Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the LA core, and the SFV pretty well. So, when I get taken to areas I am not familiar with like OC areas, or Long Beach, especially if I don't have non core incentives, I find myself just dead miling (no idea how to spell that), it back to the LA core. Even if I have the 1.3x non core incentive, I still don't like driving in areas that I don't know at all... I know we can do it, and I have, since we have the gps, but I always feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I pretty much just exude confidence and power through anywhere i find myself. I try to not deadmile EXCEPT to get back to closer areas I know will surge.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Just have the navigation sent to an earpiece and hope the GPS doesn't screw up. You'll look like you know what you're doing. Fake it until you make it.

Make sure to do an overview of the trip instead of relying solely on turn by turn navigation. I don't care for driving in areas I'm clueless about, like the OC, but doing at least enough trips to earn enough to cover, or at least offset, the cost of the return trip is important to our bottom line.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have become so darn familiar with core it ridiculous. In all my years driving I haven't been more familiar. Core and Valley I am good. Everywhere else I feel lost.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i ALways go back to core... had a ride from palisades to fontana on saturday..it was a nice $130 fare to some music festival...took 1hr 48 min out of my day..didnt care...i still deadmiled it back to LA core...

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Same. I ended up in Santa Monica yesterday. Got a 4.3 pax on pool at SM pier. I let it time out, logged off and deadmiled back to OC. where I then got another ride to DTLA. Grrrr

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
It depends how far out I get. If I am too far and don't know the area, I'll put in my home destination to try and get a return trip, otherwise I'll just dead mile drive home.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah I'll usually just deadmile with a route that increases my chances of catching a fare along the way. For instance, I ended up in Newport Beach this past weekend and I had a ton of shorties all day. So come night time, I just started deadmiling up PCH and caught a few fares up the coast, made it to Manhattan Beach and did a few more shorties. Then finally just decided to turn the app off and deadmile to WeHo.

·
Registered
626 Posts
90% of the time I already know where the pax is going before they get in my car. I will not except a trip outside of core unless I know the traffic is such that I can get back quickly. Dead miling is one thing and dead timing is a whole nother thing. Dead timing is the real killer.
I make more money staying in core on metals than I do going outside of core and having to dead mile and dead time back in bad traffic most of the time.
The most important block for me to protect is the 2.0x/2.2 platinum boost in the morning during the week. It gets my day started in a good direction by utilizing that time.
If I get taken to long beach at the beginning of the boost and then have to dead mile and dead TIME it back into core with the morning traffic I can easily miss most of the rest of that boost amount period.
I would rather take a bunch of short trips for 2-3hrs in core with 2.0x-2.2x than one longer trip outside of core and then watch that boost wasting away as I sit in traffic.
I am learning the edges of the border of core and how quickly I can get to them from different outside areas. It's challenging.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
If there's a surge in the non-core area I end up in I will play there. If not I head back to the nearest core area. One time I ended up in Arcadia, a nice 30 mile ride on 1.8 boost. Once there I tried one ride to see if it would take me back towards core but no luck, and I didn't like the look of the neighborhood so I went offline and started driving towards south Pasadena. Before I got there however a nice surge popped up, so back online I went. First one was a dud, but second ride got a 2.8 surge to LAX (and I live in Redondo!). Yeah that's a bit of a unicorn but it's nice when it works out. Another time recently I ended up in San Pedro and then after a couple tries got a ride from a guy at 1.6 surge who literally lives on my street! Got me home (literally) and then I called it a day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
90% of the time I already know where the pax is going before they get in my car. I will not except a trip outside of core unless I know the traffic is such that I can get back quickly. Dead miling is one thing and dead timing is a whole nother thing. Dead timing is the real killer.
I make more money staying in core on metals than I do going outside of core and having to dead mile and dead time back in bad traffic most of the time.
The most important block for me to protect is the 2.0x/2.2 platinum boost in the morning during the week. It gets my day started in a good direction by utilizing that time.
If I get taken to long beach at the beginning of the boost and then have to dead mile and dead TIME it back into core with the morning traffic I can easily miss most of the rest of that boost amount period.
I would rather take a bunch of short trips for 2-3hrs in core with 2.0x-2.2x than one longer trip outside of core and then watch that boost wasting away as I sit in traffic.
I am learning the edges of the border of core and how quickly I can get to them from different outside areas. It's challenging.
How do you know their Destination 90% of the time?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts