Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this deep in the Terms and Conditions:-

"the Fare is a recommended amount, and the primary purpose of the pre-arranged Fare is to act as the default amount in the event you do not negotiate a different amount. You shall always have the right to: (i) charge a fare that is less than the pre-arranged Fare; or (ii) negotiate, at your request, a Fare that is lower than the prearranged Fare (each of (i) and (ii) herein, a "Negotiated Fare"). Company shall consider all such requests from you in good faith."

So, we always have the right to charge less, but does not say we cannot charge more!!! It apparently is not up to Uber to set the fare, it can be negotiated.
So, if we turn up and say there will be a surcharge, and rider does not cancel, thats OK?

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
I found this deep in the Terms and Conditions:-

"the Fare is a recommended amount, and the primary purpose of the pre-arranged Fare is to act as the default amount in the event you do not negotiate a different amount. You shall always have the right to: (i) charge a fare that is less than the pre-arranged Fare; or (ii) negotiate, at your request, a Fare that is lower than the prearranged Fare (each of (i) and (ii) herein, a "Negotiated Fare"). Company shall consider all such requests from you in good faith."

So, we always have the right to charge less, but does not say we cannot charge more!!! It apparently is not up to Uber to set the fare, it can be negotiated.
So, if we turn up and say there will be a surcharge, and rider does not cancel, thats OK?
Tell the rider to cancel and then do a cashie.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, we always have the right to charge less
Or *Negotiate* down. Trying to picture this conversation with a passenger.
Driver - Your prearranged fare is totalling $20 but since you are a nice passenger not asking for mints, not destroying my doors or riding 500 meters, I suggest that we charge you $10, what do you say?
Passenger - No way, charge me $30 since I have no idea what to do with my money anyway!
Driver - No, no, I insist, please accept my negotiated fare!
Passenger - OK, OK, if I have to...

Still, aside from the abovementioned cash option, say we stick with the app, I don't see how can a driver charge AT ALL. Would Uber not automatically charge whatever Uber does as it always does? Then what, the driver has the right to email Sara begging her to reconsider DOWN?? And these will be considered in good faith?

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Or *Negotiate* down. Trying to picture this conversation with a passenger.
Driver - Your prearranged fare is totalling $20 but since you are a nice passenger not asking for mints, not destroying my doors or riding 500 meters, I suggest that we charge you $10, what do you say?
Passenger - No way, charge me $30 since I have no idea what to do with my money anyway!
Driver - No, no, I insist, please accept my negotiated fare!
Passenger - OK, OK, if I have to...

Still, aside from the abovementioned cash option, say we stick with the app, I don't see how can a driver charge AT ALL. Would Uber not automatically charge whatever Uber does as it always does? Then what, the driver has the right to email Sara begging her to reconsider DOWN?? And these will be considered in good faith?
I dont see a way of doing it through the app other then charging the full (Uber amount) and then requesting Sara to adjust the fare down... yea right.

This option is in the contract just so that Sara can better drive home the "private contractors" claim/nonsense in courts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This option is in the contract just so that Sara can better drive home the "private contractors" claim/nonsense in courts.
That would be insulting any judge's intelligence :)
First off, 'contractors controlling the price' should at least be able to charge both ways, up AND down, which is not happening, not even in the small print of T&C
Then, the described method still doesn't have a driver *charging* anything. Uber charges, driver begs to reconsider*, Uber considers "in good faith" and maybe adjusts :)) Down. As if.

*Insert the admin cost of wasting time emailing Uber into the regular driver's expenses here

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
It's actually about ACCC and price fixing. By allowing us to charge less than the 'floor' price, Uber aren't price fixing across 'multiple locations'. it's OK to set fees for contractors to charge at one location, but not across multiple locations, according to the ACCC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts