Uber Drivers Forum banner

Wednesday Morning 4:15 am -2 Degrees

571 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  New guy65 
#1 ·
At 3:50 am my phone was showing some surge but not enough to get me on the road (yet).

Drinking my coffee, waiting.

At 4:15 even after a reboot my phone is showing no surge at all, anywhere. That can't be right.

Is anyone else having this problem?

App was last updated Jan 10 so a new version can't be blamed either.

EDIT: Oh wait... now it's showing a tiny bit of surge near the Loop. Really? Did we just get Hammer Timed?

#5 ·
5:50 AM. Surging big on the west side now. Surge kind of took a dive on the south side, particular near me on the SW side where there's none at all in a 5 mile radius. I'd for sure be out there chasing it if I didn't have a 9 am doctor appointment. This whole morning might be a bust for me.

#6 · (Edited)
6 AM. Idk... the surge is kindof flaky and middling at times this morning. I'm starting to think that a lot of people stayed home from work because of the extreme cold. Or maybe because they got hit with a high Uber fare yesterday and don't want to do that again.

I'm not feeling like getting out there if I only have a couple hours of driving and I might be sitting and waiting for surge or having to chase it long distances and risk losing it.

#7 ·
6:20 AM... yup I'm calling it a bust. Not gonna drive. Maybe my 9 AM appointment was a blessing in disguise. Looks like it saved me some frustration and settling for weak surge in sub-zero temps.

I hope someone got some use or at least some amusement from this "saga". Clearly I have nothing better to do when I wake up at 3:40 am to drive but then don't LOL

#8 ·
Anthony,

In these instances where there should be a
Surge but your Driver app shows no surge you should pop open the Uber Rider app and get some quotes for a ride. Sometimes you will see Uber charging the customers 2x-3x the normal rates while offering the drivers base rates. I’ve seen them do that on many occasions and you can even see it in the fare history

#10 ·
I was warming up the car then when I clicked on the app a minute later it dropped to about $6 which was the same as 5 minutes before your screenshot by 830 is easier less than 3 and it was pretty much gone by 9am. I did 6 rides in 2 hours. 3 to/from dr appointments one for a Covid test as he needed it for an event and 2 to the gym and an Uber of shame. Not a single person to work even from the crowd that goes in late. Eats seems to have some decent requests but it will be done. Except this. Seems like requests from there always pay the same irrespective or distance or the number of deliveries, I always decline.
Light Font Line Screenshot Parallel

#14 ·
Less ants and higher promos dont go hand in hand. It’s usually quite the opposite and ctbs have generally been a net negative for earnings since inception at most times of the day. It’s different now than precovid or even the end of the year. Lower promos should mean less drivers but an increased probability of decent surges. We had the best of all scenarios in the summer as there was still a lot of tourism and less drivers as they were still taking the unemployment cash and Covid cases were down. To make money and have prolonged surges you need people going out. Not just at night but during the day as it keeps drivers from switching their driving times to when there is more demand

I was sent something a couple of days ago and last week and reservations on opentable for last week compared to 2019 were down 55% for Chicago. I dont know how many people used them to book a table as a % of restaurant capacity. I do know riders have said it’s hard to get dinner reservations at quality places. and I generally book directly through a restaurant or their website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.