Uber Drivers Forum banner

What are you doing for insurance coverage?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  UberBlueDunk 
#1 ·
Are there any options in terms of insurance policies for NV TNC drivers besides full-blown commercial policies?

My [minimal] understanding is that most insurance carriers will cancel your personal auto insurance policy if they find out you are using your vehicle for business. Do delivery drivers using their own cars face the same issue in NV?

It seems your personal insurance would find out if you (1) tell them and/or (2) you file a claim and your TNC's insurance company calls your personal insurance company....It also seems until options are available beyond purchasing [expensive I presume] commercial insurance "hope and pray" for no accidents and "don't tell them" are the two alternatives...both of which could/should make potential TNC drivers a bit nervous (I think I am).

Any light anyone can shed (including any good commercial insurance carriers) would be greatly appreciated.

~Dunk

#2 ·
You can call Farmers Insurance, they were the main company pushing TNC insurance coverage through the Nevada legislature.

http://nevadainsurancecouncil.com/compromise-reached-between-insurance-industry-tncs/

You can get more information with the above link. Also, if you look down at the bottom of the page, you will see a Farmers Insurance representative that would be very knowledgeable with any questions you might have about TNC insurance.

#4 ·
I talked yesterday to my local Farmers Agent, Mike Geiger. He brought up several good points. One being that Farmers will provide coverage to TNC drivers with their current policies. For insurance rating purposes, the company does not classify us as commercial drivers needing commercial rates. If the vehicle is not titled in the name of a business, the insurance company considers that the vehicle is not for 100% commercial use. My agent did recommend purchasing more bodily injury and uninsured motorist insurance than is used normally. This ensures that there's plenty of coverage 4 passengers injured in the case of an at fault accident or being hit by a motorist with little to no insurance. I am moving my policies to him from progressive which tends to be very opposed to any commercial use of your vehicle. Technically even pizza delivery is against progressive policy. Not very progressive of them, that is for sure.

#6 ·
If you're on a ride your occupants are covered and TNC's insurance next move is to call your personal insurance because your personal insurance is primary insurance. While it will take a lot of time you can find many posts on this board (and horror stories) dealing with TNC's insurance and getting cancelled by personal insurance companies.

Just curious if people here are just going to risk it until there are personal insurance options here in NV that won't result in you being denied a claim and cancelled by your personal insurance because you work for a TNC.

~Dunk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.