Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took mom to lunch in Ames today so I logged on after. Got a trip from Wal Mart South Duff to West of Campus, net fare was $6.33, ouch. Lincoln Way is also a construction disaster with only one lane open each way. Unless its surging or your leaving town it's hard to see how Ames would work very well for drivers, although the rider went on about how insanely cheap it is for him. I was also in Story City and noticed the driver app lets you log on that far up, so apparently we can pick up there too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live north of Story City but work in Ames. I have a kid that also does dance class 20 hours/week in Ames. I signed up for Uber to have something productive to do with my 'dead' time while I'm normally just sitting in the dance studio waiting for her to finish class. I like the short jaunts around Ames. :) My biggest fear is someone will ping me and want to go to Des Moines ten minutes before the kid gets done with class. I'm reading all the stuff here and have learned that I can call and ask the Pax where they're headed and such. Not something to do all the time, but I'm going to start doing it toward the end of my intended 'shift'.

Anyway, I'm glad Uber is in Ames now to give it a try, but it's certainly never going to be my full time job! Still, if I earn an extra $100/month during time that was otherwise lost/wasted for me, I'll be thrilled.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I live north of Story City but work in Ames. I have a kid that also does dance class 20 hours/week in Ames. I signed up for Uber to have something productive to do with my 'dead' time while I'm normally just sitting in the dance studio waiting for her to finish class. I like the short jaunts around Ames. :) My biggest fear is someone will ping me and want to go to Des Moines ten minutes before the kid gets done with class. I'm reading all the stuff here and have learned that I can call and ask the Pax where they're headed and such. Not something to do all the time, but I'm going to start doing it toward the end of my intended 'shift'.

Anyway, I'm glad Uber is in Ames now to give it a try, but it's certainly never going to be my full time job! Still, if I earn an extra $100/month during time that was otherwise lost/wasted for me, I'll be thrilled.
I think this is the right attitude to have. I earn an extra 700-1000 a month that goes almost entirely to debt/student loans and paying cash for things. It is for situations like this that Uber is great supplemental income.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Other alternative BizyMom is that when you show up to pick up the peep, just ask them where you are to take them before they get in the car. I quit asking "where are you going" because I had peeps saying "Buffalo" - meaning I would be taking them to the airport so they could fly to Buffalo.

Reactions: BizyMom
1 - 4 of 4 Posts