Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber needs to change the rating system so that it is based on weighted averages. This means that if a Pax has a shitty rating, their rating won't count as highly against a driver as a Pax with a more perfect rating. Anyone with me on this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Uber needs to change the rating system so that it is based on weighted averages. This means that if a Pax has a shitty rating, their rating won't count as highly against a driver as a Pax with a more perfect rating. Anyone with me on this? Thoughts?
So many suggestions, unfortunately Uber mangement don't give a crap about any suggestions by drivers or so called partners and for the pax " YOUR PERSONAL DRIVER "

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So many suggestions, unfortunately Uber mangement don't give a crap about any suggestions by drivers or so called partners and for the pax " YOUR PERSONAL DRIVER "
Well then who suggested those recent app updates? Uber claimed to have listened to someone's feedback in the field.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well then who suggested those recent app updates? Uber claimed to have listened to someone's feedback in the field.
Key word 'claimed' they do not listen to any feedback from anyone. They send out those 'what can we do better' 'how happy are you' surveys to help prove their side in litigation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Key word 'claimed' they do not listen to any feedback from anyone. They send out those 'what can we do better' 'how happy are you' surveys to help prove their side in litigation.
Have you ever visited an office? Are you using the right channels? I will admit, the email support is useless but unless you've taken the time to talk to someone in one of the offices you can't say they won't listen to feedback.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you ever visited an office? Are you using the right channels? I will admit, the email support is useless but unless you've taken the time to talk to someone in one of the offices you can't say they won't listen to feedback.
I use to visit an office and at one point I used the right channels... BUT REMEMBER, Uber is only here to cover their ass and not yours...
Simply put, the one's who are developing and making the big bucks DO NOT listen to feedback.

There have been thousands of suggestions on ratings, tips, etc. and they have not been implemented.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use to visit an office and at one point I used the right channels... BUT REMEMBER, Uber is only here to cover their ass and not yours...
Simply put, the one's who are developing and making the big bucks DO NOT listen to feedback.
Listening is one thing. Implementing every idea is virtually impossible. For example, even idea companies like Qurky.com don't buy into every so-called "good" idea for various reasons.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Funny you mention that. The same idea struck me. The problem is the rating system as it is, is by intent and design. It is a tool meant to manipulate drivers. It is not intended to be fair, even handed or informative. It is meant to induce fear and control how and when people drive. It is about fear.

That said, one would think that say a new pax takes X amount of rides. Sometimes they rate a driver, other times they don't right? So, the frequency of that vote in and of itself could be a factor. Also, you could suggest that the "votes" of any one pax shouldn't count until they have established a a history of participating in the actual rating system. They would need to rate a certain number of drivers over a particular period of time. There should be some sort of distribution with respect to how they vote. You would think they could then apply a curve to the way that particular pax votes so they are properly distributed with those of every other pax who bother to vote regularly.

Honestly: That would require sea change at Uber HQ. Travis would need to leave or come in touch with the part of his being that contains just an ounce of empathy. The rating system is someting other than what they claim in public.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Toss in there that you must have 10 rides under your belt before you can rate AND if your using a free coupon you can't rate.

Nothing worse than a drunk using UBER for the first time and unsure of the APP giving you 1-4 stars thinking it's good. Toss in there they screw your ratings up with a free coupon.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You can call it a tool to manipulate drivers, but the intent is a reasonable business goal: to maximize the quality of rides provided to paying customers and incentivze drivers to provide maximum customer service. One of the reasons taxis provide crappy service is that there is no rating system....the cabbie is never going to see you again, so who cares if the cab smells, the driver doesn't go the right route, or doesn't speak any english etc.....

It provides a way for Uber to deactivate crappy drivers. How else would they know who is crappy who is good?

The idea to "weight" ratings is a good one but once you start down that path....there are a great many possible weighting strategies, not all of which are good for drivers. For example, light weight to a pax who rates you at 5 stars -- but the pax rates every driver at 5 stars! Just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can call it a tool to manipulate drivers, but the intent is a reasonable business goal: to maximize the quality of rides provided to paying customers and incentivze drivers to provide maximum customer service. One of the reasons taxis provide crappy service is that there is no rating system....the cabbie is never going to see you again, so who cares if the cab smells, the driver doesn't go the right route, or doesn't speak any english etc.....

It provides a way for Uber to deactivate crappy drivers. How else would they know who is crappy who is good?

The idea to "weight" ratings is a good one but once you start down that path....there are a great many possible weighting strategies, not all of which are good for drivers. For example, light weight to a pax who rates you at 5 stars -- but the pax rates every driver at 5 stars! Just my 2 cents!!
Indeed

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
"Dear valued customer, here is your complimentary breathaliser. We ask all our valued customers to provide their b.a.c. at the time of their ride and the time of their rating of the driver. Your blood alcohol content will be rated on a five star scale with five being........ Well that's perhaps none of our business how you got five stars."

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Riders who have bad ratings try to even by giving drivers bad ratings back, a vicious circle jerk. I love the riders that offer up tips for 5 stars from drivers.

Hard to think 9 five stars and 1 drunk 1 star puts you on the bubble at 4.6

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

It is a way to manage driver cheaply. It allows them some sense of control without ever having to know who there drivers are.

As far as comparisons to taxis and there service. Give it time. Uber is still in the honeymoon phase with the general public. The wheels are in fact already coming off that wagon which reads our service is better than that of taxis. Uber is creating its own set of concerns. The concerns about navigation, Uber clearly has an issue with that despite GPS. As for language..... Just wait, it probably already is an issue in many markets. People need to learn to communicate.

I will say this, much of the issue of taxis you mention is a matter of scale. I work for a small by city standards taxi company in a town with a large university. The scale of the taxi companies here are such that they are manageable. The scale Uber operates at is monumental, it will haunt them, it is already a problem.

I know that many of the driver driving Uber on weekends in my town are from all over the state of PA. They have no idea where they are going. I talked to one driver who turned out to be from Philly, a nice enough guy...... I razzed him a bit for not being able to find the taco bell....... He was looking for 325 East College. There are no odd numbered building on College Ave downtown, yet round and round he went, but he was a nice guy.

The point is, Uber is very much in the honeymoon phase. It is travis who loves nothing more than to have all their drivers focussed on how superior Uber service is to that of the taxi cab industry. Uber is new. There are so many flaws and deceits such as the surge pricing system. Under that system, 3/4 of the time the driver gets screwed while Uber takes their cut, the rest of the time, the passengers get fleeced on their ride home.

The bottom line is the rating system is very basic stuff. The flaws are beyond obvious. Given the kind of person travis Kalanick is, the philosophy behind venture capital, the way Uber rushes into any market before regulation or competition arrives on the scene. Everything they do is highly controlled and well thought out.

The rating system is what it is by design. If it wasn't, they would bend over backwards to change it because the reality is so patently obvious.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
To Huberis, I agree with the point on scale...that smaller sized taxi organizations are generally excellent especially if they are not in a major city. There's no need for a ratings system for these organizations, because drivers are actually managed by a human.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a way to manage driver cheaply. It allows them some sense of control without ever having to know who there drivers are.

As far as comparisons to taxis and there service. Give it time. Uber is still in the honeymoon phase with the general public. The wheels are in fact already coming off that wagon which reads our service is better than that of taxis. Uber is creating its own set of concerns. The concerns about navigation, Uber clearly has an issue with that despite GPS. As for language..... Just wait, it probably already is an issue in many markets. People need to learn to communicate.

I will say this, much of the issue of taxis you mention is a matter of scale. I work for a small by city standards taxi company in a town with a large university. The scale of the taxi companies here are such that they are manageable. The scale Uber operates at is monumental, it will haunt them, it is already a problem.

I know that many of the driver driving Uber on weekends in my town are from all over the state of PA. They have no idea where they are going. I talked to one driver who turned out to be from Philly, a nice enough guy...... I razzed him a bit for not being able to find the taco bell....... He was looking for 325 East College. There are no odd numbered building on College Ave downtown, yet round and round he went, but he was a nice guy.

The point is, Uber is very much in the honeymoon phase. It is travis who loves nothing more than to have all their drivers focussed on how superior Uber service is to that of the taxi cab industry. Uber is new. There are so many flaws and deceits such as the surge pricing system. Under that system, 3/4 of the time the driver gets screwed while Uber takes their cut, the rest of the time, the passengers get fleeced on their ride home.

The bottom line is the rating system is very basic stuff. The flaws are beyond obvious. Given the kind of person travis Kalanick is, the philosophy behind venture capital, the way Uber rushes into any market before regulation or competition arrives on the scene. Everything they do is highly controlled and well thought out.

The rating system is what it is by design. If it wasn't, they would bend over backwards to change it because the reality is so patently obvious.
Yeah, I am sure this unfair rating system is a part of some larger scheme. They only truly want the cream of the crop driving long-term which is why the unrealistic high expectations. But it is true, if you have high expectations, you generally get higher output out of workers versus low expectations.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
1 - 20 of 72 Posts