Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pickup on a residential street in an upscale NW neighborhood - the guy is actually
out front, waiting for me with his phone in hand! He gets in, I start the trip,
he says, "Hey, wait, I have a sort of unusual request."

Uh oh.
"Well, it's cool if you don't want to, but other Uber drivers do it all the time."
This can't be good.
"It's just that -- I don't actually need to take this ride myself,
I just need to have this little package dropped off to my friend.
He will be right outside waiting to take it, I promise."
Well, OK, I guess.
"Great! Thanks! Now give me your personal cell phone number,
so that I can <incoherent something about texting>."
Umm, you can text me from the app (???)
He tries again, but I still cannot understand what he wants the number for.
But he gives up and is just happy I'll drop his package off.
Away I go.

The package is a small paper lunch sack, and looks like it could be Chinese food.
Like there might be some of those little square cardboard take-out boxes in there.
Or something.
I just saw it when he had it in his hand, never did look at it closely.
He put it on the floor in the back.

About 4 minutes into the 20 minute, 6 mile, $12.69 ride, there is a noise.
OMG, I swear that something in that package rustled around!
Is there a gerbil or something in there? WTF?

Two blocks into the trip: Is that cop from out of nowhere on these side streets FOLLOWING ME?
Eventually he disappears. I am beginning to wonder what might be going on.

Turns out to be in a bad part of NE, and it's not a house, it's a 7-11.
But that guy out front. I am sure that must be the guy.
And he comes over, and asks about some name that is not my pax name.
Briefly I think he happens to be looking for some other Uber.
But then he shows me his phone, with a text that has my license plate and everything.
OK, it's you. I invite him to open the door and retrieve the package.

He grabs it, and literally runs off to a waiting vehicle which picks him up and speeds away.

Apparently there is a secret gerbil relay race going on.
Or something.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What you did is called UberDelivery.
I've done it about five times. One dog in a crate. Two coats. I searched all pockets. For bags and boxes I politely request to see the content. I tell them I must know in case the police pays me a visit on the way.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You've got to be trolling. Dude you didn't actually do this did you? That could of had anything in it from drugs, money, weapons bomb or otherwise, that's a super risky move man. Law enforcement aside you don't know what the deal is between the sender and receiver. What if they accuse you of taking something. Lots could of gone wrong for $12 bucks man.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Speaking from my experience,
Any trips to PG county and DC NE
I look into their eyes, if I feel suspicious
I cancel the trip

Never take risks for $10

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've got to be trolling. Dude you didn't actually do this did you? That could of had anything in it from drugs, money, weapons bomb or otherwise, that's a super risky move man. Law enforcement aside you don't know what the deal is between the sender and receiver. What if they accuse you of taking something. Lots could of gone wrong for $12 bucks man.
It didn't weigh enough to be most of those things.

Why would I steal their gerbil?
(Well, it really could have been a parakeet in there.)
Something rustled! Seriously.

Only transport passengers, dummies!
If they have a package, that's on them.
Also, this is where a DASH CAM comes into play..
1. You shouldn't call the pax names like that.
2. Where else would his package have been? (Ewww?)
3. If I had a vid of his package I would get in trouble for posting it on YouTube, sorry.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It didn't weigh enough to be most of those things.

Why would I steal their gerbil?
(Well, it really could have been a parakeet in there.)
Something rustled!
Something rustled after it was in the car. You didn't know it when you could of been accepting a few grams or pills of any kind of drug that weigh.... a few grams etc or money for said drugs.

And ok it ended up being some sort of rodent..... that escapes and gets out in your car and either gets lost and starts tearing up your shit and oh yea telling gerbil fighter you lost his gerbil. I'd love to see the response from uber when you want damages from carrying a package which I believe is against the rules.

Or gerbil receiver says there was supposed to be 2 gerbils than 1. Calls gerbil giver and giver said there were 2 and you stole one. Gerbil receiver is now super pissed at you

Or when gerbil receiver reports you for stealing and just to be sure uber deactivates you for a few weeks to make sure you're not a thief

All that for $12 bucks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And you set yourselves up to be lied on in so many ways in a situation that technically uber could be like sorry you're on your own.
Hey, we're Uber drivers -- it's all about the lies!
Technically, Uber is always like sorry you're on your own.

Seriously! That's what the "independent contractor" thing is all about. in every way.

However, Uber would certainly verify that I accepted that trip they dispatched to me,
and that I drove it, even though the pax phone was not in the car; and they know who
the account holder of that phone is, and that person's GPS. Uber tracks your GPS from
the time you turn the app on, until the phone is shut down (not just the app "closed".)
Remember when it was revealed that they track you all the time, not just when you
are ordering or taking rides? It was so they could get a good profile on you, where
you live, work, eat, visit, travel, etc. in order to better predict from your habits
when you might need a ride. (Cough. Or some such big-brother bullshit.)
Amazing how things like that are reported, outraged, and then a few months later,
everybody totally forgot about it and business as usual.

"Ubuser is a a technology company."

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hey, we're Uber drivers -- it's all about the lies!
Technically, Uber is always like sorry you're on your own.

Seriously! That's what the "independent contractor" thing is all about. in every way.

However, Uber would certainly verify that I accepted that trip they dispatched to me,
and that I drove it, even though the pax phone was not in the car; and they know who
the account holder of that phone is, and that person's GPS. Uber tracks your GPS from
the time you turn the app on, until the phone is shut down (not just the app "closed".)
Remember when it was revealed that they track you all the time, not just when you
are ordering or taking rides? It was so they could get a good profile on you, where
you live, work, eat, visit, travel, etc. in order to better predict from your habits
when you might need a ride. (Cough. Or some such big-brother bullshit.)
Amazing how things like that are reported, outraged, and then a few months later,
everybody totally forgot about it and business as usual.

"Ubuser is a a technology company."
Has nothing to do with you either getting killed for a drug deal via uber delivery or going to jail for carrying around drugs. But don't worry man seems legit. Maybe you should set up a service. Uberdrugs

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Something rustled after it was in the car. You didn't know it when you could of been accepting a few grams or pills of any kind of drug that weigh.... a few grams etc or money for said drugs.
You are totally not understanding what I mean by the word "rustle".
I do not mean "rattled around".

I mean, something in there was definitely alive, and it moved around,
scratched against the side of the package, and wanted out.

My first thought, having owned birds, was, "That's exactly what it sounds like
when the bird you are taking home from the pet store gets restless in it's tiny paper box."
A gerbil would be about the same.

But that that point I really didn't remember how big the package was, and my second
thought was, "WTF? Is there a cat back there? Damnit!" because cats and tiny dogs
are the most common pets that people attempt (successfully several times) to smuggle
in my car. I didn't even realize until the pax got out that they had secreted a pet with them.

Maybe you should set up a service. Uberdrugs
Someone beat me to it. But they called it "Uber".

In addition to UberX, which can be used to deliver packages, there is Uber Eats / Delivery,
which will park, go into the store, get the food, and park at your destination,
take package up to you, and not get a tip what the **** were you thinking.
Then there is Uber Rush, which is pretty much the same thing, but with time guarantees.

Uber Delivery
https://www.uber.com/drive/delivery/

Uber Rush FAQ
https://rush.uber.com/faq/

Uber Tired Of Customers Using Cars As Couriers, Begins Testing Actual Courier Service
https://consumerist.com/2014/04/08/...uriers-begins-testing-actual-courier-service/
"One could argue that Uber is a type of courier service, right? They've delivered Christmas Trees, kittens to brighten your day and of course shuttled you across the city. Well, you won't have to argue the merits of that point anymore now that the company has officially began testing Uber Rush - an actual courier service."

Uber gets serious about delivering packages
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993077/apps/uber-gets-serious-about-delivering-packages.html

How Uber Can Be Used For Far More Than Just Rides
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethpo...ed-for-far-more-than-just-rides/#4ebc0f4958f4
"To me, Uber isn't just an app-delivered car ride-it's a messenger service. A need-it-now private driver for parcels, papers, suitcases, and other such stuff. Now, I'm not talking about UberRUSH, which is literally a courier-style messenger service (that one's still limited to pickups in Manhattan, and I'm guessing is mostly used by businesses who need to move papers and packages around town). I'm talking about Uber's normal, plain car pickups. You may not know it, but this service can easily double as the everyman errand-runner."

Maybe the gerbil also had car keys...
https://uberpeople.net/threads/are-we-supposed-to-deliver-packages.143864/
Closest I've had is twice, normal X rides (not pool, damn cheapskates) where I roll up, there's a fellow there, says "I've got a weird request", hands me a car key, asks me to take it to the address supplied to someone else who needs it for the car that is at that location. Best passengers I've ever had. :p
--The Ombudsman, Feb 23, 2017, Boulder CO

Has nothing to do with you either getting killed for a drug deal via uber delivery or going to jail for carrying around drugs. But don't worry man seems legit.
This is so very different from when you pick up random people and deliver them to their drug deals in person.

But anyway, about 85% of my trips are people who are carrying illegal drugs.
(So are yours, if you drive in the evenings.)
Technically, some of them could be charged with intent to redistribute, just because of the quantity.
We usually call these people "college students" and "millennials", but it's also older people.

But all this drug stuff is pure speculation.
What I am actually most interested in, which nobody has provided any
plausible answer, is what animal was inside the package?
Cuz it was something.

By the way, if this was drugs: Do you think a dealer is going to put that into a car with some
dude they don't know and will never see again, and trust it to get there?

And there would certainly be no recourse with Uber or anything. What's he going
to claim when he complains to Uber? That there was something else of value he tried to send?
And how believable is that? And unless he happened to video the pickup, how will he even
claim that he sent something, as opposed to sending his girlfriend home. I'm not even likely
to remember the trip at all - "People send friends in my car all the time, don't remember that one."'
And then why did I drive that trip (GPS) with nothing and nobody aboard, and why didn't he cancel
while it was in progress?

And what if I dashcammed the whole thing, from pickup to dropoff,
snapped pics of the person who picked the package up?

No, the way that drug transports happen is with live mules.
Like the one in the story who abducted the driver the other day when they tried to cancel.
And like the many other ones who are not crazy and who would just have requested another Uber.

I am trying to figure out if the secret gerbil relay race had anything to do with the marathon running.

Maybe it was goldfish and they were in a hurry because they didn't want to make sushi.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Amy one under 18 needs to be accompanied by an adult.. any belongings needs to be accompanied by its owner..I ain't delivering jack to anyone.. I don't even do Uber eats.. the only thing I'm delivering is human.. human transporting from one place to another.. lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Amy one under 18 needs to be accompanied by an adult.. any belongings needs to be accompanied by its owner..I ain't delivering jack to anyone.. I don't even do Uber eats.. the only thing I'm delivering is human.. human transporting from one place to another.. lol
So I guess UberHearse and UberOrgans is right out, then?

Also, no Uber<insert_location_here_I_don't_want_to_get_banned> either...

What about pickup from 9000 Virginia Manor Road, Beltsville, going to Georgetown...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts