I agree with this 100%. After just three months I recently quit my job - the company had a culture of treating its employees with such arrogance, disrespect, contempt and apathy that remaining there would be impossible for anyone with a shred of dignity. These problems were pervasive, with this toxic culture in evidence from the lowest supervisor up to the top-level management.

In my experience, and as the article says, it is very difficult for companies with a toxic culture to even recognise there is an issue, let alone fix it. But they are the ones who lose out, and they lose out heavily. I estimated it cost the company at least $15,000 to train me, and they got nothing in return for that outlay with my exit due to their dysfunctionality.

It's strange how companies will invest billions and millions in technology, facilities, executives etc etc, yet for all their MBAs from Ivy League universities, they overlook spending just the small amount required to provide the human element of treating people like human beings, and have those people stay. I find it very bizarre.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Rich coming from a Trump supporter . More likely you have enjoyed all the privileges but of course, in your mind, you deserved what you got and others don’t . You maybe another rocket scientist geniuses that drive rideshare for fun.
Explain to us, oh great Nobel Economist:

Maverik Corner stores, hiring cashiers, $18/hr to start, 13% shift differential for afternoons, 18% shift differential for overnight, immediately hiring 20 employees for a new store set to open Sept. 15th, $2,500 sign-on, full benefits, zero applicants at a three different hiring fairs recently

Fedex Ground, Denver, Co., currently hiring 60 overnight warehouse workers, $22/hr to start, $24/hr after 60 days, quarterly raises thereafter, $5,000 sign-on bonus 1/2 at hire 1/2 at 60 days, 18% shift differential, full benefits from day one, 40 hour workweek. They had a hiring fair this past Friday, they had 32 applicants. What do you propose should be the appropriate wage that would draw the unemployed out?

Old Dominion Freight had a hiring fair on the 9th, CDL, non-CDL and warehouse positions available. Warehouse starts at $19/hr with better than union benefits from day one, 40hr workweek, 15% shift differential for 2nd shift, 12 open positions. Non-cdl driving positions, starting salary is $25/hr, better than union benefits day one, 40 hr workweek, OT after 40 paid at time and a half, 16 open positions, CDL drivers, $28/hr to start ($28 is the minimum, Drivers with 10 yrs exp. were being offered $35/hr), $10K sign-on, minimum 40 hr workweek, better than union benefits, 20 open positions. For all these open positions, they had a total of 40 applicants.

USPS line-haul relay driver, 3x14 workweek, gov't benefits, CDL required, $38/hr to start, 40 open positions ahead of the holidays, hiring began 8/28, they have had zero applicants. In years past, this job started at $27/hr to $34/hr

If it's about the money, where are the applicants, why are they not flocking to these open jobs, or is it about laziness?

·
Super Moderator
15,919 Posts
I agree with this 100%. After just three months I recently quit my job - the company had a culture of treating its employees with such arrogance, disrespect, contempt and apathy that remaining there would be impossible for anyone with a shred of dignity. These problems were pervasive, with this toxic culture in evidence from the lowest supervisor up to the top-level management.

In my experience, and as the article says, it is very difficult for companies with a toxic culture to even recognise there is an issue, let alone fix it. But they are the ones who lose out, and they lose out heavily. I estimated it cost the company at least $15,000 to train me, and they got nothing in return for that outlay with my exit due to their dysfunctionality.

It's strange how companies will invest billions and millions in technology, facilities, executives etc etc, yet for all their MBAs from Ivy League universities, they overlook spending just the small amount required to provide the human element of treating people like human beings, and have those people stay. I find it very bizarre.
When the company I worked at (a small, regional, family owned and run company) was bought out by a Fortune 500 company years ago, I was laid off.

I knew the company was up for sale two years before it was sold. Once I knew who the buyers were I researched them and realized my time at this company would not last long, so I prepared. I started my new job the day after I was laid off.

I made a conscious decision to never work for a big corporation again.

I've had offers to work at competitors or other big companies but I've passed on those offers. I like working at places where I can deal directly with the owner.

BTW, guess who is suffering with filling management positions right now, and big time.

The old owners cultivated a feeling of belonging.

The new owners cultivated a feeling of you're expendable.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts

Maverik Corner stores, hiring cashiers, $18/hr to start, 13% shift differential for afternoons, 18% shift differential for overnight, immediately hiring 20 employees for a new store set to open Sept. 15th, $2,500 sign-on, full benefits, zero applicants at a three different hiring fairs recently

Fedex Ground, Denver, Co., currently hiring 60 overnight warehouse workers, $22/hr to start, $24/hr after 60 days, quarterly raises thereafter, $5,000 sign-on bonus 1/2 at hire 1/2 at 60 days, 18% shift differential, full benefits from day one, 40 hour workweek. They had a hiring fair this past Friday, they had 32 applicants. What do you propose should be the appropriate wage that would draw the unemployed out?

Old Dominion Freight had a hiring fair on the 9th, CDL, non-CDL and warehouse positions available. Warehouse starts at $19/hr with better than union benefits from day one, 40hr workweek, 15% shift differential for 2nd shift, 12 open positions. Non-cdl driving positions, starting salary is $25/hr, better than union benefits day one, 40 hr workweek, OT after 40 paid at time and a half, 16 open positions, CDL drivers, $28/hr to start ($28 is the minimum, Drivers with 10 yrs exp. were being offered $35/hr), $10K sign-on, minimum 40 hr workweek, better than union benefits, 20 open positions. For all these open positions, they had a total of 40 applicants.

USPS line-haul relay driver, 3x14 workweek, gov't benefits, CDL required, $38/hr to start, 40 open positions ahead of the holidays, hiring began 8/28, they have had zero applicants. In years past, this job started at $27/hr to $34/hr

If it's about the money, where are the applicants, why are they not flocking to these open jobs, or is it about laziness?

Its not just about the money.. read the article

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Its not just about the money.. read the article
If you've been unemployed for the last 16 months, and you are not bothering to put in applications, then the "article" is moot. Now, if we were back at full employment, and people were changing jobs in droves, that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
12,151 Posts
But then ...
fast forward to Jean Ocelot standing in the WalMart store looking at a new pair of kicks. "Wow, these damn shoes are expensive. Last year I bought a pair for $20 less." So, Jean doesn't buy new kicks.
Next day Jean is in the bosses office. Jean works on a process line, packaging food to be shipped all over the country. "Hey boss. I can't afford a new pair of shoes. I need shoes. You don't pay me enough. I need a raise or I gotta go job hunting." Well, Jean's a great employee so the boss bites the bullet and gives the bump. Well, it gets discovered by the other employees ... and, guess what. They ALL get raises. Thanks Jean!
So now, the food company has to raise prices. And one day Ms. UberBastid goes to buy a small chicken. "Holey crap. This stuff is expensive." So, She does not buy the chicken.
Instead she's in her boss's office the next day. "Hey boss, you don't pay me enough ...."

But, that's not inflation ... right?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
But then ...
fast forward to Jean Ocelot standing in the WalMart store looking at a new pair of kicks. "Wow, these damn shoes are expensive. Last year I bought a pair for $20 less." So, Jean doesn't buy new kicks.
Next day Jean is in the bosses office. Jean works on a process line, packaging food to be shipped all over the country. "Hey boss. I can't afford a new pair of shoes. I need shoes. You don't pay me enough. I need a raise or I gotta go job hunting." Well, Jean's a great employee so the boss bites the bullet and gives the bump. Well, it gets discovered by the other employees ... and, guess what. They ALL get raises. Thanks Jean!
So now, the food company has to raise prices. And one day Ms. UberBastid goes to buy a small chicken. "Holey crap. This stuff is expensive." So, She does not buy the chicken.
Instead she's in her boss's office the next day. "Hey boss, you don't pay me enough ...."

But, that's not inflation ... right?
And everybody forgets about all the other factors involved in getting those kicks or that chicken to market, and how those initial inflated wages, will drive up all the inflated costs, which will again drive up inflated ages

·
Premium Member
12,151 Posts
And everybody forgets about all the other factors involved in getting those kicks or that chicken to market, and how those initial inflated wages, will drive up all the inflated costs, which will again drive up inflated ages
There's too many people out there that have never lived in a hyper-inflationary period. And us old people are just too stupid to listen to. And, most people can't or won't read a book or learn anything as 'useless' as macro-economics.
But, they'll learn.
Unfortunately, the hard way.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
There's too many people out there that have never lived in a hyper-inflationary period. And us old people are just too stupid to listen to. And, most people can't or won't read a book or learn anything as 'useless' as macro-economics.
But, they'll learn.
Unfortunately, the hard way.

As one old guy to another, You havent lived in a hyperinflation period either.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·

I remember a programming gig I had where when I showed up for the first day, the facilities department built me a new desk right then & there! They ended up treated me wonderfully the whole time. Wisconsin Nice.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·

What city? Along the Gulf Coast, those jobs would get filled. Denver is now rather expensive - much more so then when I lived there in during the winters of the late '00s.

And if Maverick Corner can't get staff, I guess they don't open up a new location. I'm sure we already have enough crap that they sell.

·
Premium Member
11,526 Posts
When the company I worked at (a small, regional, family owned and run company) was bought out by a Fortune 500 company years ago, I was laid off.

I knew the company was up for sale two years before it was sold. Once I knew who the buyers were I researched them and realized my time at this company would not last long, so I prepared. I started my new job the day after I was laid off.

I made a conscious decision to never work for a big corporation again.

I've had offers to work at competitors or other big companies but I've passed on those offers. I like working at places where I can deal directly with the owner.

BTW, guess who is suffering with filling management positions right now, and big time.

The old owners cultivated a feeling of belonging.

The new owners cultivated a feeling of you're expendable.
I would day that about half of the large corporations I worked treated the employees acceptably.

The best job I had was when I was working in London for France Telecon. Due to LargeCorp nepotism and general common sense-free decision making, my boss was a guy who worked in Paris who did not know what I did, and much less how I did it. It worked out great. I kept delivering results and he stayed away. Just a weekly phone call.

• "Is everything ok?
  • "Yes, everything's fine"
  • Ok, speak to you next week"

·
Super Moderator
15,919 Posts
I would day that about half of the large corporations I worked treated the employees acceptably.

The best job I had was when I was working in London for France Telecon. Due to LargeCorp nepotism and general common sense-free decision making, my boss was a guy who worked in Paris who did not know what I did, and much less how I did it. It worked out great. I kept delivering results and he stayed away. Just a weekly phone call.

• "Is everything ok?
  • "Yes, everything's fine"
  • Ok, speak to you next week"
Same here. I saw my boss once every couple months and his dad about twice a year.

They actually only visited Norcal twice in the 8 years I was there.

Pretty much do your own thing as long as you produce results, which I did.

I was able to make mistakes, learn from them and improve the way we did things.

I learned a lot hands on and got a great education. I've been able to apply much of what I learned there in my subsequent jobs.

·
Super Moderator
15,919 Posts
What city? Along the Gulf Coast, those jobs would get filled. Denver is now rather expensive - much more so then when I lived there in during the winters of the late '00s.

And if Maverick Corner can't get staff, I guess they don't open up a new location. I'm sure we already have enough crap that they sell.
🤔

I've been looking at wages in Denver. Double what they are around here. I'm heading up there next week to look around.

·
Super Moderator
15,919 Posts
The best time to be in Denver is the winter. :D
Lol. I was supposed to go up there in January.

I kept putting it off because I hadn't finished another job but really it was because I don't like cold weather.

The high wages worries me a little but as others on this thread have noted, prices will have to be adjusted up.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
🤔

I've been looking at wages in Denver. Double what they are around here. I'm heading up there next week to look around.
And so is the cost of living, median rent for a one bedroom is now $1,600, and that's in the cheap part of town, gas is averaging $3.40/gal, median home price is now $500K, trust me stay where you are at

·
Premium Member
12,432 Posts
And so is the cost of living, median rent for a one bedroom is now $1,600, and that's in the cheap part of town, gas is averaging $3.40/gal, median home price is now $500K, trust me stay where you are at
Or make more money!

Reactions: observer

·
Super Moderator
15,919 Posts
It would be a temporary move for me with long distance commute and mostly online monitoring eventually.

181 - 200 of 204 Posts