Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting a few riders wanting to know if they can bring their open beer can in the car.
I'm sure there's a law against it but just wanted to double check in QLD.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's against the law to have an open container of alcohol in a vehicle.
I not 100% on this...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it's against the law to have an open container of alcohol in a vehicle.
I not 100% on this...
No neither am I that's why I'm asking. I'd hate to make my riders have to abide by a law that exists only in Hollywood movies. (Which is where I get most of my info from) :(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Found this...
Drinking in public places

Most places other than someone's house are public places. They usually include:

• Footpaths, roads, parks, beaches;

• Shopping centres;

• Unlicensed restaurants, cafes and dining areas (places that don't sell alcohol);

• Community centres, halls and churches;

• Theatres, libraries and galleries;

• Public transport (buses, trains, trams, aeroplanes, taxis, ferries);

• Gyms and sporting facilities;

• Hospitals.

It is against the law for you to have or drink alcohol in a public place unless:

• you are at a place that has been chosen by the local government as one where people can drink (this sometimes happens for barbecue areas, or when weddings are held in parks); and

• you are with a responsible adult (like your parent or guardian).

If you are caught, you might be warned, cautioned, or the police may fine you $341 on the spot. You can always choose to have the matter decided by a court. The alcohol can also be taken by the police.

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
I not 100% on this...
I've researched the Legislation and Regulations, from time to time, and can never find anything that prohibits it in Qld for passengers; the driver, however, is specifically prohibited, however. Haven't checked them recently though - things may have changed, especially with the ride booking legalisation.
I've also seen, somewhere, a catch-all addition to Bandy's list of Public Places, which said in effect:"anywhere the public may have reasonable and lawful access to". This wider definition also enables you to be done for "urinating in public".
Not sure if an Uber is a "Public Place", however, as they are not legally available for "walk-up hire" (unlike a Taxi, which, logically, is on Bandy's list), generally same as for a 'Licensed Limousine'.
Would be good to hear from an experienced Taxi Operator on this - someone who's done the full 'Operator Accreditation' course with TMR. It's probably been covered during that.
The proven "fall back position" in any situation is always "My car, my rules".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've researched the Legislation and Regulations, from time to time, and can never find anything that prohibits it in Qld for passengers; the driver, however, is specifically prohibited, however. Haven't checked them recently though - things may have changed, especially with the ride booking legalisation.
I've also seen, somewhere, a catch-all addition to Bandy's list of Public Places, which said in effect:"anywhere the public may have reasonable and lawful access to". This wider definition also enables you to be done for "urinating in public".
Not sure if an Uber is a "Public Place", however, as they are not legally available for "walk-up hire" (unlike a Taxi, which, logically, is on Bandy's list), generally same as for a 'Licensed Limousine'.
Would be good to hear from an experienced Taxi Operator on this - someone who's done the full 'Operator Accreditation' course with TMR. It's probably been covered during that.
The proven "fall back position" in any situation is always "My car, my rules".
Yes. I'm seeing the same. No specific prohibition in QLD for passengers. Many sites are quoting NSW rules which allow it and saying most states are in line with each other. As long as the alcohol is not being consumed by the person in charge of the vehicle it seems OK.

Still happy for others to chime in with any further info.

All I can say for certain is the search function on QLD Govt. websites is beyond useless and seems purposefully designed to obfuscate and confuse so that you'll give up.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
No neither am I that's why I'm asking. I'd hate to make my riders have to abide by a law that exists only in Hollywood movies. (Which is where I get most of my info from) :(
If you don't know, then it's much better to be safer rather than sorry.

Don't be a party bus for these pax if a hefty fine and/or suspended license come as consequences.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Been getting a few riders wanting to know if they can bring their open beer can in the car.
I'm sure there's a law against it but just wanted to double check in QLD.
whether it is legal or not i wouldn't allow it. all you need is someone to spill it all over the seat or floor and then having to clean it up and try to get rid of the smell. Its not as bad as puke but i would still try to avoid it:)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If you don't know, then it's much better to be safer rather than sorry.

Don't be a party bus for these pax if a hefty fine and/or suspended license come as consequences.
Is Lyft better than Uber EX_ ?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I had a recent falling out with Uber (CSR dispute turned deactivation), So I'm doing Lyft while I look for a real second job to replace the rideshare entirely. I'm in the United States btw.

In my area, the quality of Lyft pax are generally well-mannered and easier to tolerate. However, trip frequency is less (40/60 on average). So many part-timers probably won't make the same total pay per week as with Uber, but the in-app tipping helps make up the difference a lot of the time.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
We really only have Uber.
A few other, very small players.
You have Juno over there. They look like a good thing.
Ciao Bro...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts