Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was taking these guys call away out in Westlake to their Airbnb the two guys in the backseat pass out and when we get to their destination the one that was still awake was just gonna leave them in my car. They were all very good friends there visiting from out of town for a bachelor party. The one that was await told me OK well they're your passengers so I'm in a leave you here to take care of that I'm going and I'm going to sleep.

I told the guy that if he left them there in my car my only option to get them out of the car would be to call the police. I would hate to call the police but honestly I can't put my hands on them as it could lead to either a civil suit or criminal charges for assault.

What would you do?

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I was taking these guys call away out in Westlake to their Airbnb the two guys in the backseat pass out and when we get to their destination the one that was still awake was just gonna leave them in my car. They were all very good friends there visiting from out of town for a bachelor party. The one that was await told me OK well they're your passengers so I'm in a leave you here to take care of that I'm going and I'm going to sleep.

I told the guy that if he left them there in my car my only option to get them out of the car would be to call the police. I would hate to call the police but honestly I can't put my hands on them as it could lead to either a civil suit or criminal charges for assault.

What would you do?
I would call the police.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Either call police or go to nearest police station, leave the fare running till they ar out of the car and you are released from the scene.

There are significant liability issues otherwise, if they have alcohol poisoning or choke on their own vomit, you will be responsible if you do nothing and/or end the fare. Obviously report to Uber.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
T

What would you do?
You need to do the "go real fast slam on the brakes" wake up call. When most people hit the floor board or back of the seat it has a miraculous way of "waking the dead".

·
25,462 Posts
I would hate to call the police

What would you do?
Why would you hate to call the Police? The choice is sit there with them in your car and get paid, at best, peanuts; at worst, nothing. What would I do?

I would call the police.
^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then let uber know.
^^^^^^^^^^^Then, THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd drag them out of my car, leave them on the sidewalk or curb, rummage their pockets and ck their wallets for "id" and if I didn't find a nice tip, call 911 and tell them about the drunks passed out in public....

Really, I don't know, glad it didn't happen to me. I don't do drunks, kids or animals, don't pick up them up, you will not have these issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use three techniques before calling the police (at which point I've assumed they might need an ems, which has only happened once.)

•When pulling up to the address stop short HARD (but, you know, trying not to. explode your break lines.)

•Turn on the dome light and if you have a bright LED flashlight ($15-30 at a hardware store), strobe it on they're eyelids--you'd be surprised how well that works.

•Blast some rock, metal, or Indian music as loud as your speakers can go without busting them at 3-5 second intervals.

If they open their eyes and look like they're going to fall back asleep keep flashing the light in their eyes until they stumble out, then send Uber a complaint so they can nullify a bad rating.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why would you hate to call the Police? The choice is sit there with them in your car and get paid, at best, peanuts; at worst, nothing. What would I do?

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^Then, THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pick the path of least resistance. The obvious and easy option is to incentivize the friend not to be a ****** and get them out of my car.

Calling the police equals an lengthy wait time for them, a pissed off scene then having to hang around while I answer questions for the police report. Anytime I can avoid involving cops without increasing the likelihood of the police getting involved later I avoid them.

That and I'm not anti passengers like so many of you here. On Lyft I get a lot of considerate passengers who often tip well. These guys weren't that but it was surging at 250% so I was okay with that. The awake guy woke his brother and the other one and they were up and out of my car in less than 5 minutes. And I went home. I was not in the mood to mess around with cops for an hour and a half.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use three techniques before calling the police (at which point I've assumed they might need an ems, which has only happened once.)

•When pulling up to the address stop short HARD (but, you know, trying not to. explode your break lines.)

•Turn on the dome light and if you have a bright LED flashlight ($15-30 at a hardware store), strobe it on they're eyelids--you'd be surprised how well that works.

•Blast some rock, metal, or Indian music as loud as your speakers can go without busting them at 3-5 second intervals.

If they open their eyes and look like they're going to fall back asleep keep flashing the light in their eyes until they stumble out, then send Uber a complaint so they can nullify a bad rating.
Exactly and thank you! Those are great suggestion especially the flash light. I never had a passer outer until this weekend and I had two. The first guy was nice and talking until the end. I yelled okay your home and it woke him up. I used the dome light on the other guys. Yelling wasn't working. The flash light should work for most though, you are right and if none of these are working than yeah time for the police and ems. I'd be legimately concerned at that point.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
T

You need to do the "go real fast slam on the brakes" wake up call. When most people hit the floor board or back of the seat it has a miraculous way of "waking the dead".
They were seat belted in and I drive a Volvo so slamming on the brakes only makes their head fall forward.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

What would you do?
Break out the sharpie

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I would hate to call the police
911 isn't just "the Police"
Dumbest thing you said, call your mother to smack you
What they're unresponsive? Time to call 911 for the paramedics, two UNRESPONSIVE passengers sounds like a medical emergency to me.
Yep, dial 911, if you don't the fate of the unresponsive PAX you left behind is now legally your burden in a court of law.

EDIT: Decided to edit all my posts in this thread so all stupid people can read this more than once:
Diabetics with low blood sugar looks like intoxication, CALL 911

1 - 20 of 145 Posts