Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that at a local large retirement community there’s various residents selling driving services, to doctors offices, airports etc.
The PUC talks about driver for hire categories like Private Carriers, PCS, TCP.
Any theories as to whether these guys are possibly legal & insured, or just winging it uninsured and hoping for the best.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
I noticed that at a local large retirement community there's various residents selling driving services, to doctors offices, airports etc.
The PUC talks about driver for hire categories like Private Carriers, PCS, TCP.
Any theories as to whether these guys are possibly legal & insured, or just winging it uninsured and hoping for the best.
In the old days many of these places used yellow cabs to transport their citizens, especially since they're being fleeced for thousands of dollars each month. Nowadays, many use U/L for individuals trips requests or have their own shuttles and drivers, but that can be very expensive with insurance needs, and driver salaries and benefits added in, so to save money these Vulture Companies materialize out of thin air and attempt to do what Chariot tried to do (private mass transport of groups), which contracting with low paid drivers for pennies on the dollar, as U/L are already doing.

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the old days many of these places used yellow cabs to transport their citizens, especially since they're being fleeced for thousands of dollars each month. Nowadays, many use U/L for individuals trips requests or have their own shuttles and drivers, but that can be very expensive with insurance needs, and driver salaries and benefits added in, so to save money these Vulture Companies materialize out of thin air and attempt to do what Chariot tried to do (private mass transport of groups), which contracting with low paid drivers for pennies on the dollar, as U/L are already doing.
This is individuals living in the same community of houses & apartments offering various direct paid services, like Cleaning or Food Shopping, one of which is often Driving.
I'm guessing the driving is illegal/uninsured unless they have TCP numbers, though these guys aren't including one on their classified ads or business cards.
They also eg approach seniors using walkers in nearby stores, kinda like the SFO pirates, to ask "are you still driving".
The PUC site mentions other categories like Private Carriers or PCS, but in impenetrable legalese, so I wondered what people here knew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts