Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think this thread will help everyone out. I'll make a summary list with everyones suggestions.

I currently keep a log of the Kms I drive for Uber (start to finish) and of personal usage and plan to claim % of Insurance, Gas and other car Expenses. Also, planning to claim 50% on Phone Bill. 100% on 407. I also know you can claim 50% of meals but I personally can't be bothered to keep a track of those LOL.

HST - I will decide if the quick method or "actual" expenses I have give me more HST Credit at the end of the year.

Summary - Tax Write Offs

1. Vehicle Use Related (only % of Driven for Uber/Total Driven)

a. Insurance
b. Gas
c. Oil Changes/Maintaince
d. Lease Payments

2. Phone Bill

3. 407 - Toll Charges

4. 50% of Meals

5. Vehicle Depreciation - If you use it 75% or more for Uber/Business

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about depreciation??? And with the mileage we put while doing Uber is not accurate as they show on the tax summary. We drive way more than that while looking for rides.
I keep a personal log, I just write down the starting Kms when I leave my driveway and come back - when going for Uber only purposes.

Also, I don't know about claiming depreciation, I've heard you can't claim it unless you use it as a Business Only vehicle - not really clear on it. Maybe someone with experience can shine some light.

·
Premium Member
6,949 Posts
I think this thread will help everyone out. I'll make a summary list with everyones suggestions.

I currently keep a log of the Kms I drive for Uber (start to finish) and of personal usage and plan to claim % of Insurance, Gas and other car Expenses. Also, planning to claim 50% on Phone Bill. 100% on 407. I also know you can claim 50% of meals but I personally can't be bothered to keep a track of those LOL.

HST - I will decide if the quick method or "actual" expenses I have give me more HST Credit at the end of the year.

Summary - Tax Write Offs

1. Vehicle Use Related (only % of Driven for Uber/Total Driven)

a. Insurance
b. Gas
c. Oil Changes/Maintaince
d. Lease Payments

2. Phone Bill

3. 407 - Toll Charges

4. 50% of Meals

5. Vehicle Depreciation - If you use it 75% or more for Uber/Business
find accountant

we are forum accountants

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes you can deduct meals. Register a business and start treating this like a business, that means you can write off shit loads of stuff.
I went to an information session with CRA employees. I was "invited" just to go over my records and give me some tips to file my taxes the right way. It was not a formal audit. I was told taxi drivers can't deduct meals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.