·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pro Lyft
  • in-App tipping
  • Pays 100% of cancellation fees
  • Pays return tolls
  • Pays time between arrival and rider's appearance.
  • Better (subjectively) customer service
Pro Uber
  • More & Closer Pings per hour due to larger market share
  • Pays selected surcharges that Lyft does not (example: Conn. into NYC)
  • Talk in-person to company representative in Greenlight Hubs
  • UberEats provides additional delivery option for drivers to profit
Similar
  • In most cities, similar base pay, per mile and per minute
  • UberPool similar to Lyft-Line
  • Similar general driver policies on deactivation, service animals, etc.
  • No consequences for low acceptance rate, but excessive cancellations penalized.
What do you think? What have I left out?

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
Pro Lyft
  • in-App tipping
  • Pays return tolls
Pro Uber
Similar
You better take me and my dogs where I want to go, no time limit on 2 stop fares "take your time," maybe one is a little more friendly to those of the "alternative lifestyle" hence pink.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I hate that with Lyft you need at least $50 to cash out. Uber on the other hand their threshold is much less ($1) but at the same time, see the threads I've responded on where they "force" you to use GoBank Card instead of your commercial bank (credit unions seem to be fine but I'm not part of a credit union so that doesn't help me).

Customer Support: Lyft's response time is better than Uber's, and less canned-responsey, but on the other hand, Lyft seems pro rider and almost anti-driver in a lot of instances.

I like Lyft's app interface better.

The one thing I like about Uber over Lyft is that (unless its changed in the last month since I've used them), YOU the driver can cancel without penalty. Lyft on the other hand they say there's an acceptance rating system that can get you deactivated if you cancel too many rides. Mileage varies on that, since a lot of folks here have said they cancel and have a low acceptance rate (with nag texts to accept more rides) but are fine.

And of course, what Lyft has over Uber, like the OP mentioned, in-app tipping.

As for the Greenlight Sessions...what's weird its when I first started with Lyft they had an equivalent, but they seemed to have stopped for some reason. Uber though has those on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I'm starting to see that they're three times a week and bi-weekly for my area.

I've heard mixed things about UberEats, so I'm thinking instead I might sign up for GrubHub and try it out.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In
I hate that with Lyft you need at least $50 to cash out. Uber on the other hand their threshold is much less ($1) but at the same time, see the threads I've responded on where they "force" you to use GoBank Card instead of your commercial bank (credit unions seem to be fine but I'm not part of a credit union so that doesn't help me).

Customer Support: Lyft's response time is better than Uber's, and less canned-responsey, but on the other hand, Lyft seems pro rider and almost anti-driver in a lot of instances.

I like Lyft's app interface better.

The one thing I like about Uber over Lyft is that (unless its changed in the last month since I've used them), YOU the driver can cancel without penalty. Lyft on the other hand they say there's an acceptance rating system that can get you deactivated if you cancel too many rides. Mileage varies on that, since a lot of folks here have said they cancel and have a low acceptance rate (with nag texts to accept more rides) but are fine.

And of course, what Lyft has over Uber, like the OP mentioned, in-app tipping.

As for the Greenlight Sessions...what's weird its when I first started with Lyft they had an equivalent, but they seemed to have stopped for some reason. Uber though has those on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I'm starting to see that they're three times a week and bi-weekly for my area.

I've heard mixed things about UberEats, so I'm thinking instead I might sign up for GrubHub and try it out.
In my past ubereats experience i would definitely try grubhub.

There are pros and cons between uber and lyft, In my experience the pay is the same and both are pro rider than driver.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Some will tell you Lyft PAX are better than Uber PAX. I have not found that to be true in fact they are basically the same people. It makes sense for PAX like drivers to use both. Uber surging use Lyft. No Lyft drivers around use Uber.
Also Uber tends to surge more meaning more $ for the driver.
Both have weekly driver promotions some good some not so good. Figure out which ones work best for you.
Apps are similar Uber's does a better job of showing where the surge is compared to Lyft's showing PrimeTime.
Although minimal Lyft pays for wait time and even has a built in 5 minute count down clock.
All in all they are very similar I will add Lyft does a much better job staying out of the news. Uber seems to have a weekly screw up.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Pro Lyft
  • in-App tipping
  • Pays return tolls
Pro Uber
Similar
Pro Uber

- Uber knows that they are a bunch of dooshbags and admit it.

Anti Lyft

- Lyft tries to hide the fact that they are a bunch of dooshbags with references to a non-existent "Lyft community" composed of drivers, pax and the company itself
- Annoying pax who get in the car and say, "I take Lyft because they treat the drivers so much better!". Then, as well as spouting that nonsense which is 100% false, they don't tip.

All in all they are very similar I will add Lyft does a much better job staying out of the news. Uber seems to have a weekly screw up.
Precisely. Lyft is just as bad as Uber; the only difference is that Lyft has the good sense not to say idiotic/imprudent/misogynistic/avaricious/drunken nonsense in public where there are cameras/dashcams/reporters.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I've only taken advantage of the surge thing (or is it Primetime? I conflate the terms all the time sorry) on Lyft, can't seem to ever get it on Uber.

Yes its roughly the same as far a both having jerk pax, but I've encountered more jerks with Uber. But the split is close, I'd say 55:45 in favor of Uber. Though the pit stop pax ("Hey can you take me to 7-11 its on the way home") have always happened exclusively on Lyft.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a Lyft thing, or just because I drive from home and live in a rural area, but after recently going online with Lyft the ride requests have come from pax more than 25 minutes away, and from urban areas close to Philly where it's reasonable to assume that they will either be short rides, or take me farther away from home. When I let the requests time out, I get a text from Lyft telling me to sh*t or get the pot if I'm not available to drive.

With Uber the pings come from locations closer to home or further out in remote areas where I feel confident the drive will be long enough to pay for itself and then some.

I contacted Lyft support to ask if there's a way to set a time/distance radius for requests and it took a couple days to get a response (which was "No, but thanks for asking."). But whenever I have needed to contact Uber support I get a response within an hour.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I would get far away pings from Lyft too, beginning at the start of this year. I emailed Lyft about it, they explained that the longer I am online, "the wider my radius becomes" depending on available Lyft drivers. So when I cut it on I won't instantly get a 25+ minute away ping, but if I stay online long enough I will. They suggested cutting off the app, or switching to rider mode and back, to sort of "reset" that. I typically do the latter every 10 minutes, but this process also means if you opt in for power bonuses, that require you to stay logged in at least 55 minutes straight, you won't get it.

I also asked about the "stacking pings" thing, they said the only solution to this is to make whatever ride you're on the last ride. I typically do this when I do Lyft at the airport.

I contacted Lyft support to ask if there's a way to set a time/distance radius for requests and it took a couple days to get a response (which was "No, but thanks for asking."). But whenever I have needed to contact Uber support I get a response within an hour.

YMMV.
My experience has been the exact opposite. Lyft will take no less than an hour, but they'll respond. Uber on the other hand, 24/48 hours later.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Most Lyft pax are cheap, promo code user (free rides), and rarely tip. If they do tip, it's like $1 - $2 but no more than $5. You'll never get a $20 tip from a Lyft pax while it's pretty common from Uber pax.

Lyft is very strict on acceptance rate. They will harass you relentlessly with "you have low acceptance" by email, text, and during incoming request "low acceptance warning" pop up. They also harass you if you quit or airplane mode during incoming request. This is the number one reason why Lyft will never be as successful as Uber during late night or early morning hours because drivers will simply log off rather than being online getting bombarded with 15 - 20 minutes away requests.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a Lyft thing, or just because I drive from home and live in a rural area, but after recently going online with Lyft the ride requests have come from pax more than 25 minutes away, and from urban areas close to Philly where it's reasonable to assume that they will either be short rides, or take me farther away from home. When I let the requests time out, I get a text from Lyft telling me to sh*t or get the pot if I'm not available to drive.

With Uber the pings come from locations closer to home or further out in remote areas where I feel confident the drive will be long enough to pay for itself and then some.

YMMV.
Has a lot to do with the fact that there are fewer Lyft drivers so you get requests from long distances.

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Some will tell you Lyft PAX are better than Uber PAX. I have not found that to be true in fact they are basically the same people. It makes sense for PAX like drivers to use both. Uber surging use Lyft. No Lyft drivers around use Uber.
Also Uber tends to surge more meaning more $ for the driver.
Both have weekly driver promotions some good some not so good. Figure out which ones work best for you.
Apps are similar Uber's does a better job of showing where the surge is compared to Lyft's showing PrimeTime.
Although minimal Lyft pays for wait time and even has a built in 5 minute count down clock.
I actually prefer uber passangers.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Some will tell you Lyft PAX are better than Uber PAX. I have not found that to be true in fact they are basically the same people. It makes sense for PAX like drivers to use both. ......
I've hard the same thing but have yet to see a difference in the quality of pax between the two. both have their fair share of a-holes as well as very pleasant riders.

a couple differences I've noticed is lyft pax tend to cancel the ride before you get there notably more often than uber pax. uber's driver app is better executed than lyft's except I don't know why uber can't calculate earnings right away like lyft. I kinda like that uber has a separate app for rider and driver - easier to spot other drivers without switching modes.

other than that, they're virtually one in the same and one doesn't have a substantial advantage over the other, in my experience at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I've been driving only a month on Uber and a week on Lyft. Just noticed one big difference in app that no one has mentioned. Uber shows in the app what I am earning. Lyft seems to show what I've racked up for the night BEFORE taking out their fee. Is this right?

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
So I've been driving only a month on Uber and a week on Lyft. Just noticed one big difference in app that no one has mentioned. Uber shows in the app what I am earning. Lyft seems to show what I've racked up for the night BEFORE taking out their fee. Is this right?
Yes

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Yep, you have to go into your dashboard to see exactly what you will get paid from Lyft after their cut.

There are times, what I get paid from Lyft is actually more than what they show. Reason is in app tips are not included in the ride payments that are displayed, but they are shown in the dashboard where you see the amount Lyft will pay you.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Lyft Cons
  • Farther pings.
  • Less riders (compared to Uber).
  • Seems to be former Uber riders who were banned or have ratings so low on Uber, no one will pick them up.
  • Quality of pax on Premier seem to be on par with UberX.

Lyft Pro
  • Ability for pax to tip in-app.
  • Post 5-minute wait expiration counts towards time rate payment, if trip starts. I wish Uber would incorporate this!

Uber Con
  • Well, all have already been listed.

Uber Pros
  • Higher ridership quantity vs Lyft (Select and Premier)

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Lyft Cons
  • Farther pings.
  • Less riders (compared to Uber).
  • Seems to be former Uber riders who were banned or have ratings so low on Uber, no one will pick them up.
  • Quality of pax on Premier seem to be on par with UberX.

Lyft Pro
  • Ability for pax to tip in-app.
  • Post 5-minute wait expiration counts towards time rate payment, if trip starts. I wish Uber would incorporate this!

Uber Con
  • Well, all have already been listed.

Uber Pros
  • Higher ridership quantity vs Lyft (Select and Premier)
I've only done 3 a Premier pings, but they were all really cool. Even though one guy had a 3.2 rating I took it. Turned out to be a really nice pilot.

Uber at least in Phoenix does now count wait time for the trip.
Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Electric blue

The only thing I absolutely love about Lyfts app is the ability (not always) to see exactly where the pax is at. I can even tell when they are walking towards my car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts