Uber Drivers Forum banner

What is the main criteria you consider to Be Full Time at this Gig?

• # of Rides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • # of Hours

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No Day Job, Only do Rideshare

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Too complicated to apply non-gig economy language to ride-share

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE

Votes: 1 3.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crossed 1500 Rides this week, Part Time, evenings and some weekends. It's not hard if you are using one app exclusively. If you are doing both, and UBER is giving pings, well, then you are going to do a lot fewer LYFT rides. Not that that is much of a problem, they pay exactly the same thing.
It with my sincere condolences to inform that 1500 trips in less than a year is in fact not part time.

Premium Member
It with my sincere condolences to inform that 1500 trips in less than a year is in fact not part time.
4 trips a day?
2 on the way to work and 2 on the way back?
3-4 on the weekends while doing groceries?

Doing 2-4 hours on weekends?

Not PT?

Registered
I don't know what defines part time

But my record says I did 1145 Uber trips hitting the 5 months mark since I started and I do it part time

On the other hand I'm still committed to my full time job 8 am to 4 pm

It is possible if one is single with minimal to no social and family commitments outside work to achieve this

Premium Member
It is possible for part timers like me.

I only drive 3hrs/day with approximately 8-10 trips daily
x 5 days a week = 10x5 = 50 trips a week
x 4 weeks/month = 200 trips a month
x12 months = 2400 trips a year

And that's part time :)

Premium Member
NORMY --> My wife probably agrees with you. I fill in the cracks of my evenings and weekends by turning on app at home.

I typically drive from 10p to 1a on most weekdays (15h) and if I have a Friday night or saturday night to burn (+5h). Between 15-20h/week on average which gives me about 30 trips per week.

When I travel or various family-holidays, I typically do not drive, but sometimes when everyone in the family is busy, or when demand is high, I will play taxi and do 50 rides in a week.

To be accurate: ~1450 rides from December 12, 2017 to December 12, 2018.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what defines part time

But my record says I did 1145 Uber trips hitting the 5 months mark since I started and I do it part time

On the other hand I'm still committed to my full time job 8 am to 4 pm

It is possible if one is single with minimal to no social and family commitments outside work to achieve this
Organism Gesture Happy Adaptation Font

Premium Member
Here is a space to hash out the details for the part timers vs. the full timers in the Greater Toronto Market. I moved the increasingly derailing posts from the 'Lyft Jacket' thread to hopefully start a full fledged discussion on how people classify themselves and what motivates them to work for pennies.

Full timers:
Unemployed and filling the gap?
Supporting a family as sole income? (Gulp)

Part Timers?
Second income to support spouses full time job?
Beer & Scotch Money?
Stock Market play money?
Simply bored and want human interaction?
Have a low-cost vehicle and looking to maximize utility?

Vote in the poll or discuss below.

Premium Member
Part timers are based on no. of hours you work (drive) in my opinion.

Even in the real employment world where in you as an employee with a d*ckhead boss. If you work less than 30 hrs/week it's considered part time.

In my case I am. I only drive 15hrs/week :)

Premium Member
Part timers are based on no. of hours you work (drive) in my opinion.

Even in the real employment world where in you as an employee with a d*ckhead boss. If you work less than 30 hrs/week it's considered part time.

In my case I am. I only drive 15hrs/week :)
I'm on the same page here. I would set the bar closer to 25h, but 30 is rounder.

But it gets stickier in terms of definition of time: I probably drive less than 20, but the App registers >30, because I sit at home doing other things while waiting for a ping. In old-school parlance, is 'being on call' actual working hours?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only messing with y'all seen full timers at the shitter, 80hrs week $2400 paystatement geez

Registered
I do both PT and FT, depending on my other commitments. My other jobs are mostly seasonal and part time.

The terms PT and FT are kinda old fashioned in terms of the gig economy. Some weeks I do 20-30 hrs (pt) and other weeks I do 50-60 (ft) and my average hovers in between, somewhere around 40? Not sure if thats either PT or FT.

Often I'll do 3-4 hr blocks...one in the morning and one in the afternoon or evening. Weekends I'll do 8+ hrs.

The flexibility really is pretty awesome....

Registered
If it's not your main job then it's part time gig/ side job.. Etc call it whatever lol

As long as your survival not relying on it its part time

Another term is (freelance) , at certain point in my life I worked as interpreter (assignment based) basically they would call me when an assignment is available for me so I go complete it and submit my bill to the agency they pay me

Premium Member
This is not just nomenclature. Many of the miscommunications in drivers here in the Up.net pages is because they have vastly different priorities and/or reasons for doing ride-share, which dictate 'how' they do ride-share, and what lines they are willing to cross and what ones they are not.

Registered
My fulltime Job is:
1st Week
Mon Tue Fri Sat Sun
2nd Week
Wed Thu

On my free time
Uber Lyft STD
1st Week
Wed Thu
2nd Week
Mon Tue Fri Sat Sun

Registered
I can't tell if you're bragging or trying to elicit sympathy. ;)
LOL, explaining how come this number of trips during such short period of time

The down time usually spent responding to nagging wife and demanding kids is utilized instead to drive and make money, simple is that

Ride share is for everyone, every driver views it in a different way and drives within different context than the other

Premium Member
By hours there are weeks I do this more than my full time job lol... overall I don't put more than 30 hrs a week.... and I would be alright without it too, but it helps to have close to 400 every week sometimes. (Especially when stocks taking a hit lol)

Premium Member
By hours there are weeks I do this more than my full time job lol... overall I don't put more than 30 hrs a week.... and I would be alright without it too, but it helps to have close to 400 every week sometimes. (Especially when stocks taking a hit lol)
This is my target too $400/5days 3hrs a day. If I didn't hit it i'll do some eats on the side to cover for missing uber X gaps to close it to $400.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts