Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Vaxhall Insignia 2013-2016 (UberX)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a curious thought as am in the market for a new car.

We all know car manufacturers exaggerate on their MPG figures.

From experience what cars get what MPG in London?

I have heard that Prius's claimed 72mpg is more like 40.. My bmw 325d got around 40-45 in London without trying too hard so are hybrids even worth the Sh*tty handling, loss of power and cheap trim?

Just trying to work out whether to go hybrid or stay petrol/diesel & if so which car is a good compromise between cheap-to-run Uber work horse and comfy/nice-to-drive private car -- I plan to stop driving for Uber before the mandatory diesel drop or go Exec.

Leaning towards going Exec in a 2016/17 Audi A6 and keep it on as my post-Uber private car. But am also considering getting something crappy for Uber X-ing instead then switch up to something nicer when I stop late 2018/early 2019.

All makes and models welcome. I'm sure others on here have the same thought.

Can't be ass*d to write? take the poll... BC's opinions also welcome, we all like cars.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts

I have heard that Prius's claimed 72mpg is more like 40.. My bmw 325d got around 40-45 in London without trying too hard so are hybrids even worth the Sh*tty handling, loss of power and cheap trim?

Just trying to work out whether to go hybrid or stay petrol/diesel & if so which car is a good compromise between cheap-to-run Uber work horse and comfy/nice-to-drive private car -- I plan to stop driving for Uber before the mandatory diesel drop or go Exec.

Leaning towards going Exec in a 2016/17 Audi A6 and keep it on as my post-Uber private car. But am also considering getting something crappy for Uber X-ing instead then switch up to something nicer when I stop late 2018/early 2019.

Can't be ass*d to write? take the poll... BC's opinions also welcome, we all like cars.
Audi, VW, Skoda have same engine so the mpg are not far from one to the other. Skoda is The cheapest and is almost a Passat. Audi it's good but...is it worth it for X???

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
No diesels on uber from end of 2019, you might want to consider that before purchase.

Auto Prius good in centre of town but get them out on the 40+ speed limits and motorways and their economy plunges. The last Prius I drove on the motorway you could actually see the fuel guae needle moving towards empty when you got it up to 70.( they also have this really annoying feature called the driver which causes them to sit in the middle lane at 67mph on motorways)

I drive a manual which gives ok round centre of town around 40 mpg but get it on the A roads and motorways and its 70mpg in top gear.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
BC opinion welcome ... if BC drivers know about cars .. they would not be driving tractors.
And if you knew about money, you wouldn't be working for Uber.
What a dipstick you really are Rodney..... lol

Prius will do 60+ on motorway if you don't exceed 70mph. That's for sure
Isn't it only working off the petrol engine at those speeds?

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
No diesels on uber from end of 2019, you might want to consider that before purchase.

Auto Prius good in centre of town but get them out on the 40+ speed limits and motorways and their economy plunges. The last Prius I drove on the motorway you could actually see the fuel guae needle moving towards empty when you got it up to 70.( they also have this really annoying feature called the driver which causes them to sit in the middle lane at 67mph on motorways)

I drive a manual which gives ok round centre of town around 40 mpg but get it on the A roads and motorways and its 70mpg in top gear.
What 3 mph lower than speed limit, that must be annoying. You planning to break speed limit on every trip then?

·
8,783 Posts
BC opinion welcome ... if BC drivers know about cars .. they would not be driving tractors.
Well any sensible Cabbie will be jumping in a lease of a new TXe.

It is the best Taxi ever for London.

It will be a task to get some onboard because more than a few Cabbies like being freehold in an older Taxi.

But once you factor in how much more advanced the TXe is compared to the TX4 and Vito and the overall costs it makes sense tonlease one.

Or buy, as they are only £7k more than a Vito van conversion.

Anybody that is anti TXe should drive one and look at all the technology on there.

Its a highly advanced vehicle and is likely more than half Volvo

As far as fuel economy goes

36.2mpg over the last 8000miles in an S350d with a mix of local running and a few longer runs.

Prius will do 60+ on motorway if you don't exceed 70mph. That's for sure
A Prius is worse on fuel in a run than it is round London.

70mpg and more is not unheard of if you drive them properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would never choose a car based on MPG only.
I rather drive a low(er) MPG car which is comfortable and which I love to drive than a ******

But it's probably because I spend 10 hours in it ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Yes, I only drive with Uber to support myself while my start-up gains traction. I will have weened myself off driving by then (fingers crossed).. How do you find the strain on your clutch knee driving manual with Uber? My 325d was manual, Ubering with it gave me a repetitive strain injury hence new car query.. making the swap to auto or flappy floppy paddles.

Audi, VW, Skoda have same engine so the mpg are not far from one to the other. Skoda is The cheapest and is almost a Passat. Audi it's good but...is it worth it for X???
The A6 would be for Exec not X. Would the extra pricey fares warrant the extra price in your opinion?

I rather drive a low(er) MPG car which is comfortable and which I love to drive than a ******

No dear, that would be sacrilege. A car must drive and drive it will.

I also spend between 10 & 12hrs a day in the drivers seat... I work on a five week cycle... three weeks on and two weeks off (3x 60/70hr weeks Uber, followed by 2x normal 5 day 9-5 weeks running the new LTD). During the two normal weeks the Uber car becomes my Private car. MPG is but a sensibility.

·
Premium Member
6,387 Posts
Another misinformed classic from yourself, honesty how do you keep pulling it out the bag?

Drive a petrol x5 so feel that pain

·
Registered
78 Posts
Drive a petrol x5 so feel that pain
I did say "MPG only", didn't I, lol? Anyway, not a big fan of BMWs either...

When I started minicabbing I hired a Prius (as that was easily available) and used it for four weeks while sorting out a (proper) car. So it did 50 on the gallon. My car does 38.2 (average over 15,000 miles). That is 1.74 litre difference on every 60 miles (sorry, I'm a metric guy). Let's say 45,000 miles per annum means £1,305 is the price to pay for my "poor choice" of car. I can live with that ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts

Go to Honest John real mpg, google it.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Yes, I only drive with Uber to support myself while my start-up gains traction. I will have weened myself off driving by then (fingers crossed).. How do you find the strain on your clutch knee driving manual with Uber? My 325d was manual, Ubering with it gave me a repetitive strain injury hence new car query.. making the swap to auto or flappy floppy paddles.

The A6 would be for Exec not X. Would the extra pricey fares warrant the extra price in your opinion?

No dear, that would be sacrilege. A car must drive and drive it will.

I also spend between 10 & 12hrs a day in the drivers seat... I work on a five week cycle... three weeks on and two weeks off (3x 60/70hr weeks Uber, followed by 2x normal 5 day 9-5 weeks running the new LTD). During the two normal weeks the Uber car becomes my Private car. MPG is but a sensibility.
Some office use A4 as Exec.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts