Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have read a few threads and seen what some of us (Uber/Lyft) drivers earn. May be I'm a hard head and need more clarification. On average how much can a full time (by full time I mean 40-50 hours) Seattle Area Uber Driver earn? I'd appreciate if you answer in net income. Thanks a Bunch! G!

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
I don't do late friday or saturdays and I average around 20-25 hr. However, that does not factor in depreciation or gas. I use a prius, average 50 mpg, fill up about once a wk or so.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I don't do late friday or saturdays and I average around 20-25 hr. However, that does not factor in depreciation or gas. I use a prius, average 50 mpg, fill up about once a wk or so.
Can that average be sustained for 40-60 hours? Maybe there are too many slow hours for that to be realistic.

That's what the OP is wondering...working fulltime.

That income appeals to me, a cab driver. Though, as you said, it's before depreciation and repairs. At least you have more flexible hours than me, whereas I must rent a cab from 5 pm to 5 pm, whereas it would be nicer 2-3 or 3-3 for the night shift.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I can't vouch for this, but a regular uber driver that lives near me said he consistently averages $15/hr in profit driving 30-40 hours/wk. (he was my ride to the airport)

That said, shit happens. Just drove Saturday night and made a whopping $12/hr in profit. Got pulled away to the outskirts and everything went downhill from there.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I will say it varies, sometimes pings flow and i can do ok and others it can go downhill. There are variables

·
Registered
89 Posts
I vary from $12 to $ 16 an hour take home. Most people see a big deposit every week. But, do not deduct the true cost of driving a vehicle 200,000 miles. My vehicle cost about .40 per mile including gas, repairs, insurance, initial cost, parts, other. These long term cost obviously do not show up short term, but consider the true cost is important.
That being said, an airport run seems great until you do the math.
For example from downtown it is about $30 to the passenger.
Uber takes there 20%. Giving me $24... so far so good.
I only get a PAX back from the airport maybe 1 out of 40 times. So heading back to the city is deadhead time.
16 miles to air port and 16 miles back to Seattle. 32 miles and 45 minutes later.
32 miles x .40 = $ 12.80
$ 24 dollars to me - $ 12.80 operating cost = 11.20 profit / 45 minutes = $ 14 dollars an hour
And that is for considerable risk to drive that far - lots of exposure to things potentially going wrong.

Bottom line. Uber needs to charge more add a tip feature (and stop telling passengers a tip is included) and take less than %20. Right now Uber charge at 1/2 the cost of a taxi. We offer better service and Uber provides a great platform.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I vary from $12 to $ 16 an hour take home. Most people see a big deposit every week. But, do not deduct the true cost of driving a vehicle 200,000 miles. My vehicle cost about .40 per mile including gas, repairs, insurance, initial cost, parts, other. These long term cost obviously do not show up short term, but consider the true cost is important.
That being said, an airport run seems great until you do the math.
For example from downtown it is about $30 to the passenger.
Uber takes there 20%. Giving me $24... so far so good.
I only get a PAX back from the airport maybe 1 out of 40 times. So heading back to the city is deadhead time.
16 miles to air port and 16 miles back to Seattle. 32 miles and 45 minutes later.
32 miles x .40 = $ 12.80
$ 24 dollars to me - $ 12.80 operating cost = 11.20 profit / 45 minutes = $ 14 dollars an hour
And that is for considerable risk to drive that far - lots of exposure to things potentially going wrong.

Bottom line. Uber needs to charge more add a tip feature (and stop telling passengers a tip is included) and take less than %20. Right now Uber charge at 1/2 the cost of a taxi. We offer better service and Uber provides a great platform.
Totally agree. It's not difficult to add up all the costs and create a per mile cost, but if your personal insurance is no different than what it would be if you weren't driving Uber, that really shouldn't be included, unless you're using a per mile insurance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Totally agree. It's not difficult to add up all the costs and create a per mile cost, but if your personal insurance is no different than what it would be if you weren't driving Uber, that really shouldn't be included, unless you're using a per mile insurance.
I do not think most drivers add up the true operating cost.

As far as insurance goes. I use MetroMile as anyone working for Uber or Lyft should. It is the only one that holds up as a ride share insurance that works with Uber and Lyft. Although with Lyft it doesn't deduct the miles I drive to and from the passenger from my regular bill. It cost 3.6 cents per mile with a monthly base of about $ 30. All other insurance companies would drop you if they found out you drove for Uber or Lyft and if you get in an accident and they question why you have 30,000 miles on your new car in the last year... they could come after you for insurance fraud. Driving under personal insurance policies like StateFarm, AllState and Gieco not even Vern Fonk is a HUGE risk if something ever does happen or they find out you have been lying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts