Uber Drivers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Well, it looks like you know more about it that I do ... or my doctor, or CDC.

My doc tells me that two weeks after taking the second shot it is virtually impossible (yup, that's the word he used) to catch The China Virus. It is remotely possible to pass it on, very remote.
Science is a funny thing -- it has no political point of view. It is, or it isn't. MY vaccination protects ME.

So, if you want to be protected -- get your shot.
If you don't want to be protected -- go home.

Easy solutions.
We are still studying the virus and the vaccination effectiveness. When vaccinated, you can still acquire the virus, but your "viral load" is significantly diminished, which means you are also less infectious, but you can still be infectious. The vaccination prevents YOU from becoming very ill, but does not completely kill the virus. This is why masks continue to be recommended until we have more long-term data. There will probably be boosters for vaccines in the near future. I suspect we'll have annual shots for Covid just as we do for the flu and Gonorrhea. Wait... maybe just for Covid and the flu.

·
Premium Member
7,225 Posts
But you haven't mentioned anything about the pandemic we're in. It's very serious right now.
That's not relevant to whether I should be able to collect unemployment. I was a contractor, not a W-2 employee.

"Because I need it" isn't a legitimate excuse that I recognize. There are tons of things people think that they need.

That's why I keep an emergency fund. Because there are things I might need for real and couldn't afford to buy unless I had some savings.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
That's not relevant to whether I should be able to collect unemployment. I was a contractor, not a W-2 employee.

"Because I need it" isn't a legitimate excuse that I recognize. There are tons of things people think that they need.

That's why I keep an emergency fund. Because there are things I might need for real and couldn't afford to buy unless I had some savings.
I totally agree with you. However, we had an emergency fund last year when I lost my job...HAD. I even had a severance package that we stretched out as long as we could. The emergency fund still will eventually run dry if there is nothing to replace it. I began driving for Eats the very week that we would have suddenly been without anything, had no other choice. I am working now, certainly inconsistent at times and not rolling in dough, but I still need Uber as a supplement unfortunately.
That's not true.
I got the shot - I can't get The China Virus.
Yes, you can still get it. The vaccine diminishes the virus, which protects you from becoming seriously ill, and it makes you less infectious by decreasing the "viral load" in your body, but it does not completely prevent acquisition of, or spreading of, the virus. I have been vaccinated since February, but I still am cautious because I can still get it and I can still spread it. If we can reach approximately 85% of the population being vaccinated, then we will be in a much better spot and probably ditch our masks, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I started driving again last June...damn near a year ago. I've logged on every month, even during the winter surge in November, December, and January. I even took a few passengers who didn't wear masks. Also, I was working my W-2 job that entire time, in very close proximity to other people. Nothing happened.

Obviously, COVID-19 is a dangerous situation, but a little common sense goes a long way. You don't just get to collect free government money because you're scared. Driving for Lyft and Uber was a dangerous proposition long before COVID ever hit. Now, all of sudden, people want to just sit on their ass forever and claim COVID safety as their reason.

It's complete BS. If you don't want to work, try your hand at collecting SSI disability. With Biden in the White House, there's a pretty good chance you'll get it.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
We have a very distorted economy right now, held up by government printing dollars and throwing them in the air. Let's send out more stimulus checks and let people get UI forever! Our kids can become slaves to pay for it.

At what point do you have to get on as best you can. I've been vaccinated and I need to live my life, can't hide under the covers anymore. I try to be prudent but I've actually touched people again. I want to go back to living my best life with the relatively few years I have left.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
The vaccine diminishes the virus, which protects you from becoming seriously ill, and it makes you less infectious by decreasing the "viral load" in your body,
Right.
So I am protected.
IF you want to be protected get the shot -- but I don't care if you do or not.

Because, I am protected.

If me and another person are vaccinated, we are protected and we don't need masks.
If an entire cruise ship is full of people who are vaccinated, they are protected and don't need masks.

If you want to join us, get the shot. If not, stay home.
Either way, leave me alone. It's a free country.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Uh, the Orange Man told us to inject bleach into our bloodstream ...
I'm pretty sure he was just being senile and gabbing but that does not change the fact he had a vaccine for the public in 8 months and everything was set in to motion and what we have now is because of his actions. Don't get me wrong I'm not his biggest fan but the man has some pretty astonishing accomplishments. I give him credit for the vaccine not Joe.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
We have a very distorted economy right now, held up by government printing dollars and throwing them in the air. Let's send out more stimulus checks and let people get UI forever! Our kids can become slaves to pay for it.

At what point do you have to get on as best you can. I've been vaccinated and I need to live my life, can't hide under the covers anymore. I try to be prudent but I've actually touched people again. I want to go back to living my best life with the relatively few years I have left.
According to the CDC you can be maskless outdoors everyone here in communist California still have them on. Last night I went to dinner and kept my mask off outside people were staring at me like I was a alien lol.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
According to the CDC you can be maskless outdoors everyone here in communist California still have them on. Last night I went to dinner and kept my mask off outside people were staring at me like I was a alien lol.
I'm a little north of you, in Free California.

It's always easy to spot a tourist in our area, but it's even easier now.
They the only ones wearing masks. LoL.

I was sitting in my neighborhood beer bar night before last. It's close and on the way to Lake Shasta so we see a lot of tourists stop in.
A young couple walked in, wide eyed and looked around pensively. They had a three year old with them ... also masked. (wifey was double masked, lol) I'm munching a juicy cheese burger with a beer behind it and I hear her say to hubby, shocked "NOBODY is masked. This isn't safe." He nodded with sincere concern. They turned and left.
The whole bar busted up laughing.

As the back end of a new BMW disappears out of the dusty parking lot you can hear the best wishes of us all ... "Enjoy your stay in Shasta County - come back soon."

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts

I was sitting in my neighborhood beer bar night before last. It's close and on the way to Lake Shasta so we see a lot of tourists stop in.
A young couple walked in, wide eyed and looked around pensively. They had a three year old with them ... also masked. (wifey was double masked, lol) I'm munching a juicy cheese burger with a beer behind it and I hear her say to hubby, shocked "NOBODY is masked. This isn't safe." He nodded with sincere concern. They turned and left.

As the back end of a new BMW disappears out of the dusty parking lot you can hear the best wishes of us all ... "Enjoy your stay in Shasta County - come back soon."
In life no one is safe.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Jobs are plentiful, covid cases are down, every adult can be vaccinated if they want. If healthy young people half my age want to sit home and let the government support them, that’s fine with me. It just means more money for me to make. Nothing in life is free. Eventually we will all have to pay for this in the form of higher taxes. Those who choose to not work may pay a higher price in the form physical and mental health problems, loss of work ethic, and possibly a lifetime of government dependence. By the time they realize they wasted their prime earning years, I’ll be chillin on a beach with a nice retirement nest egg.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Jobs are plentiful, covid cases are down, every adult can be vaccinated if they want. If healthy young people half my age want to sit home and let the government support them, that’s fine with me. It just means more money for me to make. Nothing in life is free. Eventually we will all have to pay for this in the form of higher taxes. Those who choose to not work may pay a higher price in the form physical and mental health problems, loss of work ethic, and possibly a lifetime of government dependence. By the time they realize they wasted their prime earning years, I’ll be chillin on a beach with a nice retirement nest egg.
Agreed! I started driving for Eats last year just as my severance package from my previous employer was about to run out, as I had been unable to find anything else at all despite my persistence. I am not of the mindset to practice sittin' on ass and not work when I am perfectly capable of doing what is necessary to help support my family, whether I enjoy it or not. Uber is NOT my career choice, it is a mere necessity until its not. I was, nor am I now, making anywhere near what I used to, but I am going to continue to work and earn instead of taking a handout. I could have qualified easily for continual unemployment, but I chose to work and earn more than I could have earned receiving unemployment. I get the stress, the constant issues, the depression. I have all of it same as most, but I choose to scratch and claw my way through until something gets better, as it eventually will. No matter how bad everything is, you have to keep moving or it only gets worse.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts

If they were not vaccinated, then it wasn't safe for them. Being the pop of 3 kids, I get the concern for their 3-year old. No one knows yet why some kids become ill and some do not. Only one of mine is old enough to receive their vaccination, and he has received the first of 2 thus far. I'm not risking my children's well-being for a cheeseburger and booze, tis' my choice. I certainly do not blame anyone else for feeling this way.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
If they were not vaccinated, then it wasn't safe for them. Being the pop of 3 kids, I get the concern for their 3-year old. No one knows yet why some kids become ill and some do not. Only one of mine is old enough to receive their vaccination, and he has received the first of 2 thus far. I'm not risking my children's well-being for a cheeseburger and booze, tis' my choice. I certainly do not blame anyone else for feeling this way.
Didn't hurt me a bit.
Leaves more cold beer for me.

And, yea ... they shudda stayed home.
Huddled in the dark and safety.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
The warehouse I work at is closing this summer. Some of the workers are going to decline their severance package so they can get on unemployment sooner. They’ve “done the math”. I just smile and nod my head. If they didn’t suck at math they would know getting a job and having a double income for the length of their severance payments is the correct answer.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
In life no one is safe.
Not to a snowflake from Marin County - - that is where fairies fart rose scents, and the government takes care of everything. It is where they laugh at us mouth breathing Neanderthals (who grow their food and supply their water).
It is the county where the 1% elite live.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Didn't hurt me a bit.
Leaves more cold beer for me.

And, yea ... they shudda stayed home.
Huddled in the dark and safety.
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

41 - 60 of 106 Posts